TRIBE Magazine (Detroit Jazz Related)

2»

Comments

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    they supposedly have one of the largest collections of countercultural materials in the nation... but you can't really browse the stacks can you?

---

thanks for sharing all that stuff, breakself.

Sure thing! I'm glad to see people appreciate this as much as I did when I first saw it. My goal is to eventually have all the issues scanned and hosted, so this stuff is available to everyone.

• they supposedly have one of the largest collections of countercultural materials in the nation... but you can't really browse the stacks can you?

---

thanks for sharing all that stuff, breakself.

Sure thing! I'm glad to see people appreciate this as much as I did when I first saw it. My goal is to eventually have all the issues scanned and hosted, so this stuff is available to everyone.

Yes please!

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    My goal is to eventually have all the issues scanned and hosted, so this stuff is available to everyone.

this is a truly noble endeavour - I commend you sir.

---

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    Wow... there's a reason to appreciate scUM after all.
    This shit inspires me, makes me want to make another cross-city trip looking for stuff again. I love Detroit.

BreakSelf... I need to holler at you Kiko, serrressly.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I think it should be reiterated that Breakself didn't "cop" this, he "discovered" it.

Great work. Are you doing some larger body of research on this stuff? I have some lines into the Archive Of Contemporary Music here in NYC, they would be very interested in this kind of thing.

JS

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
    the last time i was at dpl one of the librarians told me that someone was donating they whole set of tribe magazines to their library as well, but i haven't been their in a minute

I think it should be reiterated that Breakself didn't "cop" this, he "discovered" it.

Yes, thanks for clarifying that, I think there may have been some confusion earlier. I didn't mean for this thread to read like a 'weekend find', more like a weekday discovery.

Great work. Are you doing some larger body of research on this stuff? I have some lines into the Archive Of Contemporary Music here in NYC, they would be very interested in this kind of thing.

JS

Yes, my original research was rooted in the origins of the Strata Corporation, which later branched into the Strata Records we all know and love so dearly. I initially had the dual intentions of examining Strata Co. as a grass roots organization while simultaneously trying to clear up some of the mysteries of the Strata Discography (e.g. the Ron English and Kenny Cox LPs). I very literally stumbled over the Tribe stuff while researching Strata and now the two projects are in a sense competing with each other. Once I get some of the prevailing issues (legal and otherwise) sorted with regard to the Tribe periodical I'll have a better idea where I can go with it. As I said, I'd love for all the issues to be publically available, but I have a feeling it's going to involve a sizable amount of money and effort, both of which I'm more than happy to put in.

I'll keep everybody updated as the project moves forward.

This shit inspires me, makes me want to make another cross-city trip looking for stuff again. I love Detroit.

I'm considering moving out to Detroit at the end of the summer, but in the meantime I'll be here in Ann Arbor. If you're ever in the area, or even planning to be, holler at me.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

I'm considering moving out to Detroit at the end of the summer, but in the meantime I'll be here in Ann Arbor. If you're ever in the area, or even planning to be, holler at me.

hey, breakself, you probably already have 'em, but i can hook you up with #'s if you need em on most of the strata guys. i've chatted with a few on precisely the same question that started you with you research. if you can use the contact #'s for your noble quest, holler.