The new Omar LP

amphibiousamphibious 147 Posts
edited June 2013 in Strut Central

Comments

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    yes! facemelt R&B.

Anyone who thinks Kanye's album took more than a few hours of work should listen this opus.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    oh shit!!!

This is some good shit.

I'm usually suspicious of artists revisiting their super classics years later. "Mary J. Blige - My Life '06"
    Dude kills There's Nothing Like This.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    I'm really liking just how damned busy that Simplify cut is.

Just saying, get every note and texture in there that you can. And then add some more.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    A few cuts in and I am really digging this. I have been a big fan for a while, glad to hear him sounding so good.

• Great album. So far the standout cut for me is "The Man"

Great stuff.

• OptimusLime said:
    Great album. So far the standout cut for me is "The Man"

Great stuff.

this record is chock full of "holy shit" moments.

outstanding.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Liking this more than I thought.... wonder if they'll ever let him put out a record that doesn't include There's Nothing like This?

Flomotion said:
    wonder if they'll ever let him put out a record that doesn't include There's Nothing like This?

Beside comps/best ofs, I can only recall two albums w/ that song. And this was a new version.

Could u provide what official albums have this?

• amphibiousamphibious 147 Posts
    yeah the first time I heard "the man" i fucking lost it

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    batmon said:
    Flomotion said:
    wonder if they'll ever let him put out a record that doesn't include There's Nothing like This?

Beside comps/best ofs, I can only recall two albums w/ that song. And this was a new version.

There's a live version on the "Sing" CD.

asstro said:
    batmon said:
    Flomotion said:

There's a live version on the "Sing" CD.

What label version is that? UK only?

My version doesnt have it.

Tru Thoughts 2011 Re-release

Every Ether version is see doesnt have it either

• Mek_JaggerMek_Jagger 322 Posts
    whole album sounds class. i see scratch professor is featured. that guy entered the dmcs in 1988 aged 13 and blew people away. he's omars younger brother

• coolchriscoolchris 301 Posts
    This is not a love song LP I had on mega repeat in the ride for years.

• coolchriscoolchris 301 Posts
    Every time I see him now though, I just say to myself - goddamn, ace those fucking ridiculous facial piercings. Your a grown ass man and your a RNB singer. Dude must of did a lot of ecstasy.

• granjerogranjero 147 Posts
    Beautiful rekkid.
    He's so genius - it's unmistakably him, even without the voice. He has his own thing going on, in songwriting and production, and it hasn't really changed since the early 90s. Nor should it. Some great chord changes and ultra-rich textures. Sounds effortless though I'm damn sure it isn't.
    I'm sure it's one that will grow on me on each listen.

(b/w: Heard 'Girls' "by J Rocc" off one of Madlib's Medicine shows the other day, which made me laff)

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    I love how much vibe from his early nineties Talkin' Loud recordings has survived until tody. I was a fan back then and listening to the new album is like a flashback with fresh elements added. "The Man" is THE track. Hope there will be 12" on wax with remixes and shit.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    This is the best LP to come out this year so far.

• Finally got it on vinyl yesterday. "There's nothing like this" is NOT on the vinyl.

SO "will Omar ever release an album without..."

Yup, this one. And it's fucking great. I'm saying best summer record out right now. Also there is a "the Man" 12", with 2 remixes on it.
    Sadly the remixes are a bit.... eeeh.

http://www.juno.co.uk/ppps/products/492668-01.htm

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    'Tis a good set indeed.

I remember "The Man" video being poasted last year in the New Music thread. Homemade video of Omar walking around the streets singing the tune.

Why does he not have a bigger international, airplay profile? Not enough "Like-Everything-Else-Sounding"?

Shame he got The Palladin on there for "Nothing Like This" and it added nothing.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    This is a great album.

2013 has been a banner year for music, straight up.

High Heels

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Played "The Man" daily when the single dropped. I got the album promo but haven't listened to it yet. This will be getting the whip treatment no doubt. I was floored at how good "The Man" was and looking fwd to checking this out.

DocMcCoy said:
    This is a great album.

2013 has been a banner year for music, straight up.

Definitely.

• amphibiousamphibious 147 Posts
    batmon said:
    High Heels

lack of afro remix is so dope!

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Anybody got a zip they can share? I'll be out of town when my vinyl comes through and I don't mess with Spotify or any of those services.