Game Of Thrones

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Why is everyone so pissed? Serious question. Because they wanted Robb to take the throne? I thought everyone was riding for the blonde chick with the dark eyebrows.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    I'm not pissed. That was amazing... Very few shows could ever get away with killing off main characters and not faze the ability of the show to keep on moving.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Why is everyone so pissed? Serious question. Because they wanted Robb to take the throne? I thought everyone was riding for the blonde chick with the dark eyebrows.
    Really? I mean the Starks are pretty much set up as the wronged party / righteous force for good from the getgo. Maybe you're not invested in the show, but I don't really get that question at all.

Okem said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Really? I mean the Starks are pretty much set up as the wronged party / righteous force for good from the getgo. Maybe you're not invested in the show, but I don't really get that question at all.

Kat was annoying. Robb was pretty righteous I guess, but how well did we really know him? He was Ned's son; that's as far as my love for dude really went. Sure it sucks to see the Lannisters prevail (for now), but either Arya or the blonde chick will ultimately prevail, no?

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    I felt like those people on twitter when Ned got his head detached, it cut me deep and I wasn't sure if I'd ever been fully down with the programme again. That was two series ago so when everyone died yesterday I wasn't concerned it would kill the programme or anything (though obviously none of them were anywhere near as real as Ned was) - I just enjoyed the surprise!

As for who will take the throne, I was breaking down to my friend last night how I didn't care that Robb got slew because I ride for Daenerys but he convinced me that her part of story is sort of dry and her gang are lame. I dunno, I like the places she goes to.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Why is everyone so pissed? Serious question.

One obvious reason is because Arya Stark made a long ass journey for a few seasons to be reunited with her family and came close to achieving that goal only to get front row seats to see them brutally wiped from existence as well as the family name. All that's left are the Stark kids. It's absurd to be sympathetic to her anguish?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    edith head said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

One obvious reason is because Arya Stark made a long ass journey for a few seasons to be reunited with her family and came close to achieving that goal only to get front row seats to see them brutally wiped from existence as well as the family name. All that's left are the Stark kids. It's absurd to be sympathetic to her anguish?

Yeah, this whole seasons I've been on the whole "Can these kids get to their family already!!!" tip.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    Yeah, I actually think it was awesome to kill them off but its still sad to me. The Starks were set up as the good guys to the Lanister's bad guy act.

Also, didn't Rob want to be the king of just the north? Was he actually fighting for the Iron Throne or just freedom?

Dany's toiling in the desert is going too easy now but she did have it worst of all in the start. She was sold/raped and then had her husband and most of her people killed. She's just now doing well.

edith head said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

utterly absurd.

kidding. (who said absurd? I asked why everyone was so pissed/shocked).

I feel for Arya, but I guess I was less emotionally invested in Robb being king than a lot of fools.

Kat was actually wack IMO so seeing her go didn't really bother me.

and Robb's wife looked like a preying mantis and I'm afraid of those.

rootlesscosmo said:
    edith head said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

utterly absurd.

kidding.

I feel for Arya, but I guess I was less emotionally invested in Robb being king than a lot of fools.

and Robb's wife looked like a preying mantis.

I hadn't read any of the books, but I knew something bad was going to happen to him when he got on his moral pedestal and personally executed Lord Karstark for killing the Lannister kids. When Karstark cursed him and reminded him that he had fought along side him before his death, I had a bad feeling and knew Robb would not succeed. He should have listened to his mother.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    How exactly do I go about getting people to shut the fuck up already about this gay ass show?

Well I guess they could hurry up and come out with the new season of Boardwalk Empire, a show that makes GoT look like General Hospital. Then again, it's prolly different people watching these shows so I'm not sure that's gonna lead to anyone shutting up about it.

HarveyCanal said:
    How exactly do I go about getting people to shut the fuck up already about this gay ass show?

try calling them fags?

I prefer: pillowbiters.

HarveyCanal said:
    I prefer: pillowbiters.

PAUSE.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    J
    O
    F
    F
    R
    E
    Y
    D
    A
    G
    O
    D

hooker sex and war is pretty gay.

Yes, take the word gay literally.

