Pacific Jazz label / west coast style

RishanRishan 454 Posts
edited December 2011 in Strut Central
just got the Curtis Amy and Dupree Bolton lp 'Katanga!' and it's absolutely superb. also really enjoy the Kenny Dorham and Jackie McLean lp 'Inta Something'. don't know much about west coast jazz though, or the Pacific Jazz label. anything you recommend that i should not be without? i've got a few John Handy records, some Harold Land, probably quite a few others that i can't remember right now. and i've been steered in the direction of Curtis Counce and Elmo Hope, but not checked them out yet. trying to expand my tastes from Blue Note, hard bop and Coltrane!

Comments

• I've been collecting Pacific Jazz 10"s for a while. The Mulligan and Baker 10" are a must. Most of the material can be found reissued on LP or CD.

• Art Pepper, particularly "Meets The Rhythm Section" but virtually any of his records will do.

I have a soft spot for the Jimmy Giuffres on Atlantic.

The Bud Shank records with his piano-less quintets.

Lee Konitz.

Warne Marsh.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts

Top left is excellent. Other three are favs too.

• esskayesskay 221 Posts
    Hampton Hawes
    Lenny McBrowne & The Four Souls
    Shorty Rogers & The Giants

All are good to start with!

• esskayesskay 221 Posts
    Another great one which is a tough pull is Roy Ayers-"West Coast Vibes" on UA-his first album as leader.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Chet Baker was a poster-boy for the label but the boy could play and if you can dig his "Cold" style, his vocal stuff is also worth checking. Take your pick:

http://www.jazzdisco.org/chet-baker/discography/

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    I like Gerald Wilson.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    much appreciation. knew i could rely on the usual suspects

• This one's a great album:

And I really enjoy this one too: