Electronic music bores the shit out of me!

SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
edited April 2012 in Strut Central
Sorry dudes.. but I like electric guitars & real drummers. Can we move on yet? - spidey

Comments

• what is the purpose of this posting?

b/w

the only real, authentic, soulful music is made with rocks and sticks, caveman style.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    what is the purpose of this posting?

Progress, griping, general dissent with 2012.

- spidey

• :micro:

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    This thread is a spectacularly bad look waiting to happen.

Either that or it's wilfully dumb-as-a-brick troll bait.

DocMcCoy said:

Or, we could have an intelligent discourse. So, do you agree or disagree with me, and why? - Diego

SPlDEY said:
    DocMcCoy said:

Or, we could have an intelligent discourse. So, do you agree or disagree with me, and why? - Diego

Dude, the premise itself is dumb as shit, so you're not exactly starting from a position of strength. "Can we move on yet?" To what, precisely? How about you make your case first? Right now, you're talking like the frontman for a Charlie Daniels cover band.

I like guitars and real drummers. I like electronic music. I like both together, sometimes. I like music that features neither guitars and real drummers nor electronics. I even like silence. As far as this topic is concerned, I think I might like silence best of all.

• SPlDEY said:
    So, do you agree or disagree with me, and why? - Diego

I agree with you that electronic music bores the shit out of you because you stated so in this thread's title.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    SPlDEY said:
    DocMcCoy said:

Why have discourse if youve already stated your limited opinion.

Are you looking for someone to convince you?

• batmon said:

Why have discourse if youve already stated your limited opinion.

Are you looking for someone to convince you?

self-discourse, aka mental masterbation aka http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-affirmation

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    soul music leaves me COLD

jazz SUCKS

and don't get me started on urban music

• disagree

here are a few reasons why (embed issues)

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

TheKindCromang said:
    SPlDEY said:
    So, do you agree or disagree with me, and why? - Diego

I agree with you that electronic music bores the shit out of you because you stated so in this thread's title.

This guy gets it. I'm gonna go get some ice cream.

- spidey

• from what i understand, most people use these things called 'laxatives'. but i suppose using a type of music to manually drill could work as well.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Autotune Sucks!

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    Dear Diary,

WTF is up with these synths and stuff.

Love,

SPIDEY

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I vote we turn this thread into electronic music thread and ignore its initiation.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    SPlDEY said:
    DocMcCoy said:

I agree that you think it's boring, but I disagree that it is.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    While I don't listen to much "Electronic music" now a days. For many years there was more soul in some types of house music than a lot of soul music.

I get people not being able to listen to it tho. Opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    lets see last time i checked???.

daphne oram
    tod dokstader
    robert moog
    raymond scott
    delia derbyshire
    kid baltan and tom dissevelt
    kraftwerk
    80's electro
    art of noise
    Susan cianni
    digital jamaican music
    all the dub producers
    detroit techno pioneers
    afrika bambatta
    house music in general
    warp records--aphex twin squarepusher boards of canada
    rephlex records
    mille plateaux
    ninja tune
    skam???planet mu???..etc etc

all really suck and haven't pioneered anything at all-He's dead on the money!!

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    But Diego, you like Can, which is a bit of a cornerstone

LoopDreams said:
    But Diego, you like Can, which is a bit of a cornerstone

This is true. You can consider CAN early electronic music. I do like Delia Derbyshire, Silver Apples, even some Kraftwerk.

I'm talking more about:

Mind you I live in Vegas. The shit's played. Have I hurt anyones feelings yet?

- spidey

Bon Vivant said:
    SPlDEY said:
    DocMcCoy said:

I agree that you think it's boring, but I disagree that it is.

You know what man.. you're absolutely right. I mean.. you put up a good argument, but I completely agree that I think it's boring. At least we're on the same page.

- Diego

SPlDEY said:

Mind you I live in Vegas. The shit's played. Have I hurt anyones feelings yet?

- spidey

The shit was played 20 years ago, right around the time a contemporaneous Sonic Youth documentary called 1991: The Year Punk Broke was released in the US. You guys might wanna get that watch looked at. I think it might be a little slow.

Seriously, this is what you're upset about? Shitty comedy rave and the dubstep equivalent of Skid Row? That's what you're calling "electronic music"? And the schoolgirl remarks about hurting people's feelings - that's the kind of "intelligent discourse" you were after?

• granjerogranjero 147 Posts
    Hi Diego,
    I think you're talking about a narrow strand of music which America has christened 'EDM', ie electro-riff Euro-house music. Most people on this board are going to agree that from Tiesto to to Deadmou5 to anyone playing a wav file whilst emoting over a control surface, pointing their fingers skywayds and imploring a crowd of easy-to-please prancers on drugs to lose their shit NOW is a joke. But I reckon 75% of them would admit there's some merit to the music that whole aesthetic is derived from eg Daft Punk via Chicago house music via 80s boogie music via blah blah blah.
    I personally agree that those examples you've collaged together make a convincingly hellish argument.
    - Tom

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    I'd have to agree that the cross-section you chose to represent "electronic music" is pretty small and specific, and stuff that I mostly don't care for. However, you did open by saying "I like electric guitars and real drummers" which implies that you have a generally negative view of electronic instruments/sounds. That might not be what you meant, but that's how it comes across.

I'm personally of the opinion that if a person only likes music that's made a particular way, they don't really like music that much.