Help me plan a trip to NYC in october

Salary_DizSalary_Diz 735 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
Me and HJ will be there for a week. This will be my first time ever to go, but I'm in charge of planning our activities for the week.So... Help a strutter out.list 20 must do things in NYC. Also, HJ has agreed to a soulstrut get together one night while were are there.

Comments

• 1-20. Spend your money with me.

No seriously enjoy the food, that should be #1. Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. Catch a Yankees game. Sunbathe in Central Park. I would definitely plan a beach trip because NYC beach culture is so different from California. Coney, Rockaway are good but you don't go in the water, for that try Jones.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    1) eat eat eat.........the triumphant 5 pizzerias (difara's, totonnos, patsys, grimaldis, lombardi's). Indian food up in jackson heights, korean town up in queens. Katz/2nd ave deli/barney greengrass/kossar's bialy and get w/ your inner jewbaccca. Shakeshack @ madison sq park, Fronch bistro fare at les halles!!! + a million other suggestions, except stay away from the fusion foo fooness.

2) pre drink for free at various art gallery, magazine launch parties during the middle of the week. The parties suck ass 99% of the time so just drink and get out to somewhere else.

3) moma fridays after 4pm = free (normal admission is $20)

4) parties......the rub, brazilian beat, spinna themed parties, yaddy yaddy yah, www.knowtheledge.net

5) shopping........go buy your alife/levi's shrink to fits at the new alife shop for the cheap price of $500. http://superfuture.com/city/city/city.cfm?city=3

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    you dont want to plan dizzy, there's so much to do, it'll just come together when you're here.

museums, empire state building, flat iron, ground zero, riverside drive, innwood, flushing meadows (the old world's fair site), coney island, jones beach, statue of liberty, Brasserie for drinks (beautiful interior), battery park, prospect park, walk around park slope/carroll gardens, play hipster bingo in williamsburg, shop in soho for clothes, shop in east village for records...

see you soon

• Don't forget the sushe

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Walk thru 42nd st(see MTV building).
    Take pictures of Empire State and Chrysler buildings.
    Go to the Freedom tower site..........take mo' pictures.
    Take the A train uptown to the Apollo. Eat a Silvia's
    Go to Katz' deli and order "I'll have what she had."
    Webster Hall on Friday night.
    Check out NIKETOWN on 57thst.
    Lennon on Broadway.
    Make sure your sporting your TEVAs

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    what dates?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    not to steal your thunder, but i was thinking of going soon, too, but before the end of sept. if you're not going too too late in october, maybe i'll try for the same time for a proper SStrut blow-out?

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    16. get drunk on the staten island ferry while watching the sunset.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    The Rub Oct 1 with Ayres, Eleven & Catchdubs

The Rub Oct 29 Halloween Party with Ayres, Cosmo, Caps & Jones

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Go to the KILL WHITEY party.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    not to steal your thunder, but i was thinking of going soon, too, but before the end of sept. if you're not going too too late in october, maybe i'll try for the same time for a proper SStrut blow-out?

I'll actually be in NY the last week of September and perhaps some of early October as well. I've got some fam to visit and whatnot, but I fully plan on a seven-day food, drank, and record bender to close it out.

Always up for getting blacked out with strutters. holr.

• Go to the KILL WHITEY party.

HAHAHAHA OH SHIT.

We are gonna be there Tues the 11th through Saturday the 15th....

yay!

more ideas!

See, I'm not a planner, but HJ wants an agenda of what we will be doing, so I need to come up with something....

• wonkawonka 84 Posts
    Gotta check out this Cuban joint Cafe Habana in Soho on Prince and Elizabeth. The corn is

• Always up for getting blacked out with strutters. holr.

the Prof will see you now

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

Always up for getting blacked out with strutters. holr.

the Prof will see you now

Prof. Rockwells Frozen Strawberry Memory Loss Margaritas:

fill one blender with frozen strawberrys
    fill 1/2 - 2/3 with tequila of your choice
    fill rest with margarita mix
    couple squirts of lime juice
    blend to taste
    drink and forget

yes!

