NAT WILLIAMS & THE DRY-DELLS: soul TV commercial (attn. Batmon)

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited May 2012 in Strut Central
Does anybody know anything about this group or this commercial for Drake's Fruit Pies?

Evidently, this was circa 1972, I think. As much television as I watched between '72-74 (when it was shown), I don't remember this. The reason why I mentioned Batmon in the title is because it's possible this may have run on the East Coast only.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Ive never seen that.

Plus i dont really remember tv until 75/76.

In 72 i was just shitting on myself.

Plus....who are those cats. I cant find any music info on them.
    Were they just some regional local subway high school drop out doo wop group that got discovered by a progressive white marketing team?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I have no earthly idea. I Googled my ass off and everything led back to this commercial. At least in the Youtube link we're lucky to get their names. Will look them up later to see if they did anything else.

As far as Nat Williams himself, that is a fairly common name. There are at least two other N.W.'s involved in music who I am quite sure isn't this guy.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Google says these were kids pulled from the Bronx Boro(ugh?)-Wide Chorus, that they were from JHS 82, were "Leotis, Lekan, Dot, Monique, Nat Williams and Diane," and that Nat is a former theater kid who did stuff with Eartha Kitt and currently gets his fruit-pie money as some Media something down in Tampa/St. Pete. And I know you stay glued to that Twitter, pickwick--you can always holler at your dude on there at "williamsnat".

What did we ever do before the intenet?

(Besides listen to records, I mean.)

Ah, cool - shoulda looked a little farther than I did! Thanks...

Ah, cool - shoulda looked a little farther than I did! Thanks...

• Apologies for the bump, but thank you for the information. Not much about them online.
     I was about 10 years old and lived in the Bronx, had never heard of Doo-wop (though Grease was running on Broadway with ads on TV), when this aired, and it aired so often that I still sing it whenever I eat Drake's Fruit Pies. 
     We would have spelled it boro-wide -- at least the orchestra spelled it that way.
    pickwick33dukeofdelridge

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Chesler said:
     I was about 10 years old and lived in the Bronx, had never heard of Doo-wop (though Grease was running on Broadway with ads on TV), when this aired, and it aired so often that I still sing it whenever I eat Drake's Fruit Pies. 

Does this count as a Hayek in the oh sixteen? It's great!