Lilyhammer [TV-R] : Who Is Being Rideful?

JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
edited January 2014 in Strut Central

Was put onto this over Christmas. Good stuff! Took a second to realise it was E-Street Band's Little Steven...

Currently working through the torrents... With Norwegian dubbing. But it's all OK for a Euromang, right?

Comments

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    you don't have teh Netflix?

I've watched a few episodes, but haven't really gotten into it tbh.

• I've done a few episodes. Pretty stupid but I do slightly enjoy it. A few things: 1) he understands Norwegian yet cannot speak it, I know this shouldn't jar but it does a bit 2) violence wins out every time, with little to no irony 3) love the scenery and general premise 4) maybe Stevie couldn't let go of Syl, and why the hell not. Must be fun to still inhabit the character without any pressure, by which I mean subtlety

• I watched 2 seasons of this while on break over the holidays. Netflix.. what can I say i got into it and binged.. I wouldn't say it's a great show but very watchable. The Norwegian setting is my favorite aspect. The lead actors mobster character gets tiring, it's been done a lot and he's not changing it up.

I like his right hand man though and Jan sometimes. The second season felt more polished.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    granjero said:
    I've done a few episodes. Pretty stupid but I do slightly enjoy it. A few things: 1) he understands Norwegian yet cannot speak it, I know this shouldn't jar but it does a bit 2) violence wins out every time, with little to no irony 3) love the scenery and general premise 4) maybe Stevie couldn't let go of Syl, and why the hell not. Must be fun to still inhabit the character without any pressure, by which I mean subtlety

Yes to all of these. The violence bit is pretty depressing, but then after reading about HSBC's speeding fine, I kind of despair about human nature now.

Yet still looking forward to it.

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    My friend showed me this the other day. It was cool seeing Silvio again but I couldn't really get down. Mainly because the version we were watching had no subtitles for the Norwegian parts. He was all, it's fine you can work out what's happening from their facial expressions and context but I wasn't buying it. Who does that?

Isn't Lilyhammer supposed to be learning the language on a tape and that's how he understands them all. Seems legit... Awesome idea though - if I run out of stuff to watch I might give it another go.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    toby.d said:
    He was all, it's fine you can work out what's happening from their facial expressions and context but I wasn't buying it. Who does that?

Uh... me?

Especially abroad The facial expression for "Put your cock away, buddy - it's a f*cking funeral" is universal.

Isn't Lilyhammer supposed to be learning the language on a tape and that's how he understands them all.

Uh... the town is called Lilyhammer. His character is actually called Giovanni Henriksen. But I guess you mean it in the same way Jay Kay gets called Jamiroquai, which is totally legit in my book.

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    Disconnected! That goes to show how informed my opinion of this show is! I did know that, I swear.

It was actually pretty funny trying to work out what they were saying and it's interesting to see which English words the Norwegians don't have a translation for. It was just tripping me out sitting there watching something I had to try so hard to understand. Not the first time though; I was faded, watching a Spanish film with an old girlfriend who spoke it. After half an hour she realises there's no subtitles and asks why I didn't say anything. I hadn't even realised, I felt like I really knew the characters, picking up on the subtle vibes and errthing.