Bobby Hutcherson appreciation

RishanRishan 454 Posts
edited January 2013 in Strut Central
Dude has got 15+ brilliant albums. He couldn't do wrong in my eyes. I just picked up the Live at Montreux album, which I'd never heard before and of course it's excellent. What's your favourite? If I had to choose one it might be Stick Up! with Joe Henderson, but really his whole output is masterful.

Comments

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Last one I listened to, really great:

I also listened to this the other night, which I love:

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Phew! Where to start? Don't have all of it, my rule used to be if he had the wooly hat on, it would be good.

San Francisco (w. Harold Land) is my pick of that era. Later I think Farewell Keystone and Spiral are also nice. Everyone talks about Components but I can never get into the B side. He's still going strong, there's one with "Chan's Song" on it that I love (it's Skyline from 1999, just googled it).

• love me some bobby hutcherson, especially the mid to late 60's albums. "now", in particualr, is incredibly ambitious, righteous and not too hard to find on the cheap.

does BH play on the aquarians records?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I love Bobby Hutcherson to death, but I have to admit that it helps that Milt Jackson withstanding, he was almost the only vibraphone player on any key records from that hard bop progressing into soul funk/fusion era.

I'm also happy to say that I loved seeing him perform at Mr. E's in Berkeley about 10 or so years ago.

LEGEND!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    And Roy Ayers (by way of Herbie Mann) and Gary Burton lovers: please know that I'm already considering you before you shout at my admittedly simplistic statement above.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    love bobby he was my transition artist to deeper jazz in the beginning
    i remember buying san francisco with a HMV gift card when i was 12
    plus my finds of his records went from my WOF days with montara to dialogue recently
    but my favorite remains components
    so versatile and did the 80s game well
    he really explored the instrument and is an inspiration to try my hands at vibes one day

• J i m s t e r said:
    Everyone talks about Components but I can never get into the B side. .
    Yeah, it's so weird that one. Like the two sides weren't meant to be paired (B side is all Joe Chambers's tunes). Little B and Tranquility on the A side are so beautiful.
    Dialogue and Oblique are 2 of my favourite purchases of the last 3 years.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    His group with Harold Land was one of the best going at that time. Total Eclipse, that's another superb one. Land's Peacemaker album and Mainstream stuff are also great too. Such a good player.

I never checked for Now, purely because I don't think I like vocals all that much with Blue Note in that period, but I really should give it a chance. After all I love Andy Bey and Gary Bartz from a bit later...

Bobby was on so many great records as a sideman too, and he went strong right throughout the 70's when not many other veteran cats were still doing that style of jazz

• Playing his records for years now.
    He has a magical touch when playing the vibes.
    Every album up to this day has at least 1 or more tracks to enjoy.

Knucklebeam's "Little B Poem" (1977)
    Patterns' "Effi" (1980, earlier recordings)
    Color Schemes' "Color Schemes" (1986)
    Cruisin' The Bird's "On The Delta" (1988)
    Highway One's "Highway One" & "Circle" (1978)
    Conception: The Gift of Love's "No Siree Bob" (1979)
    Un Poco Loco's "Silver Hollow" (1980)
    And Many more !
    + The beautiful "San Francisco" lp which is dream combination with the very much under-rated Harold Land.
    And my personal favorite "Montara" (1975)
    A record you can play from start to finish, over & over again!

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    With an artist of his caliber it's easier to say what you don't like. Natural illusions is one that I avoid. Any other LP is worth listening to

• My friend Matt is friends with Mr Hutcherson's son. He would have his son tell him about the samples he heard in the rap records he was listening to. I think he pointed out an uncleared Royal Flush sample and Bobby bought him a car as a reward.

• Natural Illusions
    Montara
    San Franscisco

And just found Stick-Up a few days ago. Also very very good.

• yeah, "natural illusions" sucks as does "linger lane"..."waiting" is sort of an underrated fusion effort.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Rishan said:
    His group with Harold Land was one of the best going at that time.

Every time I find San Francisco I buy it and give it to a friend.... it's one of those swingin, deep, tight, funky, albums that just does everything right. He played as sideman on some of my GOATS like Grant Green's Idle Moment, Donald Byrd's Ethiopian Knight's, Eddie Henderson's Sunburst, and Duke Pearson's The Phantom.

As for his personal output the Tops for me is the A side to Components ( the less free side, I think it A), Stick Up, Dialogue has some great stuff, Now is a killer oddball, and Montara. Haven't listened to Happenings in a while and can't remember if it's just a pretty face.

Is Bobby still playing?