True Detective

rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
edited January 2014 in Strut Central
matthew mcconaughey killed.

great chemistry between him and woody.

HBO continues to make the rest of TV look silly.

looking forward to seeing how this thing develops.

Comments

• Ive been super hyped for this show but will have to catch the replay on tuesday.

• Woody playing the more sober, rational cop is a fun twist.

• Really enjoyed it and looked forward to more. I dig the two time periods concept and am curious to see how they get from point a to point b. my one beef, and it's minor, was that Woody's house had ikea items in it. Modern ikea. I just looked and there's no ikea in Louisiana and I'm sure there wasn't one in 1995. Isn't that what set designers get paid for? To know things like that.

Great vibe on the show. Both are great. I also like the idea of ongoing shows that are different each season, like American horror story. It'll be interesting to see who signs up for the next go around, if there is one.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Maybe Det. Hart's wife brought her ass out to Houston or something for the Ikea? It is interesting to note considering how much they seemed to get right in each year of the settings. I've read in a few places how the Louisiana setting is as important as Seattle was to "The Killing" and I hope HBO can maintain the quality standard here because it's a very promising pilot for fans of procedurals.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    The AMC production of "The Killing" was supposed to be set in Seattle, but filmed in Vancouver B.C. If the Seattle setting was that important to the show, it should have been FILMED IN SEATTLE. I liked the original Danish production of "The Killing" a lot better.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Lester Freamon!

b/w

Nice Wire nod ten minutes in:

Brother Mouzone!!!

Didn't even recognize him 'til the final scene.

• based on everything i've heard about true detective, it sounds eerily similar to the premise of BBC's "red riding hood trilogy".....

can anyone speak to this comparison?

Big_Chan said:
    The AMC production of "The Killing" was supposed to be set in Seattle, but filmed in Vancouver B.C. If the Seattle setting was that important to the show, it should have been FILMED IN SEATTLE. I liked the original Danish production of "The Killing" a lot better.

Far be it from me to defend "The Killing," which I toughed out through the end of the first season before ditching, but they did seem to craft an eerie atmosphere that if not unique to Seattle did capture the vibe of the rainy Pacific Northwest pretty well. The look to the show was about the only thing it had going for it, and I'm surprised Netflix is giving the show a shot for a fourth season. Also, I guess the writer cum showrunner for "True Detective" got his first TV job as a writer for "The Killing," a factoid which gave me pasue.

vintageinfants said:
    based on everything i've heard about true detective, it sounds eerily similar to the premise of BBC's "red riding hood trilogy".....

I can say that I fell asleep during both, which isn't a knock at all - I pass out during some of my favorite TV shows and movies all the time!

• Options
    Herm said:
    Lester Freamon!

b/w

Nice Wire nod ten minutes in:

Before opening the thread I took a guess that someone would make a comment about The Wire. Almost got to the end.

• just glad to see Muzone in a role other than the cornfest that was Muzone.

Sween said:

Before opening the thread I took a guess that someone would make a comment about The Wire. Almost got to the end.

You got W.R.E.A.M.ed.

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    based on everything i've heard about true detective, it sounds eerily similar to the premise of BBC's "red riding hood trilogy".....

Very interesting....when I saw the wings/sticks on dead chick's back in the trailer (have not seen the show) I did get some RRHT vibes. That show was amazing however very very disturbing. I need to not watch shit like that....but will inevitably watch TD.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    we just watched ep 1 and will be following on. great acting.

vintageinfants said:

similar vibe, but doesn't seem as "hard".

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Am I to gather from this that the Red Riding trilogy was broadcast by BBC America stateside, then? It was an indie production that got its first run on Channel 4 in the UK.

It was one huge missed opportunity as far as I was concerned. The books (four, as opposed to the three films) are incredible, and while I'd concede that my view of the adaptation may have been tainted by reading them first, it all still looked as if it was made with one eye on international sales and the other on technical and craft awards.

DocMcCoy said:
    Am I to gather from this that the Red Riding trilogy was broadcast by BBC America stateside, then? It was an indie production that got its first run on Channel 4 in the UK.

It was one huge missed opportunity as far as I was concerned. The books (four, as opposed to the three films) are incredible, and while I'd concede that my view of the adaptation may have been tainted by reading them first, it all still looked as if it was made with one eye on international sales and the other on technical and craft awards.

Couldn't tell you as I don't own a TV - I just read about how good it was in the UK press and sought it out on the high seas.

Not having read the books, I can't comment on that aspect, but what I really liked about it was the storytelling and the acting.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    I found it tough to concentrate on this show after the scene with Alexandra Daddario.

• That was indeed an eye opener.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    ketan said:
    DocMcCoy said:

Couldn't tell you as I don't own a TV - I just read about how good it was in the UK press and sought it out on the high seas.

