RIP Roger Ebert

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited April 2013 in Strut Central
This bums me out for some reason. Read his late-life stuff religiously. Gene Siskel finally has someone good with whom to argue.

Comments

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    RIP.
    Beneath The Valley Of The Dolls is one of my all time favorites.
    Always enjoyed his work.

• aww fuck. RIP. his passion for movies was infectious.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    He was a national treasure, dammit. I have a ton of respect and admiration for him. So sad that he's gone.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Big Rest in Peace. The man showed such grace in his later years -- the last several of which he didn't even have a jaw. I remember as a early-20s dude sitting in the lobby at the Chicago Hilton and Roger walked right by me, a huge man. Years later, I once almost sat in his "seat" at the Lake Street screening room where all the critics watch screeners. Then, he was one of the few people to let out a big laugh during the part of Rules of Attraction where Eric Stolz (sp) is playing a college professor and walks by at a party with two young girls on his arms. Not the best story but I'm grateful to have seen him in the flesh once or twice. He had such an approachability to his work and never once was snobbish in a profession rife with it. I love you, Roger! I hope you're enjoying some Steak & Shake in the sky right now.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    RIP. "2 Thumbs Down"

Always one of my favs.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    DOR said:
    RIP. "2 Thumbs Down"

Always one of my favs.

oh man, thanks for this. not only was he an outstanding and thoughtful writer, he was also capable of being trill as fuck.

rest in peace to a legend.

• see you in tha balcony, big guys:

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Rip. enjoyed his work.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    edith head said:
    DOR said:
    RIP. "2 Thumbs Down"

Always one of my favs.

oh man, thanks for this. not only was he an outstanding and thoughtful writer, he was also capable of being trill as fuck.

rest in peace to a legend.

And nobody in the game had better burns than he did.

"As chance would have it, I have won the Pulitzer Prize, and so I am qualified. Speaking in my official capacity as a Pulitzer Prize winner, Mr. Schneider, your movie sucks."

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I remember watching Siskel and Ebert on PBS with my mom when I was growing up. He had a real love of the movies and great insight. I really learned a lot from seeing him on his TV show and reading his reviews. He will be missed.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Solid work from the Onion.

RIP.

I've read his stuff over the years, but haven't really dug in. Knowledge me on the reals, peoples.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    RIPower

One hilarious example of his wit, in his criticism of the movie The Village:

"To call it an anticlimax would be an insult not only to climaxes but to prefixes. It's a crummy secret, about one step up the ladder of narrative originality from It Was All a Dream. It's so witless, in fact, that when we do discover the secret, we want to rewind the film so we don't know the secret anymore. And then keep on rewinding, and rewinding, until we're back at the beginning, and can get up from our seats and walk backward out of the theater and go down the up escalator and watch the money spring from the cash register into our pockets."

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    MusicaDelAlma said:
    RIPower

One hilarious example of his wit, in his criticism of the movie The Village:

"To call it an anticlimax would be an insult not only to climaxes but to prefixes. It's a crummy secret, about one step up the ladder of narrative originality from It Was All a Dream. It's so witless, in fact, that when we do discover the secret, we want to rewind the film so we don't know the secret anymore. And then keep on rewinding, and rewinding, until we're back at the beginning, and can get up from our seats and walk backward out of the theater and go down the up escalator and watch the money spring from the cash register into our pockets."

That's awesome and so appropriate for that movie.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091118/REVIEWS/911199998

"The characters in this movie should be arrested for loitering with intent to moan."

"Edward and the other members of the Cullen vampire clan stand around a lot with glowering skulks. Long pauses interrupt longer ones. Listen up, lads! You may be immortal, but we've got a train to catch."

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    RIP

What can I say...always looked forward to At The Movies. Ticked when they finally pulled it, but losing Gene was bad enough... no Roger took the steam out of the show. Still checked his page every week for reviews. The guy made me think and saved me a lot of money at the box office on movies I thought looked good but turned out to "renters".

• LewisLewis Connecticut 101 Posts
    check out his awesome interview with Jodorowsky!