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts

Dude, how are you going to be in New York the one week this year I will be out of the country?

I will PM you my recommendations for Korean restaurants...If you come to Harlem, avoid Sylvia's like the plague.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Also, HJ has agreed to a soulstrut get together one night while were are there.

she is so going to regret that

how was the cocktail party?

• EAT TAMALES IN BUSHWICK BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE!!! I DID! NOW LOOK AT ME!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    One thing you should definitely do is go to East Village and do some cratediggin' in the numerous record shops over there...

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Dude, how are you going to be in New York the one week this year I will be out of the country?

I will PM you my recommendations for Korean restaurants...If you come to Harlem, avoid Sylvia's like the plague.

Errrm...yeah. The only thing I enjoyed about Sylvia's was the cornbread.

Oh - and the gap-toothed portrait that hangs on the wall.

• After hitting the East Village spots, get to 6th St. and choose one of the 20 Indian restaurants. Gimme a shout!

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    list 20 must do things in NYC.

1. Come to our apartment.
    2. Let us cook for you.
    3. GirlLove perfected the popovers recipe last weekend.
    4. And my coffee is stronger than Navy Seal Blood.
    5. We can talk.

6. - 20. can be dealt with, umm, on the low.
    (Page me)

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    After hitting the East Village spots, get to 6th St. and choose one of the 20 Indian restaurants. Gimme a shout!

taj mahal's been killing it, use to hit the raj mahal next door,
    sonolai (sp) is cool to, don't sleep on the second floor first ave action southwest side from 6th st
    mozarella's across from TSL has very good slices
    & (st marks btwn first ave & a) the "hummus place" is the bestest ever
    &
    good dumplings made fresh across the street
    3rd street action has mama's near good records
    & killer mexican on 1st southwest of 3rd st
    lower eastside record district has eatz !

it's been a while since i've been there, but is there a really good veg place just above E Houston? it's on a corner (of maybe A or B) and they serve the biggest and best serving of garlic collard greens I've ever had. they do beans and egg breakfasts, that kind of thing. a lot of bright windows, mismatched chairs, real cheap - is it still there?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

5. We can talk.

(page him)

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

5. We can talk.

(page him)

Paralegal Lackey: "Mr. Regatta..."
    Faux_Rills: "WHAT IS IT?"
    Paralegal Lackey: "Telephone call, sir."
    Faux_Rills: "Well, who is it? Christ, how many times have I told you, bring me solutions, not problems."
    Paralegal Lackey: "Gary Bull, sir, calling from San Diego, sir."
    Faux_Rills: "Who?"
    Paralegal Lackey: "He says you know him as, Dizzy, from the internet, sir."
    Faux_Rills: "Oh, take a message. I'm sunning."

• it's been a while since i've been there, but is there a really good veg place just above E Houston? it's on a corner (of maybe A or B) and they serve the biggest and best serving of garlic collard greens I've ever had. they do beans and egg breakfasts, that kind of thing. a lot of bright windows, mismatched chairs, real cheap - is it still there?

Kates - yes it's still there. On the corner of 3rd or 4th and Ave B. Damn good fake steak too and tofu chili dogs. And they have good beer selections.

I saw Ricky Powell there once.

Kates - yes it's still there. On the corner of 3rd or 4th and Ave B. Damn good fake steak too and tofu chili dogs. And they have good beer selections.

cool, thanks a lot

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    1) Buy a slice or pie of "Grandma's" at Driggs Pizza, Wburg.

That's about all NYC is good for these days. Well that and records.

Peace, Spliff in Hipster Vegas.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    If you come to Harlem, avoid Sylvia's like the plague.

Double up on that unless you need to see some Dougie Fresh and Rakim gold recs, the food is fucking awful.