Not having read the books, I can't comment on that aspect, but what I really liked about it was the storytelling and the acting.

Yeah, there were some great performances throughout, especially from Paddy Considine in the second film, and it wasn't bad by any means. There were just too many short-cuts for my liking. Often, the plot wasn't so much compressed as pounded flat, and it seemed as hidebound by a lack of nerve just as much as any budget constraints in the way so much of the narrative was underdeveloped, skimmed over or bypassed. On the screen, you see a bunch of people who are, at best, comprehensively bent, and who are certainly involved in some pretty nasty business. In the books, you read about the same characters and (many of) the same events, and you think, "These people are fucking monsters." The dramatisation didn't come anywhere near conveying that for me.

DocMcCoy said:
    ketan said:
    DocMcCoy said:

Yeah, there were some great performances throughout, especially from Paddy Considine in the second film, and it wasn't bad by any means. There were just too many short-cuts for my liking. Often, the plot wasn't so much compressed as pounded flat, and it seemed as hidebound by a lack of nerve just as much as any budget constraints in the way so much of the narrative was underdeveloped, skimmed over or bypassed. On the screen, you see a bunch of people who are, at best, comprehensively bent, and who are certainly involved in some pretty nasty business. In the books, you read about the same characters and (many of) the same events, and you think, "These people are fucking monsters." The dramatisation didn't come anywhere near conveying that for me.

Yeah, I do recall there being a lot of characters who were largely peripheral. I think the net effect for me was that there was a lot of suspense (rather than just confusion) about who was relevant to what part of the story... but I can see how it could be a gross simplification of a rich narrative if you've read the books!

We had a thread on here a while back, but those who like True Detective and Red Riding should also check Top of the Lake!

• Top of the Lake is not touching True Detective.

rootlesscosmo said:
    Top of the Lake is not touching True Detective.

Really?! I've only seen one ep of TD, but I was thinking it was other way around...

What did you not like about TOTL?

• I liked top of the lake. Anyone notice how it had those totally weird commercial cuts, just like Mad Men. Like they cut at random at jarring moments. Mad men's commercial cuts make no sense.

DOR said:
    I found it tough to concentrate on this show after the scene with Alexandra Daddario.

Sticking to the Strut script, I can't say I was crazy with how she had decorated her place - and, indeed, it's difficult to meet a good man when your apartment is decorated as such.

• white_tea said:
    DOR said:

Sticking to the Strut script, I can't say I was crazy with how she had decorated her place - and, indeed, it's difficult to meet a good man when your apartment is decorated as such.

Ha! I didn't really notice the decore, but I did think "that's not a good shelf to handcuff someone to. If he moves it's going to fall right out of the wall."

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    white_tea said:
    DOR said:

Ha! I didn't really notice the decore, but I did think "that's not a good shelf to handcuff someone to. If he moves it's going to fall right out of the wall."

Haha. I thought the same thing. First thinking she's not going to be able to do the ol, take woody's clothes and leave him hanging gag.

• yeah I can't really recall anything after the Alexandra Daddario scene. was there more?

• kidding. actually Matty Mac had one of his best lines so far after that scene:

???If you???ve got some self-loathing to do this morning, that???s fine, but it ain???t worth losing your hands over.???

hardasfuck

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    hooooooooooooooooooooold up

i really wanted to enjoy this show but ive been cringing along here. watching this is like wading through a minefield of stereotypical corn

tell me - the whole two tough cops in a morally ambiguous wasteland -- theres no black and white - just. shades. of. grey.... schtick isnt really something we need to sit through again - is it ?

then theres the whole the south is a durty trailerpark with little meth head pre teen whores all over it patrolled by leering corrupt cops and wacked out priests steez - is that really as played out a cliche as it strikes me as being ? isnt that just really tired and offensive by now?

then there's the annoying resemblance to the antler killings in hannibal - too much of a similarity to let slide imo - with some blair witchy craft shit thrown in for good measure

then there's mccoanahyey in those interrogation scenes with the two black dts, he's drawling, sucking on cigarettes, glazing over - overacting and tapping way too hard into some potpourri of corn i can hardly bear it

oh but wait - mconahugh is really tapping into some deep shit here - play the dead daughter card. glaze over. say something dark and existential. repeat. really? yes really, flash forward 17 years and hes still doing it. is this supposed to give depth to the cookie cutter character - the haunted profiler - nah man. pass

there were some lines and scenes that were copypasted too. like woody turning away from the murder scene and telling his partner - btw my wife wants you to come over for dinner - isnt that a scene straight out of colors?

i havent entirely given up yet - photography is amazing and its still a fairly entertaining duo to watch but goddamn theyre treading on worn out ground here.

oh i have a sneaking suspicion the big twist will be MM will turn out to have been the killer himself all along. amiwrong?

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts

hannibal - april 2013

true detective - january 2014