Chili Strut

ppadilhappadilha 2,235 Posts
edited March 2013 in Strut Central
surprised that with all the culinary threads I couldn't find one on chili, the dish.

winter is creeping in down here, and I like to make me some chili for the mildly cold season that is about to begin. Is that wrong already? Seems like chili is a summer food to a lot of people. I just go off some basic recipe I found some time ago:

3 types of bean - white, black, red (none of that canned shit, especially since canned beans don't exist in Brazil)
2 pounds-ish of meat
garlic
onion
crushed peeled tomatoes
tomato paste
beef stock
salt
oregano
cumin
chili powder
cayenne (not much though, wife doesn't respond well to pepper)
????

+ cornbread

do people have a preference for cut of meat, or cubed vs minced? I usually go with generic ground beef. Any other other spices worth adding, maybe bay leaf? How does the strut make its chili? Are there any secrets to it?

Comments

• i think in chilli cookoffs the cubed steak is considered the real deal but i prefer ground beef and ground pork. it''s sort of a trendy thing these days, but i have really been into adding chipotle peppers from the can (in that ill sauce-- is it called adobo?)

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I feel like there was a chili thread, but maybe I'm just inventing that based on the sheer number of chili-cooking threads I've read.

The arguments we're about to have:

beans vs. no beans
    ground vs. cubed meat
    any meat except beef acceptable?
    more than one meat acceptable?
    what form the tomatoes should take

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Ill find it.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    edit

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,888 Posts
    My brother cooks a mean one with melted chocolate in it as a secwet ingwedient. On paper it would get the finger-crucifix but it doesn't come across sweet - it makes it taste richer.