Y'all might as well be drinking grog at Ye Olde Renaissance Faire.

• rootlesscosmo said:
    yeah it's much more kings, queens, intrigue than dragons and magic.

It's like the Borgias except it's in fantasyland.

HarveyCanal said:

DANG. i was just kidding.

i understand why this show would be unappealing to a lot.

edith head said:
    HarveyCanal said:

DANG. i was just kidding.

i understand why this show would be unappealing to a lot.

Pull up your skirt and be a man!

who wore it better?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    It's all about Rikon warg-ing it up like a young Professor X.

And the girl with Teh Hound. She's great. Funny how he's become her guardian. Think she might eventually grow to like ol' scar face.

And Tyrion was the best thing about the first season.

That wedding scene was why this show is great. Ruthless treatment of characters... think this will be copied by other shows in future.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    edith head said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    edith head said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

utterly absurd.

kidding.

and Robb's wife looked like a preying mantis.

I hadn't read any of the books, but I knew something bad was going to happen to him when he got on his moral pedestal and personally executed Lord Karstark for killing the Lannister kids. When Karstark cursed him and reminded him that he had fought along side him before his death, I had a bad feeling and knew Robb would not succeed. He should have listened to his mother.
    I think the fact that the characters are not simple stereotypical types is one of the strongest things about the writing. You're conflicted about Kat from the start really because of her back story, she may be on the 'good guys' side but she not an especially likeable character. You don't get to know much about Robb except he's very much his father's son, good a fighting, righteous and loyal but ultimately, just like his father, those strengths were also his undoing. You want the Starks to do well because they've been wronged and forced into this situation, despite being Lords and Ladys they very much represent the common man fighting against the powerful and corrupt. In many ways they are the archetypal heros who should go on to vanquish the evil from the world, but they're also flawed, conflicted characters. Unfortunately GRRM's world doesn't work like that and the fact that they're not power hungry Machiavellian types is ultimately their downfall.
    The 'bad guy' Lannisters are also a mixed bunch, Tyrion is one of the most likeable characters in the show, then you have Jamie who was probably one of the main villains of season one, but by the end of season three he's a much more sympathetic character. Even Joffrey and Cersie are revealed to be little more than pawns in Lord Tywin's game.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Wait. What's wrong with Dungeons and Dragons?!

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Pffff this show is HUUUUUGE its was one of the most downloaded pieces of content ever when the first third season torrent came online.
    Its a poor mans LOTR with other vibes imo but I still ride. Man needs something to watch doesn't he. The whole swords and sandals thing is still gaining momentum in the mainstream. Mermaids might be making a comeback.

This is where its really at though, Vikings are the new zombies:

first scripted show on History.

I was taken aback at that last GOT episode, then relieved when i realized how fucking annoying rob and his mom really were and how meandering their scenes had been lately. Those accents deserved a good throat slashing!

What Is Going on With the Accents in Game of Thrones?

• mickalphabetmickalphabet deep inna majestic segue 374 Posts
    staxwax said:
    Pffff this show is HUUUUUGE its was one of the most downloaded pieces of content ever when the first third season torrent came online.
    Its a poor mans LOTR with other vibes imo but I still ride. Man needs something to watch doesn't he. The whole swords and sandals thing is still gaining momentum in the mainstream. Mermaids might be making a comeback.

This is where its really at though, Vikings are the new zombies:

first scripted show on History.

I was taken aback at that last GOT episode, then relieved when i realized how fucking annoying rob and his mom really were and how meandering their scenes had been lately. Those accents deserved a good throat slashing!

What Is Going on With the Accents in Game of Thrones?

arr.. vikings is good

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Seconded. I didn't watch Vikings when it first came on, but then before the finale they played all the episodes in a row and I got hooked. Watched every single one and then the last episode. Great series.

Plus Walking Dead made a comeback this season talking about Zombies after that crap Season 2.

Walking Dead, otherwise known as "standing around arguing."

I can't stand that shit.

rootlesscosmo said:
    Walking Dead, otherwise known as "standing around arguing."

I can't stand that shit.

don't forget wall-to-wall 1:1 pep talks (i.e. "we're gonna make it...." "don't give up.....")