True Detective

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    The show definitely makes you read into things and connect dots that may not even be connected. Part of the fun.

• Obama???s Weekend in Sunnylands, With Lots of TV
    By MICHAEL D. SHEAR
    FEB. 12, 2014

WASHINGTON ??? President Obama has added an item to his agenda for Presidents??? Day weekend:

The leader of the free world is looking forward to binge-watching DVDs of his latest favorite television show: HBO???s edgy new ???True Detective??? series starring Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson.

Mr. Obama made a point of approaching HBO???s chief executive, Richard Plepler, at the state dinner for France on Tuesday night.

???Where is my True Detective and Game of Thrones???? Mr. Obama asked Mr. Plepler as he told him that the coming weekend would be a good time to have the DVDs.

That Mr. Obama is a fan of ???True Detective??? should come as no surprise. He is known to favor dark dramas like AMC???s ???Breaking Bad??? and HBO???s ???The Wire.??? Those are now off the air, and the president evidently needed to find a replacement.

In ???True Detective,??? Mr. McConaughey and Mr. Harrelson play investigators hunting for a serial killer in Louisiana. The series, which began last month, has a complex plot that unfolds in multiple timelines and flashbacks.

???Game of Thrones,??? soon to start its fourth season, depicts medieval battles in George R. R. Martin???s fictitious Seven Kingdoms.

After his conversation, Mr. Obama waved over one of his aides to make sure that Mr. Plepler knew where to send the DVDs to ensure they would make it through White House security and end up in the president???s hands.

Mr. Obama is scheduled to leave on Friday morning for a three-day trip to Sunnylands, the historic Annenberg estate in Rancho Mirage, Calif.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/13/us/politics/obamas-weekend-in-sunnylands-with-lots-of-tv.html?ref=politics&_r=0

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    So do Presidents treat President's Day like fathers treat Father's Day? Just do whatever you want, because fuck it, it's President's Day and I earned this?

DB_Cooper said:
    Just do whatever you want, because fuck it, it's President's Day and I earned this?

must be president's day every day in Pakistan and Yemen then.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    bassie said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Just do whatever you want, because fuck it, it's President's Day and I earned this?

must be president's day every day in Pakistan and Yemen then.

ZING

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Well, if y'all want to get technical it's no-apostrophe Presidents Day, a federal holiday that combined the celebrations of Washington's and Lincoln's birthdays into one. It ain't about Obama! And and and, to broaden this TV thread out to House of Cards, President Garrett Walker has to be the flimsiest prez ever, making you really question the credibility of anything at all on that show.

• white_tea said:
    Well, if y'all want to get technical it's no-apostrophe Presidents Day, a federal holiday that combined the celebrations of Washington's and Lincoln's birthdays into one. It ain't about Obama! And and and, to broaden this TV thread out to House of Cards, President Garrett Walker has to be the flimsiest prez ever, making you really question the credibility of anything at all on that show.

I think he's decently-cast actually.

• rootlesscosmo said:
    I hear you.

Still: veteran cop, on the trail of a sicko ritual killer, searching his freaky redneck compound....I'm just saying maybe he shoulda been a little more mentally prepared for what he encountered...which wasn't *that* shocking IMO.

But...

He thinks this is THE dude. A crazy hunt reveals the dude they're looking for, they've got him, but he's not just responsible for ritual killings of prostitutes, he's abusing children...

In the moment reaction, "fuck this dude, we're not even bringing him in. This shit ends now." I mean this is all on top of them already breaking a whole string of protocol. lm with you that it's kind of like "but why! There's more to learn." Also, dude was rambling the kind of insane mumbo jumbo that Hart gets upset about Rust saying.

• Who is the dude with the scars who made the little girl watch? Who has scars?

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    Who is the dude with the scars who made the little girl watch? Who has scars?

The travelling church women told Woody about the tall man with the shiny face (burn scar) = Reggoe Ledoux?
    The guy who's head got blown off by woody was tall but i couldn't make out a burn scar cause of his beard. Will watch again.

• cai said:
    Controller_7 said:
    Who is the dude with the scars who made the little girl watch? Who has scars?

The travelling church women told Woody about the tall man with the shiny face (burn scar) = Reggoe Ledoux?
    The guy who's head got blown off by woody was tall but i couldn't make out a burn scar cause of his beard. Will watch again.

It's not Ledoux, I think we know that.

You know who's tall? The Governor's cousin, the Pastor.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    All signs point to the pastor

• mickalphabetmickalphabet deep inna majestic segue 374 Posts
    motown67 said:

pastor to nab woody's goth daughter, rust to nearly save day

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    mickalphabet said:
    motown67 said:

nah...that would be public news by the time they are interviewed right? And that wouldn't explain current murder case new detectives are working on...

My current train of thought is I'm thinking this is going to be on some Skull & Bones type stuff -- mega high-ups (politicians, business dudes, religious folk, etc.) that do some weird Satanic schitt on the side. And as a result the ability to "nab" them is impeded by authority.

