Soul Strut 100: #92 - Marvin Gaye - Here, My Dear

13»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Burns said:
    yuichi said:
    I gave this a brief listen a few years back after everyone's rave reviews about it here, and then sold it immediately because it didn't resonate with me at the time. Listened to this on my way to work today, and I think it'll be a record that will grow on me.

How? 2 lps, Marvin Gaye, dark, complicated, ups & downs, stabs, surreal, a shitty comparison but could be the souls' equivalent
    to Floyd's The Wall, yeah I said that by a stretch.

The Wall was popular though.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    evolveone said:
    never heard "Here, My Dear"
    saw it the other day in a local spot and picked it up, was kind of disappointed, was expecting a little more

I personally don't understand this, but to each his own. What exactly were you expecting "more" of?

• day said:
    evolveone said:
    never heard "Here, My Dear"
    saw it the other day in a local spot and picked it up, was kind of disappointed, was expecting a little more

I personally don't understand this, but to each his own. What exactly were you expecting "more" of?

maybe i should say i expected less
    imo too many solos, gets a little cheesy at times

• The older gods always told me that this record was to be avoided, a folly, a mess, whatever. One day O Dub and I took a very long trip out to that record store in a barn on City Island. I did not want to leave empty-handed and copped this on the strength of it being a dollar or something and the only not rinked record in the barn. Got it home, cleaned it up, rolled a j and put it on the turntable. I couldn't believe how much I had been mislead. Def my second favorite Marvin LP and certainly the most wrongly maligned record in the catalog of any iconic recording artist. A few years later I was in Tower when they were going out of business. They had a HUGE in-store promo poster for the album, maybe 5 ft by 5 or something. I bought it for $12 and when I started at Atlantic I had it framed and put it up in my office. It has lead to many interesting conversations with a ton of amazing people including Terry Lewis. I think that to know this record is to love it and people are straight up excited to meet someone else who appreciates it. A lot of folks figure that they're the only one who likes it I think.

BUMP

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Was going to post this in the hip hop thread, but didn't seem like the right place - glad you bumped this.

My brother is about to become a father and for the baby shower, he and his GF asked that people bring books and records they would want to share with the child. I had a Mayfield record in mind, but decided on Here, My Dear instead when I happened on it at the store. The nerds were all like "that's a strange choice for a child" - meh. There is plenty of time to find out about the backstory, until then, s/he has some of the loveliest, warmest music to listen to.

• It's in my top 5 for sure ("What's Going On" would be in my top 5 as well). Does anyone have the Deluxe Edition? I was scared when reading about the second disc of remixes, but I'm still curious if the sound quality of the deluxe surpasses of the the '94 release?

Casteneda said:
    It's in my top 5 for sure ("What's Going On" would be in my top 5 as well). Does anyone have the Deluxe Edition? I was scared when reading about the second disc of remixes, but I'm still curious if the sound quality of the deluxe surpasses of the the '94 release?

The Deluxe Edition to me, is the one to own. You get the OG and The Xpanded Sessions disc.
    Its remastered right (yes, superior to the '94 Motown Masters Series)and many of the remixes are the shit!
    With an even newer text from David Ritz.

• batmon said:
    Casteneda said:
    It's in my top 5 for sure ("What's Going On" would be in my top 5 as well). Does anyone have the Deluxe Edition? I was scared when reading about the second disc of remixes, but I'm still curious if the sound quality of the deluxe surpasses of the the '94 release?

The Deluxe Edition to me, is the one to own. You get the OG and The Xpanded Sessions disc.
    Its remastered right (yes, superior to the '94 Motown Masters Series)and many of the remixes are the shit!
    With an even newer text from David Ritz.

Hey thanks, I appreciate it. Will order it today!