New Hip Hop that sounds like golden era hip hop >

downtownrobbrowndowntownrobbrown 446 Posts
edited January 2013 in Strut Central
Ok so I checked out a lot of best of selections from the Strut and I'm pretty late with a lot of that hip hop. That's mostly why I'm here...to learn. Anyway this Joey Bada$$ to me sounds like it came out with Illmatic. Am I an idiot or do you agree? What are some other tracks/artists I should check out that sound similar?

Comments

• " Khadija Ahmed 1 hour ago

play in 240p for more old school hip??? hop look "

• the beat was produced back in '98...

Amazing album,

Hopefully Mr Parker is about to get paid!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

I personally think there's something pretty pointless about these attempts to build a movement around 90s throwbacks. It reminds me of that crack the much-missed faux_rillz made about how Jurassic 5 were the Sha Na Na of hip-hop. Seems like there's more and more people wanting to take that ball and run with it. For me, when it's done well, it doesn't matter if whether people want to call it nu-skool-old-skool or any other kind of appellation - it's just good hip-hop, as far as I'm concerned. But this Joey Bada$$ tune with Premier is as boring a record as I've heard in the last year or so.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:

I personally think there's something pretty pointless about these attempts to build a movement around 90s throwbacks. It reminds me of that crack the much-missed faux_rillz made about how Jurassic 5 were the Sha Na Na of hip-hop. Seems like there's more and more people wanting to take that ball and run with it. For me, when it's done well, it doesn't matter if whether people want to call it nu-skool-old-skool or any other kind of appellation - it's just good hip-hop, as far as I'm concerned. But this Joey Bada$$ tune with Premier is as boring a record as I've heard in the last year or so.

Yeah this. Personally, while it's not something I would actively seek out, I'm not opposed to it if done well. My issue is that most of the stuff I've heard is adding nothing to my aural party - there's already enough fantastic rap from back then that I can still discover this many years later. If you're going to do something that harks back to then it really helps if the beat is actually great rather than an acceptable facsimile and the artist is rapping about something other than the art of rapping itself, otherwise it all becomes a bit of a shoulder shrug to me.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    The Jurassic 5 were mining pre-"Golden Age" Hip Hop.

Didnt "Golden Age" Retro Rap happen a while ago?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Golden Age is fast-paced '88-92, not dark and gloomy '94.

HarveyCanal said:
    Golden Age is fast-paced '86-92, not dark and gloomy '94.

:cheese:

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I'm fine with that. Too many want to call The Infamous and Biggie Golden Age...um, no.

HarveyCanal said:
    I'm fine with that. Too many want to call The Infamous and Biggie Golden Age...um, no.

I agree.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

Well said.

That Noreaga/Large Professor track sounds fairly throwbackish to me, but in a very good and natural way, not in any sort of contrived way

• DJ_Enki said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Well said.

That Noreaga/Large Professor track sounds fairly throwbackish to me, but in a very good and natural way, not in any sort of contrived way

extra p and buckwild are two "throw back" producers that i feel are taking that sound into the future and still working consistently. the dj premier stuff that comes out in 2K-whatever just still feels the same as premier stuff through the 90s, not that theres anything wrong with that..

batmon said:
    HarveyCanal said:

I agree.

What about kids who regard Pac as "old-school"?

For clarity's sake, I was thinking more of the continuing trend in some quarters towards throwback rap, whether in the overly-stylised Jurassic 5 kind of way or the "trying to make everything sound like 1992" way evident in the work of Joey Bada$$. It's one thing for Extra P and Buckwild to stick to a particular aesthetic - they've been doing shit that way for long enough to be able to build an argument that it's their aesthetic anyway.

But for anyone coming to the game now, it's not as if it requires a vast commitment in terms of time or money to make music that way. Like Raphael Saadiq or Jack White or Gabe Roth bending over backwards to make their (new) music sound as old as possible, you're making a number of very specific artistic choices that have as much to do with your personal values as they do with the actual music you want to make. And if the music's good enough, the precise nature of those choices won't matter. But I'm not trying to hear anyone talking about how they only use the SP1200 or the S950 or the ASR-10 like those things are badges of authenticity rather than just tools, and that they're somehow going to make your shit better than some shit done in a box room by a kid with a laptop and a cracked copy of FL Studio.

DocMcCoy said:
    batmon said:
    HarveyCanal said:

I agree.

Rick James was on The Big Chill Soundtrack!!

batmon said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    batmon said:
    HarveyCanal said:

I agree.

That's only because it was on Motown.

DocMcCoy said:
    batmon said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    batmon said:
    HarveyCanal said:

I agree.

That's only because it was on Motown.

Pac was on Enjoy!

• elpres said:
    the beat was produced back in '98...

Amazing album,

Hopefully Mr Parker is about to get paid!

Interesting thanks.