Does SS endorse Robert Glasper?

Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
edited March 2012 in Strut Central
Personally, I think this album is exciting, but I'm disconnected from everything.

Comments

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    Good music. Plain and simple.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Indeed. I ride for the whole catalogue.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Glasper Experiment is cool....Glasper Trio is cooler.

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    I listened to the album, and liked it. Although "exciting" is one of the words I wouldn't use to describe it.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I endorse the shit out of this new record. I mentioned it in the New Music/Releases thread last week and got a sniffy response, but that may have been because I referred to it (not entirely seriously) as "jazz rap", which isn't really the case. However, there are rappers on it, and it's a jazz album, although I expect there'll be people who'll argue the toss over that as well. One of my favourites of the year so far.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    hertzhog said:
    I listened to the album, and liked it. Although "exciting" is one of the words I wouldn't use to describe it.

I'm easily excitable.

Seriously though, it's nice to encounter something new that sounds fresh and innovative and substantial.

Anybody seen Glasper live? I'd like to check him out.

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    Saw the trio about 5 years ago, very nice.

• granjerogranjero 147 Posts
    hertzhog said:

Anybody seen Glasper live? I'd like to check him out.

Seen the trio 3 or 4 times now.
    IMO:
    Best was when Bilal sung with them and they did an epic version of 'A Love Supreme'. Bilal is a spectacle in a jazz setting.
    First time I heard them do 'Teen Spirit' was pretty emotional though it's lost some of its appeal for me since then. I love the vocoder version on the album.
    Last time I heard them (last year at Ronnie's) I thought was too meandering, nothing much happening beyond Chris Dave and RG trying to f*** each other up, which is fun for a while but ultimately maybe a little bit self-indugent.
    I enjoyed them when Chris couldn't make it and Josh McKenzie stood in on drums. New favourite drummer.
    They're back in the UK in May (the Experiment). Looking forward to that.
    I like the album. Clearly it's a crossover thing.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Absolutely ride for him.
    Not usually a fan of "jazz rap" or "neo-soul jazz"...but this album definelty has something going for it that i find intriguing.

• trzakhstantrzakhstan IA 198 Posts
    The album is better than the list of collaborators on the tracks.