@DBCooper. Wangs, plaese to speak on it. (Superbowl Snacks-rel)

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited January 2012 in Strut Central
I ain't talkin bout Oliver

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    I ain't talkin bout Oliver

oh snaps.

How's next fatherhood?

• all the cliches that they say are true. Changes your life, you learn so much about yourself and what love/life means, etc etc etc

But I don't know how people find time to do stuff like be creative or even just engage in a hobby beyond their basic 9-5... I'm blessed to have a somewhat flexible schedule, but I've had to really cut back on some of my pet projects. Getting used to 20-30 minute impromptu windows to write/research/make music/relax. I'm responsible for the 3am feeding and that shit is brutal. And when I am wide awake at 5am, I'm rarely in the condition to focus on anything beyond not waking mom and baby. But yeah, she is rad.

Also, NYC parenthood with its requisite school jockeying, nursery waitlists, and (of course) price inflation for basic goods and services is grueling, to say the least.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    This or that or nothing...

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    YES. As you know, I spent most Sundays this fall working on my wang stylings. I definitely put on a few pounds as a result, but perfected my technique.

The key is to pan-fry them bacon-style first and render out much of the fat before baking them. If you just pop them in the oven, you get that flaccid fat layer going on that's pretty nasty. Then you lose a lot of whatever coating you're working with when you peel it off. Trim off the tips, separate into individual pieces, then place them fatty side down in a well-oiled pan. Bring the heat up to 3/4 and cover (the oil will spit pretty heavily at that heat) and let them go until you get a well-rendered golden brown on the fat pad.

Then put them on a foil-covered baking sheet and bake at 350 for about 30-40 minutes. If you're doing a dry rub, coat them before baking. If you're rocking hot sauce or a glaze, pull them out 30 minutes in, toss them in your sauce, then pop them back in for 5-10 minutes to set the glaze. For hot sauce or something thin like maple syrup, you may want to double glaze, pulling them out after 5 minutes, retossing in sauce, then putting them back in to glaze again.

You'll end up with wangs that are still moist, but reduced in size with most of the excess fat rendered out, so you can eat them whole minus the bones.

My favorite flavor combo:

Maple BBQ Wangs

Dry rub:

Garlic powder (2 parts)
    Onion powder (2 parts)
    Chili powder (2 parts)
    Cumin (2 parts)
    Smoked paprika (2 parts)
    Thyme (2 parts)
    Black pepper (2 parts)
    Salt (1 part)

Then double glaze with maple syrup. Amazing.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    :Hi:

• Jonny_Paycheck said:

But I don't know how people find time to do stuff like be creative or even just engage in a hobby beyond their basic 9-5... I'm blessed to have a somewhat flexible schedule, but I've had to really cut back on some of my pet projects. Getting used to 20-30 minute impromptu windows to write/research/make music/relax. I'm responsible for the 3am feeding and that shit is brutal. And when I am wide awake at 5am, I'm rarely in the condition to focus on anything beyond not waking mom and baby. But yeah, she is rad.

My two favorite times of the day are hanging out with my daughter when she wakes up and having a couple hours to myself when she goes to sleep. I kick myself for all the time I wasted doing bullshit before she was born. I don't take free time for granted anymore.

I use a spicy dry rub on my wings and smoke them with cherry and hickory until they fall apart. So good.

• CousinLarry said:
    having a couple hours to myself when she goes to sleep.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

in my house, those couple hours are.... "so, can we go over these bills?" "can you show me how to use the flickr account?" "can you clean the bathroom?"

And my wife doesn't even like chicken wings so I'm not sure why I started this thread!

:freeway:

• cadeauxcadeaux 208 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    CousinLarry said:
    having a couple hours to myself when she goes to sleep.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

in my house, those couple hours are.... "so, can we go over these bills?" "can you show me how to use the flickr account?" "can you clean the bathroom?"

And my wife doesn't even like chicken wings so I'm not sure why I started this thread!

:freeway:

I??m sooo totally feeling you. When our daughter finally sleep, GF wants to talk about re-decorating our appartment for three weeks now. "Couples Quality Time" deserves its own thread

• Hell with quality time... I just wanna surf the internet in my underwear while halfheartedly chopping up a beat I'll never finish!

