Soul Strut 100: #95 - People Under the Stairs - Question in the Form of an Answer

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited March 2012 in The Soul Strut 100
I will slowly be unveiling the Top 100 Soul Strut Related Records as Voted by the Strutters Themselves.

#95 - People Under the Stairs - Question in the Form of an Answer

Please discuss your reactions to this record. The thread will be archived later here.

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    I think I preferred Teh Next Step.

Duderonomy said:

Question in the Form of an Answer spawned the faux-rillz fueled backpack hatt

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    RAJ said:
    Duderonomy said:

This record spawned the faux-rillz inspired backpack hatt

Maybe the raps weren't the strong point, but the beats were great. I've picked up various singles from PUTS over the years, always for the strength of the instrumentals.
    Anyway, never really listened to QITFOAA, another surprise addition to the top 100.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Doh, sold my copy a while back. (breakface) But I remember I definitely used to jam this one...

• Should I stay out ofthis thread?

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    The LP is solid. July 3rd and Give Love a Chance are my jams. Although internet always hates on their rhymes the story telling on "Give Love a Chance" speaks to me, plus the Don Blackmon loop? You DJ dudes should understand the plight. Also would much rather listen to this than Tom Scott, just sayin.

• Beats are alright, some even pretty good. The rapping.... not so much.

• EIGHTYEIGHTY 224 Posts
    The album is solid from start to finish and you can see the improvement from The Next Step.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    really dope production. I got a copy of the we'll be there single signed by a slightly faded double k.
    PUTS is still one of the best rap shows I've ever been to.

I bought this album before I knew who Thes was. I got it at Sandbox Automatic in the early 00's. I like it.

• It's all about this song right here:

• Hard to believe this record is 12 years old!
    A little history on this record:

Recorded during Nov. 1998 - Dec. 1999 at 2228 Cambridge Street, Los Angeles, 90006 (two doors down from Captain Puff's release address and a block away from Jimmy Jules release address)

Released officially June, 2000.

I produced the album on an MPC 3000, except for Suite For Creeper, E Business and Zignaflyinblow which were produced by Double K on the SP1200. It was our first release on Om Records, our sophomore album following The Next Step.

We pretty much didn't give a shit about teh raps (beatnut influence). Had an album advance, had started touring the world, had $$, alcohol, etc.
    I was worried about making beats, buying records and getting deeper into diggin teh raerz from all over. This record culminated in us doing a session at BBC Maida Vaile (sp?) and performing Redding, Leeds and a top spot at Glastenbury 2001.

I'm honored we made the list but for the record I wrote in OST for the survey which i feel is a much more worthy record. That said, DocBoy opened the can of worms with that stupid imposter thread which got my Salma Hayek here, and the rest is well... Heatrocks, Biz Mark, etc. Glad to still be here. Just released album 8, Highlighter which is now available with instrumentals on Itunes and at pl70.net

fwiw, I still want to know who was aliasing as me and sending those pms.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    yo thes, you edged out joe quarterman! thats good shit

i'm still looking forward to seeing a live PUTS show here in philly someday.

• EIGHTYEIGHTY 224 Posts
    The new guy puts two and two together and first thought is.......Hell naw, really?!

I'm outta here, lol

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I haven't heard this one. I have a couple, maybe 3 other PUTS LPs which I dig (i'm not really a hip hop dude though).

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Duderonomy said:

The Next Step or OST better be in the SS100 list ! QITFOAA is my least favorite PUTS album.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    PUTS is hurting the underground hiphop scene with this kind of nonsense.

Hahaha -- that old thread was a classique. I may have to give this ish a relisten for old time's sake. I think I still have the backpack that came with the record.

Thanks for the additional context, Thes. Best of luck with the new PUTS record. All you clons should cop.

• JRoot said:
    PUTS is hurting the underground hiphop scene with this kind of nonsense.

I think I still have the backpack that came with the record.

lol.
    It warms my heart that at the time, two 20 year old kids from LA were unknowingly creating so much angst on the interwebz.

Faux never did like me on here. :weird:

• EIGHTYEIGHTY 224 Posts
    Ok, I gotta ask. Who is Faux Rillz?

• Duderonomy said:
    QITFOAA is my least favorite PUTS album.

mine too.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    definitely a big favorite of mine in my teenage years growing up.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    This is better than Hathaway?

batmon said:

Should we demand a recount?

RAJ said:
    batmon said:

Should we demand a recount?

Nah, we can wait till the list is done and then the real debate starts.

• PUTS rekkids are great, but really OST or Stepfather should show up much closer to #1 if you're going to include this one. Either way, good to see PUTS represented (backpack (wetarded term) love or not).

mrboogieman88 said:
    OST or Stepfather should show up much closer to #1 if you're going to include this one.).

No wonder this shit is askew.

• mateomateo 163 Posts
    RAJ said:
    I got it at Sandbox Automatic in the early 00's. I like it.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    batmon said:

I think this is why this Soulstrut 100 is so dope. Completely subjective and really shows the demographic and audience of this board.

• SpacechoSpacecho 176 Posts
    batmon said:

This was my immediate reaction too, but this list is more about Soul Strut-centricty/relevance than a flat out Top 100 records ever.

I'd love to know how many votes these records received.