Boogie Mixx 5

MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
edited February 2013 in Strut Central

After nearly 2 years and just shy of the 10-day anniversary of Valentine's Day 2013, the latest mix in the Boogie Mixx series is here.

DOWNLOAD (77.5MB)

or through Soundcloud:

It's been 2 years in the works so I prepared a little bio/press release thing, to explain the series, myself and why it took so long. If there are any people affiliated with music blogs, I would much appreciate you posting about it. You can use the the SoundCloud link, or the direct link to my webpage's server.

Big thanks to A Downtown Affair hosts Mike & Tackleberry who premiered it on their show and to Soulstrut, which is the reason why I made the first mix. The contributions of people here have changed my life, literally. Much love and please enjoy.
BOOGIE MIXX 5

It was finding a compilation of 12-inch mixes of D-Train songs in 2006 that put DJ and record collector Arni Kristjansson on the path to boogie. Gradually, over the next 7 years he would drop collecting everything else to focus exclusively on boogie, funk and disco from the late 70s to the mid 80s.

A DJ since age 13, now 31, he started buying up what he could find in his hometown of Reykjavik, Iceland. When the flea markets and thrift shops dried up, he moved to the internet and ordered from online stores and eBay. In April 2008, he moved to Tokyo to get a Masters degree in Cultural Studies at the Tokyo University of the Arts, focusing on club music. Since then, he has consistently scoured the shops of Tokyo in the hunt for new finds, as well as set up his own club night "Boogie in Motion" with DJ KENT (Force of Nature, The Backwoods) and Shacho (Soil & "PIMP" Sessions), which is based at legendary club The Room in the Shibuya district.

The first installment in the series of mixes named Boogie Mixx appeared in February 2008 and wasn't meant to be the start of a series but more a celebration of the music he'd been enamored with.

"The first one I made to celebrate 1000 posts on the record collecting forum at Soulstrut.com. I decided to go through everything I'd gotten and just put the killers in there, since I had a lot of fellow record collectors to impress." says Arni. "After that, when I decided to continue making mixes as the collection grew larger, I found myself getting pickier and pickier with what I put into the mixes and in what order. The first song had to be the one that had the biggest impact on me, there had to be a narrative and I couldn't stick to only one genre or one bpm were among a few of the rules I set myself."

Arni usually puts the mixes out for free download through his homepage every 9-12 months but this time around with Boogie Mixx 5, it's been close to two years since the previous one. "I put together many variations of the track list, one with a lot of soulful late 70s disco tracks, one heavy on dubby instrumentals and I explored the late 80s as well. The more I bought though, I started finding links between the tracks and I ended up going with a variety of styles." Arni explains.

The mix, which was premiered on WNYU's radio show "A Downtown Affair" on Feb 22, is available now at arnikristjansson.com, Arni's Soundcloud page soundcloud.com/arnikristjansson, or through soulstrut.com.

Profile pics: Pic 1, Pic 2

Comments

• WNYU website says Mike McGill & Tackleberry host A Downtown Affair, did they change their name to A Midnight Affair?

I will call strut's, randomaccessmic, to see how he is doing because I haven't talked to him since before the election / hurricane Sandy.

c;

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    It's A Downtown Affair, thanks for the correction. For some reason I changed Downtown to Midnight. Fixed now.

A Downtown Affair on now! Tune in here.

It's up! BUMP!

The show (A Midnight Affair) that premiered the Boogie Mixx 5 is now up their website Let's Get Serious. Shout out to Mike and Tackleberry!

Let's Get Serious - ADA w/ Arni Kristjansson

Quick reminder if you want to catch up and hear the rest of the mixes in the series at my homepage arnikristjansson.com.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    This made for a very enjoyable morning commute soundtrack the other day. A really solid and well put together selection, and it's good to hear something like this where the DJ isn't afraid to toss in a few actual hits amongst the more underground, less familiar choices.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Nice mix. Been playing it a lot.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    Mondeyano said:
    The show (A Midnight Affair) that premiered the Boogie Mixx 5 is now up their website Let's Get Serious. Shout out to Mike and Tackleberry!

Let's Get Serious - ADA w/ Arni Kristjansson

Quick reminder if you want to catch up and hear the rest of the mixes in the series at my homepage arnikristjansson.com.

Hey, Listening to the mixx now. Great stuff.

I'm working on a mix at the moment which I think the guys at Lets Get Serious will be interested in. Did you contact them or did they contact you? Are they open to submissions from random people like myself?

Cheers

Thanks for the comments!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    here is a write up for the mix is did
    http://www.musicismysanctuary.com/arni-kristjansson-boogie-mixx-5/

As I mention this one is my favorite after the OG and i love the way the selection gets stronger and stronger throughout
    As Doc mentionned you really mix obscure gems with common hits and i think your cover game is top notch
    When i first heard the first mix i was subjugated..i think mypursuit for great boogie started then and it kept me company and kept the inner sunshining during lonely rain soaked travels.

Arni is working on a japanese boogie mix soon (the track he showed me is bonkers) and also on his PhD on japanese club music in Tokyo (like a boss!)

so big ups for this great mix and keep it up!