Footage of well known dj's & producers & their collectrons (record pron related)

ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
edited September 2012 in Strut Central
Some of you will probably enjoy the record pron on this 'Crate Diggers' series from Fuse:

DJ Muggs

etc....

Comments

• dayday 9,612 Posts

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Pete Rock @ 1:45 !!!!!!

• Mind blown on the Dj Muggs episode...

The creative process discussion is amazing.

Thanks OST

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    i want to know where peanut butter wolf got those wooden 45 crates.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    ^ Nice.

Here''s the latest one: CUT CHEMIST

• damn muro's got a dope voice, id like to hear some of the raps he did

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    damn muro's got a dope voice, id like to hear some of the raps he did

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    ost said:
    ^ Nice.

This was great. Cut is a total geek. Loud Records catalog!?

• RAJ said:

I find his filing system kind of amazing. I bet he has an amazing memory for names and titles, because filing by label and subsidiary is a bizarre way to do it. You'd have artists in multiple places and the same artist on the same label could be all spread out based on years.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Did you watch the Z-Trip video? He's got his collection organized by BPM. Obviously good for a working DJ, but how the hell would you find anything for casual listening?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    motown67 said:
    Did you watch the Z-Trip video? He's got his collection organized by BPM. Obviously good for a working DJ, but how the hell would you find anything for casual listening?

I don't know how much casual listening he's doing these days, but I do know that he can find things in there pretty easily--he associates everything with its BPM. He files his records the same way he files music in his head. Kinda crazy.

• YemskyYemsky 707 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    RAJ said:

I find his filing system kind of amazing. I bet he has an amazing memory for names and titles, because filing by label and subsidiary is a bizarre way to do it. You'd have artists in multiple places and the same artist on the same label could be all spread out based on years.

I saw that about 10 years ago for the first time in a private collection (Dr Rubberfunk / Mr G??der) and was surprised. It surely makes it look neat - like a distribution warehouse.
    What I am even more surprised by is when people have catalogue numbers memorised. I think there was a video a while ago where Amir just dropped a few numbers in the conversation. Bizarre by my standards and abilities.

• ost said:

Nice to see an El Sur bag @ 10:08

Wonder what he bought there ...

• YemskyYemsky 707 Posts
    plainstone said:
    ost said:

Nice to see an El Sur bag @ 10:08

Wonder what he bought there ...
    The bag scene was one of the highlights of the Cut Chemist video.
    I remember asking on the Strut around 2000-2002 who else is collecting record store bags and being laughed off along the lines of "get a life". I thought that was a strange reaction from people who happily amass other music artefacts. Needless to say that my bag collection hasn't survived four moves, including one transatlantic one. However, I have to admit that there are memories connected to some of them from shops which bore treasures or were simply in places that made the whole trip an experience.

• ost said:
    ^ Nice.

This was great. He gives an extended shout-out to Funk-O-Mart in Philly which up until very recently was still on Market Street.

• Yemsky said:

I remember asking on the Strut around 2000-2002 who else is collecting record store bags and being laughed off along the lines of "get a life". I thought that was a strange reaction from people who happily amass other music artefacts. Needless to say that my bag collection hasn't survived four moves, including one transatlantic one. However, I have to admit that there are memories connected to some of them from shops which bore treasures or were simply in places that made the whole trip an experience.

You're not alone. Here are some of mine

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    plainstone said:
    Yemsky said:

You're not alone. Here are some of mine

I thought the video overall was good, but the bags were a whole new testament to being a nerd. Especially ones he has held onto for so long.

Holy shit, the new one is: dj Jazzy Jay

• ^^^ Sorry but when you get 15 minutes to detail Jazzy Jays collection I don't want 7 minutes of origin story & I don't want to hear about Juice/D.C. LaRue/King Errisson, great & all as those records are. I want to hear about the crazy shit you know no one else got in that 600k collection!

Wasted opportunity. Hopefully they learn if they ever score Bambaatta or Red Alert........the old sound system was cool though

• If you have 600,000 records, my guess is that 500,000 or more are things that most people would give away for free.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Risingson said:
    ^^^ Sorry but when you get 15 minutes to detail Jazzy Jays collection I don't want 7 minutes of origin story & I don't want to hear about Juice/D.C. LaRue/King Errisson, great & all as those records are. I want to hear about the crazy shit you know no one else got in that 600k collection!

Wasted opportunity. Hopefully they learn if they ever score Bambaatta or Red Alert........the old sound system was cool though

My idea exactly. Some of these cats treat the interview as publicity moments for the masses. The interviewer, if he even notices, lazily clings on to the format, which gets in the way of what the story imo should really be about.
    Show me the money dammit!!
    And yeah, least thing you can do is get Jazzy to admit he went just a little overboard in hoarding 600.000 records. I want him to say sorry on screen to his mom for that as well, since she's the one with, say, 200k Sayer/Christmas comp albums in the basement.

Either way it shows Jazzy apparantly is mainly interested in quantity not quality. And certainly not collectabilty.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

Also, I typed all this out to post on FB in case any of you want to use it for whatever:

"I will say it keeps you sharp, because there is no Absolute Mode when you're spinning, you know, a record. There is no Relative Mode. There is no Internal Mode. The record's scratched, it's gonna skip. If somebody bumps your turntable, it's gonna skip. If you're not paying attention, you can knock the needle off the record and the music will stop. You know, so it keeps you sharp. So it's definitely a whole different skill set playing, you know, with vinyl." - Just Blaze

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Dubble bubble.

• Herm said:

"I will say it keeps you sharp, because there is no Absolute Mode when you're spinning, you know, a record. There is no Relative Mode. There is no Internal Mode. The record's scratched, it's gonna skip. If somebody bumps your turntable, it's gonna skip. If you're not paying attention, you can knock the needle off the record and the music will stop. You know, so it keeps you sharp. So it's definitely a whole different skill set playing, you know, with vinyl." - Just Blaze

I thought that was great aswell......not sure about 4G's for a copy of Baby Don't Cry though

• gotta love his friend finger fucking some stark reality.
    Attached files

• best episode yet? actually about record collection rather than their personal history only.

• Herm said:

That YouTube screen grab makes it look like they got Anthony Anderson to play Just Blaze

BTW, concerning Cut Chemist, I forgot to mention that my friends took him digging that time when he was in Buenos Aires & he didn't actually buy anything from Abraxas. It's really a pretty small, very limited selection, record store. After years of going there off & on I only found like one or two reasonably priced Argentinian rock records, Ryo Kawasaki - Juice NM for $5, & John Coltrane & Dizzy Gillespie NM on Jasmine for $5. So , not great.

New one:

Diamond D