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    jlee said:
    mickalphabet said:
    motown67 said:

nah...that would be public news by the time they are interviewed right? And that wouldn't explain current murder case new detectives are working on...

My current train of thought is I'm thinking this is going to be on some Skull & Bones type stuff -- mega high-ups (politicians, business dudes, religious folk, etc.) that do some weird Satanic schitt on the side. And as a result the ability to "nab" them is impeded by authority.

If you follow the logic that this show was inspired/influenced by the Red Riding Trilogy, this is the correct answer. Hope that's not spoiling it for anyone but all signs would indicate......

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Frank Miller's "Sin City" is another working of that theme.

Archbishop Roark (Rutger Hauer IIRC) was true cannibaaal, and the Senator's brother.

• DocMcCoy said:
    Am I to gather from this that the Red Riding trilogy was broadcast by BBC America stateside, then? It was an indie production that got its first run on Channel 4 in the UK.

i meant to reply to this a while back but forgot:

"BBC" is the stateside disambiguation given to anything that originally aired in england. the fact that most of these shows are ACTUALLY aired on channel 4 is of very little concern to our american friends.

• vintageinfants said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    Am I to gather from this that the Red Riding trilogy was broadcast by BBC America stateside, then? It was an indie production that got its first run on Channel 4 in the UK.

"BBC" is the stateside disambiguation given to anything that originally aired in england. the fact that most of these shows are ACTUALLY aired on channel 4 is of very little concern to our american friends.

^said while xeroxing and drinking some coke that's really a Pepsi

• Herm said:
    vintageinfants said:
    DocMcCoy said:

^said while xeroxing and drinking some coke that's really a Pepsi

boo hoo! pass the kleenex???. i cant hear the H8r's, no need for q-tips???. #funwithproprietaryeponyms

• IVAN???S CHILDHOOD (ANDREI TARKOVSKY, 1962)

• Vintage is the true detective in this thread.

I rewatched the opening shot of episode 1 and it looks like one person carrying a bag. Earlier in the thread someone said two people. Anyone with a hi def tv able to tell what is going on in the long shot of the field burning? Has someone on the internet CSI'ed that shit with some freeze frame lighting adjustment clarification business?

• Controller_7 said:
    Vintage is the true detective in this thread.

I rewatched the opening shot of episode 1 and it looks like one person carrying a bag. Earlier in the thread someone said two people. Anyone with a hi def tv able to tell what is going on in the long shot of the field burning? Has someone on the internet CSI'ed that shit with some freeze frame lighting adjustment clarification business?

considering it's highlighted a multitude of times in the opening intro as well as throughout the various episodes, there will be a showdown at the refinery of bliblical *cough* proportions.

PARTY AT THE MOON TOWER

btw

• what plot points haven't been introduced yet in this sequence? oil refinery? jellyfish?

HBO's True Detective - Main Title Sequence from Patrick Clair on Vimeo.

vintageinfants said:

I love this shot.

Also - sheriff and his antler collection in on it, too?

• bassie said:
    vintageinfants said:

I love this shot.

sam edelman's. not loubs. faux fancy implications.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    There are so many clues, leads, red herrings, rabbit holes and smokescreens that I'm going to be disappointed if the master killer turns out to be Cohle or even the (Prime) Minister (Sinister). So I'm going to throw this out and say the Yellow King is the one and only Lawnmower Man, who we briefly meet when the detectives check out the Tuttle school for the first time.

This is a pretty good list of suspects.

http://www.vulture.com/2014/02/true-detective-who-is-the-yellow-king.html

• Lawn mower man is plausible. He said he works at various Tuttle sites. Maybe were being led to believe it's the Tuttle ministries, but it's really the lawnmower man.

• I like the lawnmower man for this.

• Although this is somewhat compelling:

"2. Martin Hart
    Tow-headed (the blonde/yellow king), alcoholic, and with a daughter who shows signs (see: drawings, dolls) of being introduced to sexual content at an early age, Hart blows Reggie Ledoux away rather than run the risk of his true identity becoming known. His mention in episode five of having gone hunting once is interesting specifically for his mention of having bagged a ten-point buck, the same number of points that matches Dora Lange's crown. (And, as mentioned above, he drew Cohle away from the Tuttle school that first time.)"

Not a bad explanation for why he offs LeDoux. But it raises the Q in my mind: had LeDoux seen him? That day on the property that is? If so, LeDoux likely would have said something. But I recall Hart shooting LeDoux from behind upon emerging from the house, and he was on the other side of the building when Rust first cuffed him and led him out, right?

• Marty was the one who pointed the gun and cuffed him though.

Ledoux was sort of like "fuck you" until he saw Rust pointing a second fun at him from outside. Then he put his hands up. Was that a "fuck, I'm cornered?" Or a "fuck, it's that dude Crash!"