DJ Matthew Africa Plays Seven Inches

holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
edited September 2012 in Soul Strut
Words fail me right now
So maybe just download & listen
http://blog.djmatthewafrica.com/

Comments

• My heart goes out to his friends and family. I've downloaded nearly every song he's shared on his blog. Wish I could've met the man in person.

Does anybody have a DL of Soul Boulders they can share? My CD is in storage. Might be emotionally difficult to listen to right now, but I'd like to revisit it at some point.

• I just found out about this. such terrible news.

• What!? What happened to Matthew???

• gutted. im actually sick to my stomach. and all i ever did was read the man's typed words on a screen.

so sad.

sending a torrent of thoughts and prayers to the family and friends.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Damn, RIP.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Matthew was such a great dude. So enthusiastic about music and people that make it. What a loss for the world.

• Horrible. I used to see him around all the time for years when I lived in Oakland. One of the nicest guys. Rest in Peace

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Oh my God. No.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    gutted. im actually sick to my stomach. and all i ever did was read the man's typed words on a screen.

That, and all his mixes I have saved on my laptop, have me feeling the same way. Never met the guy, but I had no doubt that he was the dude.

Really heartbreaking.

RIP

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    damn.

• His sister posted this on his Facebook page:

My brother, Matthew Africa, was killed in a car accident on Monday afternoon. He and his beloved wife, Ha Le, were returning from a trip to Yosemite when their car collided with a big rig on a highway near Modesto. They tell us he died instantly; miraculously, she survived with multiple fractures. His absence is unbearable. Please keep our families in your thoughts and prayers. Details regarding a memorial service will be posted later. #thereisalightanditnevergoesout

This hurts.

• I've always felt lucky to know the guy, to have heard him DJ live, to have spun alongside him, to enjoy his mixes, to hear his laugh, to laugh my ass off at his jokes and quips, to benefit from his massive intellect, to be his friend.

This is unbelievably shitty.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    this is fucking horrible. RIP

• I don't know what to say. This hurts so much. Matthew was an idol to me when I was a young kid listening to KALX and trying to figure out rap music and records. Years later, as adults, I had the pleasure to learn that he was the coolest dude you could hope to meet and most generous with his knowledge, which was massive. I'm sitting here in my shop, the thing through which I was able to give a little back to Matthew by hipping him to some new records, I'm trying to let these dudes shop and whatever and all I want to do is go home and cry. Fuck this shit.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    This is really really Sad.

His Twee Funk mix was one of my all time favorites. His music meant something to people all over the world.

Strength to his family and friends during this painful time.

• fuck! his gangstarr mix killed it!

matthew africa bitch!

• i cant stop crying. huge huge loss. i cant even imagin what his inner circle is going through but i hope for all the strength in the world for them as they push through.
    i had plans of working on some shed of his and spending time with him inthe bay and talking about mid life direction things that we kept saying we'd talk about in person rather than on line and now all i can do is imagine is how wonderful that would have been. i recently bought a stack of soul boulders 1 n 2 and have been giving them to friends out here for birthdays. dont know how im going to ever be able to listen to that cd without crying

big hugs and love to all his bay area family on here and sklute and cosmo and everyone. the world really got robbed on this one.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    I don't know what to say.

Yeah man. I've known Matthew since the our days at KALX in the mid-90s. He was someone who initially intimidated me until I got to know him as this incredibly warm, knowledgable and funny dude. GENUINE through and through. This is devastating and I only found out about 5 minutes ago. I'm still processing.

• RIP

• Terrible news. I didn't know him personally like some folks on here, but I always greatly appreciated his words and music. RIP

• I remember in 1996 lugging records into KALX for Odub with Icewater, who pointed at Matthew and said "that's Matt Africa" in a real hushed, reverential tone haha. And music-wise the guy definitely warranted the reverence. Countless Tall Can Marathons and Hard As Fuck parties and Soul Boulders releases later and you realize this local music legend also happened to be just about the nicest fucking dude on the planet. Sharp as hell, too. Fuck he was just posting in "rap you're liking" last week! Sad day.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Was he still mongo slade or had he changed usernames? or am i wrong about mongo slade?

edit: i see what you're on about, that was actually a year ago.

• holmes said:
    Was he still mongo slade or had he changed usernames? or am i wrong about mongo slade?

he was mongo slade. our first (?) interaction on this site he dissed me. Wish someone could find that shit. I found a Roy Ayers record at Amoeba and was happy about it. He took me down a peg. Hahahahaha.

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    holmes said:

he was mongo slade. our first (?) interaction on this site he dissed me. Wish someone could find that shit. I found a Roy Ayers record at Amoeba and was happy about it. He took me down a peg. Hahahahaha.
    ha ha, that sounds funny.

• the same Mongo Slade who donated a copy of Stark Reality to benefit New Orleans during our heatrocks auction

• Sorry to hear about this..

Loved his site and wished i had some of those old KALX shows he did with Beni B.

• tripledouble said:
    the same Mongo Slade who donated a copy of Stark Reality to benefit New Orleans during our heatrocks auction

• Jonny_Paycheck said:
    holmes said:

Dude had a GREAT sense of humor! A few times a month, something he posted here runs through my mind and I laugh to myself. For those that don't know, Matthew was a lawyer. And yes, Matthew Africa was his real name. Anyway, some Strutter was poppin' off about some legal shit that he was obviously unqualified to speak on. Ol' Mongo showed up in the thread and said, "Well, I have passed the bar and I know a lil' bit...."

And that was Matthew, in a nutshell. A highly educated hilarious motherfucker who could quote a rap lyric--pretty much any damn rap lyric--at the drop of a hat. And it would always put a smile on your face.

That Stark Reality Heatrock thing was pretty awesome.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    The first - and one of too few times - I met Matthew, I was DJing at PST in the bay and struggling with the flu through a pretty rough night. My first time using a rotary mixer, I accidentally unplugged the tables during Sake's set and later got berated by Warren Sapp and his girl in front of the club (yeah, one of those nights). But the one thing that stands out most from that night was seeing Matthew in the crowd and the sheer embarrassment of that being the first time he heard me play.

I had, and continue to have, the utmost respect for him not only as a DJ, but as a human being. The times he's shouted me out on his blog always made me feel like I was doing something right. This has been a huge loss for all of us. He will continue to live on through his music and our memories.

Rest In Peace, Matthew. You were gone too soon.