Its Bob Dylans Birthday Today, He is Old

SoundOutLoudSoundOutLoud 171 Posts
edited May 2013 in Strut Central
I thought someone should mention this here. I was thinking earlier this morning that millions of people have used the same chord progressions over and over, but only a few do it well. Bob Dylan is a perfect example of this. The alchemy of good songwriting incarnate.

Here is a touching video of Dylan at the Newport Folk Fest (1yr pre-electric heresy) with a nice little introduction by the still-kicking Pete Seeger. (via NUBLU records' Facebook page)

Please share your favorite tunes, stories, or profoundly disappointing post-1980 live concert experiences if you so wish.

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

My favorite Dylan song by far.

Saw him with the Band at the Largo Arena, early 70s.
    Good memories, glad to see a legend even in a giant sports arena.

• CastenedaCasteneda 100 Posts
    I was once a huge Dylan fan many, many years ago. Though I really haven't listened to a full album of his in years, this song gets me every time..

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    "profoundly disappointing post-1980 live concert experiences if you so wish."

Saw him last summer. His show was terrible.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Dude is a big baseball fan +1

He became the voice of a generation that he didn't particularly like or respect.

Blood On The Tracks is by far his best LP as it doesn't pander to a perceived marketing or political responsibility.

He should have stopped singing by 1976

Greatest songwriter of our time if you understand his lyrics were not what the general public perceived them to be in many cases.

A musical huckster +1

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
    Nashville Skyline, nice classic. Anybody know what's up with those 3-eye pressings on his earlier stuff on Columbia? Are they pretty rare? What's the story with them anyhow?

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Hard to find a link to him singing this tune...but this is a great cover

Thymebomb13 said:

You just like BOTT the most because it sounds the most like the Eagles out of all of his records.

No dude....I'm not an Eagles fan.

It's because it's the first LP that pseudo intellectual upper middle class Liberals who were educated way beyond their level of intelligence couldn't "interpret" his lyrics to support their misguided political views and causes.

b/w

"A Hard RaiN's Gonna Fall" is about the Cuban Missile Crisis Maaaan! Liberace & Bob laughing all the way to the bank.

Thymebomb13 said:
    Rockadelic said:
    It's because it's the first LP that pseudo intellectual upper middle class Liberals who were educated way beyond their level of intelligence couldn't "interpret" his lyrics to support their misguided political views and causes.

I'll never understand why you let this sort of nonsense interfere with listening to music.

BOTT is a good album, but it suffers from a level of LA session mellow that his actual best record, Highway 61 Revisited, does not.

It's like the Yankees....I'm sure most of the players themselves (sans A-Roid) are pretty good guys but I could never, ever root for them because their fans are such assholes.

I don't hear where the lyrics on Blood On The Tracks are any more difficult for "pseudo intellectual upper middle class Liberals who were educated way beyond their level of intelligence" to "interpret to support their misguided political views and causes", any more than the lyrics on any number of other Dylan albums.

Dylan's lyrics, starting with Another Side are opaque. Thus open to interpretation, especially interpretation by the a fore mentioned piumclwwewbtloi.
    Given that criteria I would think something like Nashville Skyline or New Morning or Self Portrait, where the lyrics are less opaque, would be your favorite.

Not that you can't choose what ever LP you want as your favorite, I just don't follow your reasoning on why that one fits your criteria.

For favorite lp I have to go with the obvious choice of BIABH and H61R.
    Personally I don't see much in the way of politics in any of his records from this period on, accept for Hurricane, a personal crusade he took on for opaque reasons.

LaserWolf said:
    I don't hear where the lyrics on Blood On The Tracks are any more difficult for "pseudo intellectual upper middle class Liberals who were educated way beyond their level of intelligence" to "interpret to support their misguided political views and causes", any more than the lyrics on any number of other Dylan albums.

Dylan's lyrics, starting with Another Side are opaque. Thus open to interpretation, especially interpretation by the a fore mentioned piumclwwewbtloi.
    Given that criteria I would think something like Nashville Skyline or New Morning or Self Portrait, where the lyrics are less opaque, would be your favorite.

Not that you can't choose what ever LP you want as your favorite, I just don't follow your reasoning on why that one fits your criteria.

For favorite lp I have to go with the obvious choice of BIABH and H61R.
    Personally I don't see much in the way of politics in any of his records from this period on, accept for Hurricane, a personal crusade he took on for opaque reasons.

Blood On The Tracks marked a rebirth for Dylan and brought him an entirely new fan base.

b/w

If only you were a Yankee fan my cipher would be complete.

Fair enough.

• Possum SlimPossum Slim 353 Posts
    SoundOutLoud said:
    I thought someone should mention this here. I was thinking earlier this morning that millions of people have used the same chord progressions over and over, but only a few do it well. Bob Dylan is a perfect example of this. The alchemy of good songwriting incarnate.

Here is a touching video of Dylan at the Newport Folk Fest (1yr pre-electric heresy) with a nice little introduction by the still-kicking Pete Seeger. (via NUBLU records' Facebook page)

Please share your favorite tunes, stories, or profoundly disappointing post-1980 live concert experiences if you so wish.

This performance was what got me into listening to Dylan. Have to agree that BOTT is my favourite along with Blonde on Blonde.

You are transparent.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,083 Posts
    Dad saw him at the Whiskey in '65, when he was going to UCLA. He sneaked in through the kitchen with a dorm mate when The Byrds were playing. Dylan was in the audience, was called onto the stage and did an impromptu set. I think I have listened to "Highway 61" at least fifty times throughout my life because of him.

mrmatthew said:
    Hard to find a link to him singing this tune...but this is a great cover

Great version.

Dylan covers tend to be better than the original.
    Staple Singers and Nina Simone covered a number of Dylan songs.
    I looked for the Staples version of John Brown on youtube, but no luck.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Only person I can excuse for vastly overrating Bob Dylan is Jimi Hendrix. As for the rest of you...

HarveyCanal said:
    Only person I can excuse for vastly overrating Bob Dylan is Jimi Hendrix. As for the rest of you...

"Blowin' In The Wind" was about Chemtrails.......dude was way ahead of his time.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    This thread needs some Centrum Silver.

HarveyCanal said:
    This thread needs some Centrum Silver.

No shit....this Dylan dude is old enough to be my Father.

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts
    Bob Dylan wrote propaganda songs