Soulstrut bug/virus/haxzorz?

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited August 2012 in Strut Central
Hey Raj last couple days any time I click on a thread on my phone I get a pop-up message saying "Safari can't download this file"

What's that all about?

Comments

• You've been Stinkied. Or maybe Bear Clawed.

I'm on an iPhone too and haven't had this happen. The Mardis thread page 1 has crashed Safari several times, but I have not seen your error.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    That's a weird error. IpHone looks good to me.

Russian SPAMMERS have been hammering the site though lately. Fuck em.

• this happens to me too.

• FYI this is still happening, makes it next to impossible to surf the site. Took me 10+ tries just to get into this thread.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    I read and post here almost exclusively via iphone, and I've had no issues.

Kindly,
    parallax

• Jonny, have you tried a hard reboot? Maybe your phone is hung up on something particular and a restart, not just a power off, will fix it. Just an idea, but I'm no expert with this stuff.

Hard reboot (holding both buttons) had fixed some weird shit on my phone.

• Controller_7 said:
    Jonny, have you tried a hard reboot? Maybe your phone is hung up on something particular and a restart, not just a power off, will fix it. Just an idea, but I'm no expert with this stuff.

Hard reboot (holding both buttons) had fixed some weird shit on my phone.

It's only happening on this website, every other site I read is fine.

Fwiw I am out of cell/data range for a week and using a local wi-fi signal for email and net usage, seem to not be experiencing the problem anymore. So it might be on AT&T's end (although that doesn't explain why the issue is strut-specific).

• Tried the hard reset and it didn't work, but a few more data points:

- happens less when logged in
    - does not happen at all on wifi (as opposed to AT&T network coverage)

If I am on my regular AT&T data network, and not logged in, I cannot access any threads. I always get the "Safair cannot download this file" message. Other site links seem to work fine.

Seemed to happen around the time that the beat off soundcloud thread went up.

Whatever, not my site

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    parallax said:
    I read and post here almost exclusively via iphone, and I've had no issues.

Kindly,
    parallax

Same here.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I *think* I've had some funny biz go down if I leave SS open too long on my comp. Another pt is the soundcloud post takes a long time to load, but yeah, seems like something's afoot. Maybe the traffic generated by the beatoff created "hacker interest".

• That thread has crashed safari on my phone many times. Maybe AT&T is putting a cap on this site for you because of the excessive bandwidth from that thread. Sounds like crazy talk, but if it all came around that time then maybe it's something. Don't know about the log-in aspect though.

It wouldn't be a terrible idea to link to them in the post, but not embed the streaming files. Sometimes I want to read the last page and I have to go through the first page on my phone. It's dicey loading that page, just waiting to see the "last" button.

• It still happens to me, never when I am connected to a wireless connection. Only when I am using a data connection.

It prompts me to open a .GZ file in my downloads app.

FWIW, I'm on AT&T on a 4s.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    undertheradar said:
    It still happens to me, never when I am connected to a wireless connection. Only when I am using a data connection.

It prompts me to open a .GZ file in my downloads app.

FWIW, I'm on AT&T on a 4s.

Had this exact .GZ problem off and on for a couple weeks now prompting me to open the file in Dropbox (??).