O'Jays "Super Bad" on Trip??

LamarTinsonLamarTinson 507 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
Anybody got any details on this lp? Like whats it go for, and what the hell was Trip records? I can't find any info on it anywhere except motown67s little review.Oh by the way you guy rock in here, I can't believe you guys find some of the shit you find... indeed.Anyway, thanks for any info. Peace out.

Comments

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Trip was a budget label (in the vein of Pickwick), somehow always dropping an album when a group has a hit or a string of hits. This was no exception.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Wasn't this rereleased on Trip's sister label, Up Front, as just The O'Jays?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Wasn't this rereleased on Trip's sister label, Up Front, as just The O'Jays?

Yes - we were talking about this record just the other day in another thread (the Family Reunion thread), and I was saying how I got all psyched when I found Super Bad in a record shop, until I flipped it over and saw it was the same LP as the UpFront one I already owned, mostly a collection of their Bell 45's...and as cool as the cover is, it wasn't worth it just for that.

Actually, a little web research just now showed me that the UpFront LP omits two tracks from Super Bad:

7. Your Turn This Time

10. Never Can Say Goodbye Produced H B Barnum, Bobby Massey

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    The original issue is on HB Barnums Little Star label based out of Los Angeles. It was the first release on the label and entirely produced by Barnum.

Original release year was 1969

Trip reissued it with same artwork as the Little Star release a few years later.

Justin Torres was selling his trip issue for $50 at the last Buena Park show

Mike Vague was selling his Little Star issue for $250

anything else?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    The original issue is on HB Barnums Little Star label based out of Los Angeles. It was the first release on the label and entirely produced by Barnum.

Original release year was 1969

Trip reissued it with same artwork as the Little Star release a few years later.

Justin Torres was selling his trip issue for $50 at the last Buena Park show

Mike Vague was selling his Little Star issue for $250

anything else?

I usually see it and sell it for way under $20.00. I saw a slew of them last weekend. I guess I should have picked them up. Great cover.

Dan

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Great cover.

So great that ten years ago, GRAND ROYAL listed it as one of the "most misleading album covers of all time" along with McDuff's SOPHISTICATED FUNK and Main Ingredient's AFRODISIAC.

I've passed it up for $6 with little regret.

• i got a funny story about this record. it was way back in 1990. i was hella broke. but always looking for wax. so i took the r.t.d. bus to la from lb to a longgone spot called mid city discount records. they always had goodies. i bought the ojays 'super bad' for a buck.
    on the bus on my way home there was a bum on the bus that was like "yo hommie i need that record" i said i just got it it aint for sale he was like "i only got 40 bucks please sell it to me" well like i said i was broke, sold it to a bum for 40 bucks and i've still never heard the record. peace, stein. .

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Great cover.

So great that ten years ago, GRAND ROYAL listed it as one of the "most misleading album covers of all time" along with McDuff's SOPHISTICATED FUNK and Main Ingredient's AFRODISIAC.

I've passed it up for $6 with little regret.

...but the Grand Royal writer was looking for straight-up funk. He expected that from the covers of albums by the O'Jays, Jack McDuff, etc., but didn't get it. He kinda implied that vocal groups weren't really his shot, and the best thing he could say about Super Bad was that it had a breakbeat (unless you're a hip-hop producer, who cares?). I don't own the elpee, but since I'm a fan of both smoove 70's singing groups and hard funk, I'm not taking Grand Royal to be the last word.