Divorce is the answer.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    My kids are 5 and 7 and I'm just starting to get my life back. It gets better??? but damn??? the early years are rough!

The worst stage is when they just start walking. They fall down stairs, run into the kitchen at restaurants, etc. Super nerve racking.

• Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Hell with quality time... I just wanna surf the internet in my underwear while halfheartedly chopping up a beat I'll never finish!

So this. Oh my god... Shit is just relentless.

There's definitely a couple things around the house that's slipped through the cracks while she's been home on maternity leave, and that is very out of character for my wife. I finally just said, "have you just been staring at her for the last three months?" and she looked back dead seriously and said, "Yup. Pretty much."

• Of course Cooper's got the wing game on lock, and his buffalo wing style mac and cheese cribbed from the food channel is off the charts too. But here's another take that works really well.

Peep oven buffalo wing science: http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/02/the-best-baked-buffalo-chicken-wings-in-oven-not-fried-appetizers.html

If you don't want to read all that and just want the recipe: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/02/the-best-buffalo-wings-oven-fried-wings-recipe.html?ref=gameday

More wing recipes, I'm sort of in love with serious eats: http://www.seriouseats.com/game-day-wings-recipes/?ref=gameday

• gareth said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Hell with quality time... I just wanna surf the internet in my underwear while halfheartedly chopping up a beat I'll never finish!

So this. Oh my god... Shit is just relentless.

There's definitely a couple things around the house that's slipped through the cracks while she's been home on maternity leave, and that is very out of character for my wife. I finally just said, "have you just been staring at her for the last three months?" and she looked back dead seriously and said, "Yup. Pretty much."

hahaha, Shit is way harder at the beginning, but it never really lets up. You have to watch them constantly. I was doing the dishes the other day my daughter was playing behind me. I turn around and she had climbed up and was standing in her highchair with this shit eating grin. My wife was sick all weekend with a nasty stomach bug so I was on my own. The kid wore me the fuck out.

• She's started rolling over on her own early- front to back, and back to front. I mean, yay for your motor skill developments, little girl, but that is definitely not helping on the "let me just leave you on your playmate for 10 minutes," front.

• DB_Cooper said:

they get kind of crunchy like a candy shell? sounds kind of serious.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    I can't even play a record, because as soon as it goes on, Everett has to see the record spin around and cries (and I mean weeps and moans in the biblical style - knashing of teeth rending of garments) until I pick him up so he can see. Then he wants to touch the record and of course press the button that makes the light pop up on the 1200.

I can not wait, CAN NOT WAIT, to have a house with actual different rooms with actual doors on them and even different floors. My son gets up at 7:15 starts talking at us from his crib at the foot of our bed "mommy, mommy, mommy, mommy, mommy ....... daddy, daddy" some times he reaches through the crib and grabs our feet if they are close enough. And then he proceeds to go bonkers for the remainder of the day, smashing things with his tennis racket, throwing anything and everything across the room accompanied by an "Ohhh". Squezzing himself between the couch and the wall, pulling all his diapers out of the holder and stuffing them in the folding table, climbing up chairs, tables, bookcases, the bed, his crib, the credenza, hitting the tv with the remote, turning off the cable box when hes not interested in what you want to watch and crying for "Cheer-O", juice, bubbles, crackers, etc.

• So glad cozy corner (real BBQ heads that have been to Memphis know the deal) decided to open on Sundays...therefore my Super Bowl snacks will feature the greatest rib tips in the world...fuck a wang.

On the kid tip, my wife and I aren't having any. But I recently gave up the detached room, which I used as my record room/ place for my shit to my wife and we turned it into her sewing room/place for her shit and she has been so happy, actually suggesting a Frida Khalo/Diego Rivera situation for us... apparently they had two houses joined by a bridge/bedroom. That way she can have her place with girly shit and I can have my dark wood and leather lair. Sounds good to me...time to do the shit you wanna do makes one a happier person.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    gareth said:
    She's started rolling over on her own early- front to back, and back to front. I mean, yay for your motor skill developments, little girl, but that is definitely not helping on the "let me just leave you on your playmate for 10 minutes," front.

So much easier when they stay where you put them. Once they start walking its over.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    YES. As you know, I spent most Sundays this fall working on my wang stylings. I definitely put on a few pounds as a result, but perfected my technique.

