Whut? Thee Album vs. Dare Iz A Darkside

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited November 2012 in Strut Central
Dare.

discuss

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Is this a "recent" revelation or an always held opinion? Seems nearly impossible. Please clarify.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    dammit

• I smoked a lot of weed to Dare, and that entry in the Supaman Lova saga is my favorite.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Hard one to decide on.

I think Whut? put Red on the map (along with his EPMD cameos) and Dare established his spot and his style...

I remember when Whut? dropped I had a lot of love for it and found it refreshing/innovative/entertaining and very funky but I think Ive played Dare more times start to finish than Whut?...

Whut? had some killer tracks, but a lot going on in between that I find a bit distracting at times for a start-to-finish playing...whereas Dare... is more polished, well-rounded and easy to get lost into it...

BTW - Wenya called for you...

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Based on favorite songs:

OR

and amount of songs I still listen to/remember:

I gotta go with Whut.

Whut was and still is a banger, but he graduated from the EPmD Zapp Clap on Dare and shit seemed more well rounded and his rhyme steez was even more complex.

Dare sounds better down the line because of its graduation from the Zapp Clapp but Whut was on some Rookie of the Year shit.

• Dare for me. Both are great, but Dare came out when I was a freshman in high school and I hadn't even heard Whut yet. Dare was my entry point and I listened to it a lot. I listened to it a few months back for a few days in my car. Great record.

Controller_7 said:
    Dare for me. Both are great, but Dare came out when I was a freshman in high school and I hadn't even heard Whut yet. Dare was my entry point and I listened to it a lot. I listened to it a few months back for a few days in my car. Great record.

latte pas shit

Controller_7 said:
    Dare for me. Both are great, but Dare came out when I was a freshman in high school and I hadn't even heard Whut yet. Dare was my entry point and I listened to it a lot. I listened to it a few months back for a few days in my car. Great record.

latte pas shit

Controller_7 said:

latte pas shit

Controller_7 said:

latte pas shit

Controller_7 said:

latte pas shit

Controller_7 said:

latte pas shit

Controller_7 said:

latte pas shit

Controller_7 said:

latte pas shit

Controller_7 said:

latte pas shit

Controller_7 said:

latte pas

• Dude, that was some triple espresso pass shit.

Youre right, I can't make a fair assessment of which is better, because nobody hipped me to Whut in middle school and it wasn't the same listening to them in reverse order. I still like Dare as a whole better though.

Quadrangle postage

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts

darkside - he's too conformist, too likeable on whut thee album. On dare he really came into his own. whole record is pure redman weeded out one misty clouded jam from beginning to end. my memories of that album feel like i spent a whole month smoking and listening to it without leaving the house when it dropped.

• I'm a Whut fan. But it seems like its an age thing. If you were 16+ when Whut came out, you were probably feelin Whut. Darkside was good too but by the time that came out I was in college and looking for more underground type Ish that Stretch, college radio shows, mixtape DJ's would play.

• Dare feels like a Funkadelic record, Whut is more a Parliament joint.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Dare.

gareth said:
    Dare feels like a Funkadelic record, Whut is more a Parliament joint.

:face_melt: :PFUNK:

• batmon said:
    gareth said:
    Dare feels like a Funkadelic record, Whut is more a Parliament joint.

:face_melt: :PFUNK:

Hell yeah, that's some 7am waiting at the bus stop shit. Enjoy it v

• I love em both being that I'm a fan of Redman since his days with the Hit Squad and EPMD. I'd have to go with the beginning, what started Red off, the Whut album. He had the rhymes, beats, hoodies, vests, and timberland boots. Hell, he even had the fro with the nasal drip tissue plug in the nose for his own look. "Blow Your Mind" I bought that single and played it until the album dropped.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I haven't listened to either one in a long time. Shame on me. I just keep reaching for Muddy Waters when I want to bump some Redman.

• DJ_Enki said:
    I haven't listened to either one in a long time. Shame on me. I just keep reaching for Muddy Waters when I want to bump some Redman.

Believe it or not, I've never heard that album. My younger brother told me that it was his best.

• I love both, but Dare wins by one Kids in Hall theme song reference.

This is no HIT on Dare.
    Dont tell me the singles are bangers.

And there is nothing on Dare that remotely fucks w/ Time 4 Sum Aksion