Aretha - One Step Ahead

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
Why can't I find this 45 anywhere?

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    it was only issued in Europe

it is available domestically on a greatest hits LP from the late 60's though

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    merci beaucoup.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Here's the Aretha Comp. that has the cut on it.

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/crates/list.php?category=F&page=7

thanks motown - i don't think i've ever seen that either. i just did a quick search and apparently it's also on another comp called 'take a look'.

well that doubles my chances anyway!

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    merci beaucoup.

who's prepping her HUGE mos def power blends mix?

i saw a copy the other day. i'll go tomorrow and see if it's still there. (i still owe you for the mixtape.)

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    merci beaucoup.

I would think quite a few people are...

MOS DEF MARRIED?

Now, I heard that the Mighty Mos Def got married in Toronto, Canada recently. Now, I don???t know if the winds of Canadian rumors are blowing too hard, but I thought Mos was already married with children? His personal life is shrouded in mystery, as far as I know. But, what I am hearing is that the conscious rapper married a babe named Allana. Now, from what I know, this woman is pretty popular in Canada and once dated rapper Saukrates. Best wishes to the couple, if this is true. Frankly, I have my doubts???but I will find out.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    thanks motown - i don't think i've ever seen that either. i just did a quick search and apparently it's also on another comp called 'take a look'.

well that doubles my chances anyway!

Bassie,

I don't think it's on "Take a Look." That comp that Joel pointed you too is the only place I've seen it besides the 45. It's not that hard to find - you just have to be patient with looking at different Aretha bins at record stores you go to.

• mallardmallard 452 Posts
    i have a copy im not particularly attached to

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    merci beaucoup.

I would think quite a few people are...

MOS DEF MARRIED?

Now, I heard that the Mighty Mos Def got married in Toronto, Canada recently. Now, I don???t know if the winds of Canadian rumors are blowing too hard, but I thought Mos was already married with children? His personal life is shrouded in mystery, as far as I know. But, what I am hearing is that the conscious rapper married a babe named Allana. Now, from what I know, this woman is pretty popular in Canada and once dated rapper Saukrates. Best wishes to the couple, if this is true. Frankly, I have my doubts???but I will find out.

missbassie and the mighty mos?

"shrouded in mystery"

kids?

i didn't even know he skated...

"one step ahead" seems like a weird wedding song, though, but whatever they choose i guess...

i hear o-dub was at the wedding:

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    I have it on a Columbia comp called "In the beginning the world of Aretha Franklin 1960-1967... this is probably just another release of the prior mentiond comp that motown reviewed... I stuffed it somewhere when I first found it and when I went back to the store it was gone... then I found another like the day after my second son was born...

wow...

Aretha (Columbia 1961), The Electrifying Aretha Franklin (Columbia 1962), The Tender, The Moving, The Swinging Aretha Franklin (Columbia 1962), Laughing On The Outside (Columbia 1963), Unforgettable (Columbia 1964), Songs Of Faith (Checker 1964), Runnin' Out Of Fools (Columbia 1964), Yeah!!! (Columbia 1965), Soul Sister (Columbia 1966), Take It Like You Give It (Columbia 1967), I Never Loved A Man The Way That I Love You (Atlantic 1967), Aretha Arrives (Atlantic 1967), Take A Look early recordings (Columbia 1967), Aretha: Lady Soul (Atlantic 1968), Aretha Now (Atlantic 1968), Aretha In Paris (Atlantic 1968), Aretha Franklin: Soul '69 (Atlantic 1969), Today I Sing The Blues (Columbia 1969), Soft And Beautiful (Columbia 1969), This Girl's In Love With You (Atlantic 1970), Spirit In The Dark (Atlantic 1970), Aretha Live At Fillmore West (Atlantic 1971), Young, Gifted And Black (Atlantic 1972), Amazing Grace (Atlantic 1972), Hey Now Hey (The Other Side Of The Sky) (Atlantic 1973), Let Me Into Your Life (Atlantic 1974), With Everything I Feel In Me (Atlantic 1974), You (Atlantic 1975), Sparkle film soundtrack (Atlantic 1976), Sweet Passion (Atlantic 1977), Almighty Fire (Atlantic 1978), La Diva (Atlantic 1979), Aretha (Arista 1980), Love All The Hurt Away (Arista 1981), Jump To It (Arista 1982), Get It Right (Arista 1983), Who's Zoomin' Who? (Arista 1985), Aretha (Arista 1986), One Lord, One Faith, One Baptism (Arista 1987), Through The Storm (Arista 1989), What You See Is What You Sweat (Arista 1991), A Rose Is Still A Rose (Arista 1998), with Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, Gloria Estefan, Shania Twain Divas Live (Epic 1998).

