Soul Strut 100: # 64 - Archie Whitewater - Archie Whitewater (1970)

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited June 2012 in The Soul Strut 100
I will slowly be unveiling the Top 100 Soul Strut Related Records as Voted by the Strutters Themselves.

# 64 - Archie Whitewater - Archie Whitewater (1970)

The list so far:

# 100 - Jr. and His Soulettes - Psychodelic Sounds
# 99 - Sir Joe Quarterman & Free Soul
# 98 - Donny Hathaway - S/T (1971)
# 97 - Bernard Wright - ???Nard
# 96 - Tom Scott - Honeysuckle Breeze
# 95 - People Under the Stairs - Question in the Form of an Answer
# 94 - Harlem River Drive
# 93 - Black Moon - Enta Da Stage
# 92 - Marvin Gaye - Here, My Dear
# 91 - Muddy Waters - Electric Mud
# 90 - Les McCann - Layers
# 89 - Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland
# 88 - Leroy Hutson - Hutson (1975)
# 87 - ESG - S/T (1981)
# 86 - Can - Tago Mago
# 85 - Bohannon - Stop & Go
# 84 - WILLIAM DEVAUGHN - Be Thankful For What You Got
# 83 - Power of Zeus - The Gospel According to Zeus
# 82 - Gang Starr - Hard To Earn
# 81 - The J.B.???s - Doing It to Death
# 80 - Parliament - Osmium
# 79 - McNeal & Niles - Thrust
# 78 - The Lafayette Afro Rock Band - Malik
# 77 - Earth, Wind, and Fire (1971)
# 76 - Dr. Dre - The Chronic
# 75 - Black Sabbath (1970)
# 74 - Trap Door / An International Psychedelic Mystery Mix (2006)
# 73 - Bob James - One
# 72 - Matthew Larkin Cassell - Pieces
# 71 - The Beginning Of The End - Funky Nassau
# 70 - Big Bear - Doin??? Thangs
# 69 - Steely Dan - Aja
# 68 - Quasimoto - The Unseen
# 67 - Curtis Mayfield - Curtis/Live! (1971)
# 66 - Al Green - Im still in love with you
# 65 - The Beatnuts - Street Level

Please discuss your reactions to this record. The thread will be archived later here.

About

Cadet was known for its extensive Blues and Jazz releases. When Marshall Chess got back from college to take an active part in his family???s business he started Cadet Concept for his musical excursions into Psych and Fuzz projects. Archie Whitewater was one of these albums. The group sounds like a lot of white Rock acts back then who were mixing Rock with Soul, Jazz and Blues for good measure. They have horns and male and female vocals, but for most of the record, that combination simply doesn???t work. It???s not until the 2nd side that they start putting together some quality tracks. First is the drum and bass line of Home Again with guitar and horns over the top that gets your head to start moving. Then there???s the mellow Soul-Jazz piece Cross Country that catches your attention for more than the fact that it was sampled by Common for Chapter 13. The band???s greatest achievement comes last with the short and sweet instrumental Hulk where they finally let loose.

http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/reviews/indepth/Archie Whitewater/

Related Threads

Archie Whitewater
Unreleased Archie Whitewater (and other FANTASIES)
Top 5 real headz records you need in your life

Media

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Great record, still searching for an affordable copy.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Found a copy at a record show in Edison, NJ in the 00's. NOT LETTING GO.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Past bunch have been amazing records...what can be coming up!!??

Next best thing to the thrill of one's own long-time want is finding another copy to satisfy someone else's long-time want.
    I think I got a bigger kick when I found this for my brother than the one I got myself.

I love how this record is both uplifting and melancholy at the same time. Gorgeous!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I recall it being a pedestrian rock record with some experimental flourishes.
    Was glad to sell it 15 years ago.
    If I get another I will listen again.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Duderonomy said:

Ditto - one of my oldest wants

LaserWolf said:
    I recall it being a pedestrian rock record with some f*cking gorgeous arrangements.

Fixed.

bassie said:
    Next best thing to the thrill of one's own long-time want is finding another copy to satisfy someone else's long-time want.
    I think I got a bigger kick when I found this for my brother than the one I got myself.

Tell your family to quick hogging all the Archie Whitewater's
    b/w
    Help, plaese

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    ketan said:

bassie said:

Tell your family to quick hogging all the Archie Whitewater's
    b/w
    Help, plaese

hahaha! - After my parents get their copies, it's you!

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Duderonomy said:

Me too.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    stratasphere said:
    Duderonomy said:

Me too.

Me three.

