Gordy to Play James Brown? WTF Related

CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
This was a story in the NYT about making a biopic on James Brown. His pick to play the lead LeVar Burton. Who would yall pick to play James Brown?Get Up, I Feel Like a Biopic E-Mail ThisPrinter-Friendly By CRAIG MODDERNOPublished: August 28, 2005Last year, the life of Ray Charles got the high-profile Hollywood treatment, and the resulting film received six Academy Award nominations. Now another legend of soul and rhythm-and-blues is in the pipeline: Imagine Entertainment is developing a movie based on the life of James Brown (below in 1985). "I don't know why it's taken so long to make a movie of my life," Mr. Brown said recently, speaking with characteristic assurance. "It's not like doing a movie about Jimi Hendrix or Marvin Gaye, where I've been told the music rights are a problem, because I've got the rights to my music." Skip to next paragraph Enlarge This Image David Corio Forum: MoviesMr. Brown, 72, who said he would have "some kind of creative control," also said he hoped the film would show his more positive achievements, which he rattles off with practiced ease. "I only went to seventh grade, but I was asked by the president of the United States after the assassination of Martin Luther King to come speak to people in Washington, D.C.," he said. "I was able to stop riots in various cities by speaking to people locally. I used to shine shoes in front of radio station WRDW in Augusta, Ga., when I was a little boy and I later purchased the station. They took four fortunes from me. Hollywood needs to tell my story real, tell it calmly. I want it to send out the message to give the underdog some kind of chance." Much of the news about Mr. Brown over the years has been less uplifting, of course: he served a two-and-a-half-year prison sentence for assault and drugs and gun possession in 1989, for which he received a pardon from the state of South Carolina in 2003, and he pleaded no contest to a domestic violence charge by his fourth and current wife, the singer Tomi Rae Brown, in 2004. The brothers Jez and John Henry Butterworth are writing the untitled Brown film. In Mr. Brown's mind, the best of him on film can be seen in the 60's concert movie "The T.A.M.I. Show" ("You can see Mick Jagger studying all my moves onstage") and "The Blues Brothers," which featured him as a rousing reverend who demonstrates his signature dancing and singing skills in church. And who does he see as his own Jamie Foxx, who won an Oscar for his portrayal of Ray Charles? "I'd like LeVar Burton to play me when the movie's made," Mr. Brown said. "He was magnificent in 'Roots.' They'll probably have to have a couple of people play me depending on the years of my life they cover. The actors better know how to dance and sing, be humble and polite and of course have some appeal to the ladies."

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

I Always thought Phill Morris would be a good Marvin Gaye.
    Talk about a Story.............

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

D.L. Hughley

Here's a shitty modern actor who would kinda look the role.

They'd have to CG the dance the moves like with Jackie chan in the Tuxedo.

- spidey