Worst Christmas Songs

DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
edited December 2013 in Strut Central
This makes me want to murder people. I bet this is what Chapman was really pissed about.

And as much as I love The Kinks, this is fucking awful. Do you Brits really say "Father Christmas" instead of Santa Claus? If so, I submit that that may be part of the reason you're viewed as an island full of Harry Potter extras. Just saying.

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Always liked both of those.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    I didn't see a 'Best Christmas Song' thread but just discovered this yesterday:

I freakin' love it!

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    This one has crept into the 24 Hour Xmas Station rotation the past few years.

It is the Lee Greenwood of Xmas Songs.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    I don't know about worst but this is a new fave

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    mrmatthew said:
    This one has crept into the 24 Hour Xmas Station rotation the past few years.

It is the Lee Greenwood of Xmas Songs.

Saw Patton Oswalt this year and he went off about this very song.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Im sick of hearing the Donny Hathaway joint.

• I can't hear "White Christmas" anymore without thinking about teabags.

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas
    Just like the ones I used to know
    Where the tree tops glisten
    And children listen
    To hear sleigh bells in the snow

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas
    With every Christmas card I write
    May your days be merry and bright
    And may all
    Your Christmases be white

• Cliff Richard - Mistletoe & Wine

• DB_Cooper said:
    Do you Brits really say "Father Christmas" instead of Santa Claus? If so, I submit that that may be part of the reason you're viewed as an island full of Harry Potter extras. Just saying.

Yes, unlike you guys we actually have some history to draw upon for our traditions.

thewaxbandit said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Do you Brits really say "Father Christmas" instead of Santa Claus? If so, I submit that that may be part of the reason you're viewed as an island full of Harry Potter extras. Just saying.

Yes, unlike you guys we actually have some history to draw upon for our traditions.

You realize Santa Claus derives from Sinterklaas, right? Which dates back to the third century A.D.? Still, I understand you mad over the Harry Potter line, doggie. Don't take it personal-I love teh Brits, as teh Brits on this board can attest. No need to get all Hermione up in this piece.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Risingson said:
    Cliff Richard - Mistletoe & Wine

Ugh. What a cunt.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    thewaxbandit said:
    DB_Cooper said:

You realize Santa Claus derives from Sinterklaas, right? Which dates back to the third century A.D.? Still, I understand you mad over the Harry Potter line, doggie. Don't take it personal-I love teh Brits, as teh Brits on this board can attest. No need to get all Hermione up in this piece.

Vyvyan had it right

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

• DB_Cooper said:

Yes I am aware of this, but you guys don't say 'Sinterklaas'. My point being that our saying of Father Christmas is as valid (if not more so) than your use of Santa Claus.

Forgive me for quoting wiki but:

"Pre-modern representations of the gift-giver from church history and folklore, notably St Nicholas and Sinterklaas, merged with the English character Father Christmas to create the character known to Americans and the rest of the English-speaking world as Santa Claus."

Onomastics aside, I was just pointing out your arrogance.

Merry Christmas

x

thewaxbandit said:
    Onomastics aside, I was just pointing out your arrogance.

Way to take the bait, Dobby!

• DB_Cooper said:

prick

thewaxbandit said:
    DB_Cooper said:

prick

Merry Christmas, Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington.

• DB_Cooper said:

back at ya Cletus

thewaxbandit said:
    DB_Cooper said:

back at ya Cletus

I don't think there was a Harry Potter character named Cletus. You going for a Simpsons thing there, Neville?

• DB_Cooper said:
    thewaxbandit said:
    DB_Cooper said:

back at ya Cletus

I don't think there was a Harry Potter character named Cletus. You going for a Simpsons thing there, Neville?

Neville is a genuinely funny name. But I don't know ANY Nevilles.

• DB_Cooper said:
    thewaxbandit said:
    DB_Cooper said:

back at ya Cletus

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    Santa Claus sounds more like a Harry Potter name than Father Crhsitmas does.

thewaxbandit said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    thewaxbandit said:
    DB_Cooper said:

back at ya Cletus

Yeah, Neville Longbottom is solid all the way around, namewise. Congrats on getting into the spirit of thing! After all, merciless trolling is the reason for the season. Here's a non-terrible Christmas song to get this back on track.

And from the same Soul Christmas album on Atco, here's the track that Original Flavor sampled for Waiting 4 My Break:

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    Late 2001, I had to take the bus during the morning rush because at the time I couldn't afford to drive to school nor work. I remember there was this possibly mentally unstable man who always stood up and sang, "Frosty...GABACHOOOOOOOOO *algo-pinche-algoalgo*", a la "Frosty The Snowman", at every stop. He toted a large backpack. Sometimes he yelled "BOOM!" then laughed. It freaked a lot of (white) people out with all the nine eleven and everything.

• RAER

vintageinfants said:

RAER

Man, Questlove has really hit the skids.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    This read like poetry to me.

Electrode said:

Late 2001
    By Electrode

Late 2001,
    I had to take the bus
    during the morning rush
    because at the time
    I couldn't afford to drive
    to school nor work

I remember
    there was this possibly mentally unstable man
    who always stood up and sang,
    "Frosty...GABACHOOOOOOOOO *algo-pinche-algoalgo*",
    a la "Frosty The Snowman",
    at every stop

He toted a large backpack
    Sometimes he yelled "BOOM!"
    then laughed

It freaked a lot of (white) people out
    with all the nine eleven and everything.