Soul Strut 100: #99 Sir Joe Quarterman & Free Soul

2»

Comments

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    never seen an OG, been hoping it turns up since i learned about it (and copped the (loved) reish from DGA) in '98. agreed, a cornerstone, good all the way thru funk LP.

found the GSF 45's like 15 times each, have multiples. just cant find the LP.

i put it in same category of "funk that never turns up" as Damn Sam + Soul Congregation, har you, turner bros. Records everyone knows about + loves but OGs never seem to appear.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    Otis_Funkmeyer said:
    Proud reissue owner! And some 45s.

it never ever pops up in the field!

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    I've never owned this, but my old roommate has one. I'm pretty sure he got it, along with many other amazing finds, at Logos in Santa Cruz. No way it was more than $5.

He moved to LA for a bit and then when he came back to the Bay, his entire Uhaul, with everything he and his wife owned, including his 4,000 or so records, was stolen. A few weeks went by and after some feverish searching, the majority of the collection, including that record was found at Amoeba while some junky tried to sell everything.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    karlophone said:
    never seen an OG, been hoping it turns up since i learned about it (and copped the (loved) reish from DGA) in '98. agreed, a cornerstone, good all the way thru funk LP.

found the GSF 45's like 15 times each, have multiples. just cant find the LP.

i put it in same category of "funk that never turns up" as Damn Sam + Soul Congregation, har you, turner bros. Records everyone knows about + loves but OGs never seem to appear.

I can understand why Damn Sam and all those other cats never turn up. These were small, private-press jobs that barely made it around the block, let alone across the country.

But "I Got So Much Trouble In My Mind" was a big hit single on a short-lived major label, GSF Records. You always see Free The Black Man's Chains (a "black rock opera" by the Afro American Ensemble). Their Lloyd Price elpee always turns up. I never see Skull Snaps, but then again I never expect to; what was their hit? But even though Joe Q. had his moment in the spotlight, it's almost like his GSF elpee never existed.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    I had the pleasure of watching him and the band play live down the street from me a few years ago.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Duderonomy said:

:feelin_it:

Stezo freaked this shit

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    Obi raer

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I found this several years ago on a road trip to Sacramento. Couldn't believe that I had come across a copy. The hitch was that there was no price tag on it. Went up to the counter very worried about that. They looked at it, didn't know what to price it as either, then they tried googling it. I thought I was going to croak. Luckily, they couldn't find a copy so they said $25. I said YES please!

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:
    tripledouble said:

always surprised me that label execs would let it slide through with those lo-fi hand drawings

maybe they were encouraged by the success of CSNY "So Far" and Sir Douglas Quintet "1+1" etc

I always mix up this record with the Sir Douglas Quintet when out and about, such a fucking let down when I think I have finally come up!

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    Garcia_Vega said:
    SoulOnIce said:
    tripledouble said:

always surprised me that label execs would let it slide through with those lo-fi hand drawings

maybe they were encouraged by the success of CSNY "So Far" and Sir Douglas Quintet "1+1" etc

I always mix up this record with the Sir Douglas Quintet when out and about, such a fucking let down when I think I have finally come up!

if the Sir Douglas LP came out first, is it possible that Sir Joe was goofing on that cover when he made his? given the name similarity etc?

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Duderonomy said:

:feelin_it:

I have sampled that opening stab so many times.

• SoulpowerSoulpower 204 Posts
    There's a neat little story behind the artwork for this album. Lloyd Price was a friend of Joe's and when he first heard the 45 of "So much trouble," released on D.C.'s local Mantis Records, he immediately signed Joe for a one-album release on GSF.
    Lloyd asked Joe for some ideas for the cover artwork. Joe was in his car with one of his kids, and together he made a sketch of what he envisioned the cover to look like. He then submitted his sketch to the art director of GSF, hoping that he'd use it as inspiration to do something nice.
    Weeks later, when the record was released, Joe was shocked to see that the art director had used his sketch unaltered. He was told that the art director liked it as it was - but my guess is that he was simply too lazy and not too enthusiastic about the album, which is why he just used what he got from Joe. At the time, Joe wasn't really happy about it - but today, he's proud of the cover because it is his own work and it's quite different.

On a different note, Japan's Shout! Records (home of Osaka Monaurail) will re-release this album with the addition of some previously unreleased bonus tracks, including an original demo version of "So much trouble." The long album version that everyone's familiar with is actually two different versions spliced together. You can hear a slight editing split before P.2 starts with the guitar solo.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Soulpower said:
    There's a neat little story behind the artwork for this album. Lloyd Price was a friend of Joe's and when he first heard the 45 of "So much trouble," released on D.C.'s local Mantis Records, he immediately signed Joe for a one-album release on GSF.
    Lloyd asked Joe for some ideas for the cover artwork. Joe was in his car with one of his kids, and together he made a sketch of what he envisioned the cover to look like. He then submitted his sketch to the art director of GSF, hoping that he'd use it as inspiration to do something nice.
    Weeks later, when the record was released, Joe was shocked to see that the art director had used his sketch unaltered. He was told that the art director liked it as it was - but my guess is that he was simply too lazy and not too enthusiastic about the album, which is why he just used what he got from Joe. At the time, Joe wasn't really happy about it - but today, he's proud of the cover because it is his own work and it's quite different.

On a different note, Japan's Shout! Records (home of Osaka Monaurail) will re-release this album with the addition of some previously unreleased bonus tracks, including an original demo version of "So much trouble." The long album version that everyone's familiar with is actually two different versions spliced together. You can hear a slight editing split before P.2 starts with the guitar solo.

thanks for the mucho

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Man, I would be PO'd if someone took my doodle brainstorm and threw it back in my face by using it as the final product. So Much Trouble on my Mind.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Attached files

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    Great LP, it also got a UK release too. I personally find it a more solid affair then the Skullsnaps LP!

• This album is a classic that needs to be out there in the public more. Not a bad track on the whole album. A dude that used to work at Princeton Record Exchange put me on to this album years ago. Been in heavy rotation with me ever since.

• I dunno, I was really excited to get this home at the time when I found it, but truth it never really gets play. Still got the thing too after all this time. Trades anyone?

• ROD1ROD1 26 Posts