At times, I've definitely listened to Cross Country 10 or 15 times in a row.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    bassie said:

I love how this record is both uplifting and melancholy at the same time. Gorgeous!

one of my favorites!!! start to finish, front to back. sound and vibe is perfect. anyone dissing this record must be on some different wavelength than where my mind can usually be found

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Making dreams come true in a setsale, one record at a time.
    b/w
    I love this record.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Truly outrageous in it's weight and it's beauty... a classic. There's a sequel that's only available reel to reel... it's been floated on waxderm before, it's good. A little looser, but for anyone looking for more Archie it is great. If anyone can up that shit easily please do... so necessary.

• Worth a spot on this great list on the strength of "Cross Country" alone (one of my all-time favorites; the vibe solo kills me every time because I always forget it's coming.) But when you factor in the fact that this record also contains "Friends and Neighbors" and "Hulk"......

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    bassie said:
    Past bunch have been amazing records...what can be coming up!!??

Archie Whitewater "S/T" is a masterpiece from beginning to end. "Northstar" (repped on my "Weekend at Shadybrook Clinic" mix) is my cut off of this wonderful LP. ;-) The "S/T" joint simply HAD to make the Soul Strut 100, or I'd call .

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

whole damn thing. northstar, seacoast are haunting
    home again is awesome
    friends and neighbors too
    i dont even know if crosscountry is the best song on this

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Really sweet record, one that fits over memories that existed prior to my having heard it. Now they are inseparable.

I remember when this was a $50-60 record, the price is only going up. I advise you guys looking for an "affordable" copy to buy the next one you see anywhere south of a c note.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    another all-time favourite. whole thing is sublime. bought it for $50 from TSL back in the very early 00's, my biggest purchase at the time as a youngster with little money. had to think about it for a while before dropping the coin, but didn't regret forking out in the slightest bit after hearing the whole thing. did however regret losing it (by mistake) when it was in with another pile of records I sold to a dealer. i find it strange that there is a UK pressing of this, but I have never, and don't know anyone who has, seen it in the field.

i bought it in portland in 95 for $4. have found other copies since, but definitely still have that copy.
    interesting that there is a UK press, but it may explain why the UK group Trifle covered one of their songs

• SpacechoSpacecho 176 Posts
    Is there anywhere you can get legit mp3's of this album? I seem to remember it for sale on the old-look Wax Poetics site but can't find it there anymore.

edit - copped an el cheapo CD off ebay

• Love this LP... :feelin_it:

• BowlsBowls 28 Posts
    Saw a $35 copy at a store here in Nashville a few months ago, dropped the needle on "Cross Country" just to make sure the sound was as clean as the record looked, and happily took it home. I had NO idea the entire album was so fucking good. "Cross Country" is obviously the only reason I knew about it, but I was blown away by that entire side. Amazing record, and in hindsight I would've paid pretty much any sub-$100 price tag they put on it.

I'm definitely a little dude when it comes to these things, but this is just a legendary piece to me. I knew it'd be on the SS 100 at some point.

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    Great LP, deserves to be on the list, hard to pick a favourite track but I'd have to go with 'Home again'. The UK press is very raer and pricey, I know a couple of people on VG+ own it as a UK press.

:feelin_it:

• SoulpowerSoulpower 204 Posts
    Easily one of my favorite records. I found this at the Pasadena flea market in '96. I don't think I paid more than $10 for it. It's still in decent shape because it's one of those "special occasions" record.
    The group recorded a second album ... the masters were located a few years ago, I don't know if they were ever released ...

yeah there were downloads of the second record floating around for a bit. not quite as god but it had its moments.

jus want to chime in again on how atmospheric and haunting "seacoast" is

i got hipped to this by my homie Ben V who used to write for on the go's diggin in the crates (after Cosmo). like most of his write ups, it was a pretty stellar review and spoke to the wonderful coexistence between the female and male vocal led songs, which i dont think ever happend on the same track

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    So does anybody have mp3s of this second album? I have something which is labelled 'Unreleased Material from the Cadet Concept Label' and has tracks like The Day You Leave, You're The One and Get Back Home, is this the same thing or something else?

Happy to upload that when I get home for anybody who wants it?

• tripledouble said:
    whole damn thing. northstar, seacoast are haunting
    home again is awesome
    friends and neighbors too
    i dont even know if crosscountry is the best song on this

Co-sign on the haunting nature of Seacoast, it's been on repeat for weeks. I ended up using it to start off a side of this rainy day mix - http://treats.djteddyruckspin.com/track/side-b-2

Props to the strut for putting me on to AW.