The key is to pan-fry them bacon-style first and render out much of the fat before baking them. If you just pop them in the oven, you get that flaccid fat layer going on that's pretty nasty. Then you lose a lot of whatever coating you're working with when you peel it off. Trim off the tips, separate into individual pieces, then place them fatty side down in a well-oiled pan. Bring the heat up to 3/4 and cover (the oil will spit pretty heavily at that heat) and let them go until you get a well-rendered golden brown on the fat pad.

Then put them on a foil-covered baking sheet and bake at 350 for about 30-40 minutes. If you're doing a dry rub, coat them before baking. If you're rocking hot sauce or a glaze, pull them out 30 minutes in, toss them in your sauce, then pop them back in for 5-10 minutes to set the glaze. For hot sauce or something thin like maple syrup, you may want to double glaze, pulling them out after 5 minutes, retossing in sauce, then putting them back in to glaze again.

You'll end up with wangs that are still moist, but reduced in size with most of the excess fat rendered out, so you can eat them whole minus the bones.

This sounds like a pretty good city method (that is, if you have no where to set up a turkey fryer).

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Soulstrut dads, I'm going to be a dad for the first time. Wife is expecting in July, and I'm a bit freaked out. Any good advice you can pass onto this rookie would be greatly appreciated.

Kindly,
    parallax

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    add alchohol to the Franks Sauce

• i love wings but this thread is terrifying.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    sabadabada said:
    I can't even play a record, because as soon as it goes on, Everett has to see the record spin around and cries (and I mean weeps and moans in the biblical style - knashing of teeth rending of garments) until I pick him up so he can see. Then he wants to touch the record and of course press the button that makes the light pop up on the 1200.

I can not wait, CAN NOT WAIT, to have a house with actual different rooms with actual doors on them and even different floors. My son gets up at 7:15 starts talking at us from his crib at the foot of our bed "mommy, mommy, mommy, mommy, mommy ....... daddy, daddy" some times he reaches through the crib and grabs our feet if they are close enough. And then he proceeds to go bonkers for the remainder of the day, smashing things with his tennis racket, throwing anything and everything across the room accompanied by an "Ohhh". Squezzing himself between the couch and the wall, pulling all his diapers out of the holder and stuffing them in the folding table, climbing up chairs, tables, bookcases, the bed, his crib, the credenza, hitting the tv with the remote, turning off the cable box when hes not interested in what you want to watch and crying for "Cheer-O", juice, bubbles, crackers, etc.

I got one like this and them a new one arrived mid december. So i can assure the Strut that having one is a cake walk. Having two does mean double the effort...

That said, having kids is, ofcourse, wonderful. And i presume i'll have my life back in 18+ years.

• leon said:
    sabadabada said:

I got one like this and them a new one arrived mid december. So i can assure the Strut that having one is a cake walk. Having two does mean double the effort...

My daughter went through that stage where she just wanted to touch the dials. Now she just wants music on all the time. She gets mad during the breaks between songs because she wants to hear music constantly. She loves to dance too. Sometimes when all the stars align, she will just sit on the couch with me and listen to a couple of songs.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    herbacios tweed said:
    DB_Cooper said:

they get kind of crunchy like a candy shell? sounds kind of serious.

No, they stay moist and sticky, but it evaporates a lot of the water out of the syrup so it stays in place. Maple syrup is a good bit thinner than say, honey, where you'd only have to glaze it once. A candy coating would be crazy. I'd probably lose a filling.

^^^this is why we're sticking with one. It's hard but rewarding, blah blah blah but the idea of trying to do it all over again with a child already in the house?

Yeeks.

I think one benefit of there being more stay-at-home dads has been the realization of the tremendous amount of shit people (men and women alike) just expect moms to handle. Looking back, I wish I had a better attitude when I was at home with my newborn but it's one of those "you don't know how hard it's going to be until you do it." Which, I suppose, would make having the second one easier. But who are we fooling?

On the wang tip (not myself): tebasaki wings are that Japanese crack. http://www.nic-nagoya.or.jp/en/dailyliving/recipes/tebasaki.htm

vintageinfants said:
    i love wings but this thread is terrifying.

As JP said, all the cliches are true about how hard/wonderful it all is.

I'll say this much: I've never, ever been this consistently amused by another person as consistently as I am by my daughter. That's awesome.