Compilations: Aretha Franklin's Greatest Hits Columbia recordings 1961-66 (Columbia 1967), Aretha's Gold (Atlantic 1969), Aretha's Greatest Hits (Atlantic 1971), In The Beginning / The World Of Aretha Franklin 1960-1967[/b] (Columbia 1972), The Great Aretha Franklin: The First 12 Sides (Columbia 1973), Ten Years Of Gold (Atlantic 1976), Legendary Queen Of Soul (Columbia 1983), Aretha's Jazz (Atlantic 1984), Aretha Sings The Blues (Columbia 1985), The Collection (Castle 1986), Never Grow Old (Chess 1987), 20 Greatest Hits (Warners 1987), Aretha Franklin's Greatest Hits 1960-1965 (Columbia 1987), Queen Of Soul: The Atlantic Recordings 4-CD box set (Rhino/Atlantic 1992), Aretha's Jazz (Atlantic 1993), Greatest Hits 1980-1994 (Arista 1994), Love Songs (Rhino/Atlantic 1997), This Is Jazz (Columbia Legacy 1998), Greatest Hits (Global/Warners 1998), Amazing Grace: The Complete Recordings (Rhino 1999), Aretha's Best (Rhino 2001), Respect: The Very Best Of Aretha Franklin (Warners 2002), The Queen in Waiting: The Columbia Years (Columbia 2002).

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Why can't I find this 45 anywhere?

Who knows what they have the reserve set at but here you go...

http://cgi.ebay.com/NORTHERN-SOUL-RARITY-ARETHA-FRANKLIN_W0QQitemZ4760944791QQcategoryZ306QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• "one step ahead" seems like a weird wedding song, though, but whatever they choose i guess...

i played it at THE_HOGGS THE_WEDDING.

thanks for all the info everyone.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Just a heads up on the Aretha Columbia years, the song "Soulville" is an absolute burner and much underappreciated.

• "one step ahead" seems like a weird wedding song, though, but whatever they choose i guess...

i played it at THE_HOGGS THE_WEDDING.

To which I replied:

• i'm positive it's on the "take a look at.." which is a UK comp. it's actually not that easy to find. i've seen it at record fairs going for 20e+..

i'm positive it's on the "take a look at.." which is a UK comp. it's actually not that easy to find. i've seen it at record fairs going for 20e+..

It is...from allmusic:

Take A Look
    Aretha Franklin

Tracks

Runnin' Out of Fools -Ahlert, Rogers
    Won't Be Long -McFarland
    Today I Sing the Blues -Hamner, Lewis
    Walk on By -Bacharach, David
    Soulville -Glover, Levy, Turner ...
    Without the One You Love -Franklin
    I Can't Wait Until I See My Baby's Face -Ragovoy, Taylor
    One Step Ahead -Singleton, Snyder
    Mockingbird -Foxx, Foxx
    If Ever I Would Leave You -Lerner, Loewe
    How Glad I Am
    Every Little Bit Hurts -Cobb, Seal
    My Guy -Robinson
    Try a Little Tenderness -Campbell, Connelly, Woods

1967 LP Columbia 9554

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    it was only issued in Europe

it is available domestically on a greatest hits LP from the late 60's though

the 45 is a US release....