Who invented Trap music?

SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
edited January 2013 in Strut Central
Didn't they realize Trap rhymes with Crap?

Did they name it trap, because when you're at a bar that you like and this type of music starts playing your tortured into staying?

Didn't they use Trap music to torture the prisoners in Guantanamo Bay.

- Diego

Comments

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    this, brostep & electro house unsettles me completly. Maybe I'm getting too old for this shit.
    I wonder if my parents felt the same when they heard rap or house for the first time.

• ETM, bro.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    if you don't like it, don't listen to it.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Delay said:
    if you don't like it, don't listen to it.
    but what will we complain about on soulstrut then

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    What's not to like about the track you posted?

It's like the culmination of old school 808 hip-hop, Miami bass, dancehall reggae, NOLA bounce, and DJ Screw all rolled into one. Me likes.

As far as who invented trap music...

My favorite...

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Hitler invent trap music, EDM and probably raving.

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    Why is the sky blue? Why is water wet? Why did Judas rat to Romans while Jesus slept?

• TRIPLE SIX

• Excuse my ignorance but what is the difference between Trap & other "older" Southern Hip Hop (a la Manny Fresh, 3-6, etc)?

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts

Tommy Wright III was hord den a mug.

jmjmjmjm said:
    Excuse my ignorance but what is the difference between Trap & other "older" Southern Hip Hop (a la Manny Fresh, 3-6, etc)?

No black people.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    D.E.L.E.T.E.

DocMcCoy said:
    jmjmjmjm said:
    Excuse my ignorance but what is the difference between Trap & other "older" Southern Hip Hop (a la Manny Fresh, 3-6, etc)?

No black people.

Come again.

HarveyCanal said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    jmjmjmjm said:

No black people.

Come again.

This is what I said the last time we had a "trap" thread;

"On one hand, it's always good to see young people enjoying themselves, and I'm all for anything that reminds people of hip-hop's origins as party music.

On the other, the only real issue I have is the same one I had with "trip-hop" - above and beyond the usual dilettantes and cultural tourists that always tend to congregate around this sort of thing, there's a certain section of the audience that feels much more comfortable with it when the more idiomatically "black" elements (i.e., the rappers) are either de-emphasised or shunted out of the picture altogether. "

Hence my remark about the difference here being "no black people". HTH.

Maybe some dork hipsters have latched onto it for suspect reasons, but go to any black "urban" club in the South and all you are going to hear just about is trap-styled music. Oh yeah, and none of those hipsters will be anywhere in sight.

HarveyCanal said:
    Maybe some dork hipsters have latched onto it for suspect reasons, but go to any black "urban" club in the South and all you are going to hear just about is trap-styled music. Oh yeah, and none of those hipsters will be anywhere in sight.

I wouldn't dispute that for a moment. Unfortunately, that in itself probably isn't enough to prevent the term "trap music" being misappropriated by those selfsame dork hipsters and turned into the latest nine-day-wonder EDM microgenre, to be lauded and then tossed away by people who wouldn't know the difference between Slim Dunkin, Tim Duncan and Sandy Duncan.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    jmjmjmjm said:

No black people.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:

LOL, I was only riffing on the who invented funk thread.

Come on fellas,

- Diego

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts