BOOKSTRUT

SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
edited December 2011 in Strut Central
This thread is dedicated to the fact that I aint got no cable TV no mo.

Just finished 1Q84..

Thought I would be into this one, because I dug Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World. Except Murakami really flubbed the end of this book.. Plus the Cult wasn't hardcore enough for me.. I really wanted to read about some Heaven's Gate / Travolta / Father Yod / Tom Cruise level shit, but this just flamed out into a bullshit love story with little people, and all the other bullshit that makes Murakami's books boring.

This is maybe the best book I've read in a long time. Therapeautic healing, lucid dreaming and creativity lessons Jodorowsky style.

JAY-Z: Decoded

This book was a quick read.. I guess the more Jay-Z explains about his life it makes him seem pretty damned normal. Aye? I still don't get his affinity for Chris Martin, Bono or Memphis Bleek, but hey it's the JIGGA MAN!! JIIIGGGAAAA!!!!

Honestly I've read all of this dudes books, but I think he started falling off around Haunted... That book was sorta interesting. Snuff was comedy, Pygmy was a good concept, but the books just weren't all that memorable. I gotta give it up to Chuck though.. Looking at other Authors in comparison to him makes everybody look SOFT, and really just uninteresting.

I'm in the middle of Damned now.. So far it seems that Chucky's picking up the pace again, but we'll see how this one ends.

Whachyall readin?

- spidey

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Best recent book was The Immortal Life Of Henrieta Lacks.
    I can't recommend it enough.

I am finishing up Inside Of A Dog.
    Good dog info, but not a well structured book.

For 3rd-6th graders I just read 2 Dead Guy Spy books.

Recommended for the kids.

• I'm really enjoying this at the moment.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Stupid jpegs are not working for me right now.

Anyway, I'm re-reading Tom Ricks' Fiasco book about the Iraq war. Haven't picked it up since I first read it when it came out in 2006.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    coldcuts said:
    I'm really enjoying this at the moment.

YES! This was a great read. J-zone is that dude.

• I just finished Ready Player one, by Ernie Cline. Amazing book. Filled with 80's nerd trivia. Very funny and well written book.

Then I read Postmortem by Drew Magary, which has a great premise (man invents cure for aging, this messes up the whole world) but was a little dissapointing in the end.

Just started Before I go to sleep by S Watson. About 20% in, and I have to say the best thriller esque book I've read in ages. It's memento, but weirder....

Wanna get the Jzone book as well, as it looks funny as hell. And Chad Kultgen has a new book out, I like him a lot.

I've now officially stopped buying Chuck Palahiuk books. I have all his books leading up to that and the man can be a genius, but goddamn Tell-All was horrible, Haunted wasn't all that, even Diary was slipping already. Although Pygmy was amazing. I think I'm just over him a little.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Right now I am reading this:

It's an oral history of the first 10 or so years of MTV. Entertaining stuff.

I scored an advance copy of this, which is next on deck. Looking forward to it.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    After watching Game of Thrones last year on teh HBO, I've been meaning to read the books, which I started a couple of weeks ago. Now on page 791 of the fourth book. Great stuff, if you're into that sort of thing.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    If you like humor/crime/mystery novels then Tim Dorsey is a sure bet. Of all the Florida crime writters he is by far the funniest. The main character in his novels, Serge A. Storms, is one of the funniest and brilliant characters I've ever read. If you like to laugh I would start with "Florida Roadkill" and go from there.

Who are some other crime writters? Leonard (the king), Hiaason, Ellroy...any suggestions along these lines is greatly appreciated.

Also, I know some of you are into pulp novels. Any suggestions along those lines?

JATX said:
    If you like humor/crime/mystery novels then Tim Dorsey is a sure bet. Of all the Florida crime writters he is by far the funniest. The main character in his novels, Serge A. Storms, is one of the funniest and brilliant characters I've ever read. If you like to laugh I would start with "Florida Roadkill" and go from there.

Who are some other crime writters? Leonard (the king), Hiaason, Ellroy...any suggestions along these lines is greatly appreciated.

Also, I know some of you are into pulp novels. Any suggestions along those lines?

Raymond Chandler
    James M. Cain
    John D. Macdonald (heavy Florida connection)
    Dashiell Hammett

and a gang of others, but those are good to start with.

• DB_Cooper said:
    JATX said:

John D. Macdonald (heavy Florida connection)

One of my all-time favorites.

b/w

Donald Westlake ( aka Richard Stark)

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

• leonleon 883 Posts

Like it so far...

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Since emigrating to Australia I have been trawling second hand book shops on a quest to find early Australian literature.

This was a great read:

As have been the short stories of Henry Lawson.

I found some mid - 50s travel diaries by Frank Clune that have been charming and entertaining to say the least. plus I am finally finishing this wee puppy up after years of procrastination:

Obviously, it does not disappoint.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    nzshadow said:
    Since emigrating to Australia I have been trawling second hand book shops on a quest to find early Australian literature.

Welcome!

I'm reading this right now. Really well written accounts of some interesting characters that helped shape the future of law, order and civil rights in NYC.

Recently finished this text. Its fairly dense, but also conjures up some great imagery of what life would have been like on the bounty and in the pacific during the age of exploration. I get the feeling a very impressive amount of research was done to complete this book.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts

Just finished the four volumes of Mercy of a rude stream - absolutely brilliant

and just started this - so far its pretty crap

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Just started this

and...as expected, i needed to add some ligher fare to break up the monotony, so ive been buring thru this pretty quickly and i like it

Also, finished this a few weeks ago....

and while i cant say that i really liked it too much, it had "SOULSTRUT BOOK CLUB" written all over it.
    Im sure i missed a thread on it when it came out.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    art of fielding

• DB_Cooper said:
    After watching Game of Thrones last year on teh HBO, I've been meaning to read the books, which I started a couple of weeks ago. Now on page 791 of the fourth book. Great stuff, if you're into that sort of thing.

I am finishing Dance with Dragons, and I don't want it to end because then there won't be one for me to read after it yet.

I'd like to read two of the books mentioned above, Ready Player One and Postmortem, and also the Colston Whithed zombie book.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    JATX said:

Derek Raymond "I was Dora Suarez" & "He died with his eye open"

Everything by James Sallis.

Walter Mosley, especially the Easy Rawlins series.

All the Nick Stephanos books by G. Pelecanos.

I have to admit that I'm a big sucker for James Lee Burke's Dave Robicheaux novels. They are bestsellers and he more or less writes the same book again and again but they're all so goddamn satisfying and so much fun to read. When the last installment came out, I rented a cabin in New Iberia right on Bayou Teche for 5 days to read the book and ate and drank at the same places as the characters in the book, hahaha I'm not kidding!

On the non-crime front, the Border Trilogy by Cormac McCarthy was the best thing I read in 2011 and I'm just about to get started with Blood Meridian.

• GenePontecorvo said:
    I am finishing Dance with Dragons, and I don't want it to end because then there won't be one for me to read after it yet..

I'm there to: now we have to wait another 5 years btwn books. I'm always worried w/ a series that the author's gonna kick it before they finish their opus.

On the Aussie tip my brother in-law forgot this at my place and I picked it up and had a great time reading it:

maybe I'll give it to him for X-mas.

Just finished Let The Great World Spin by Colum McCann. Has some seriously good writing, with a couple of dud chapters, but totally recommended.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Nice recommendations everybody.. Lots of stuff to dig into this month!

Frank said:
    On the non-crime front, the Border Trilogy by Cormac McCarthy was the best thing I read in 2011 and I'm just about to get started with Blood Meridian.

B M!! I'm just starting on that one too.. Local hipster cafe has a nice book swap that I lucked out on.

- spidey

• SPlDEY said:
    Nice recommendations everybody.. Lots of stuff to dig into this month!

Frank said:

B M!! I'm just starting on that one too.. Local hipster cafe has a nice book swap that I lucked out on.

- spidey

I've read all of his books, and give Suttree my absolute highest possible recommendation.

• Fusk it, I'm up late writing interview questions and sipping whiskey, and basically looking for a way to procrastinate... so, here's my favorite paragraph in all of literature, from near the end of Suttree, which I shared on here a few years ago:

"He lifted a hand and turned and went on. He had divested himself of the little cloaked godlet and his other amulets in a place where they would not be found in his lifetime and he'd taken for talisman the simple human heart within him. Walking down the little street for the last time he felt everything fall away from him. Until there was nothing left for him to shed. It was all gone. No trail, no track. The spoor petered out down there on Front Street where things he'd been lay like paper shadows, a few here, they thin out. After that nothing. A few rumors. Idle word on the wind. Old news years in traveling that you could not put stock in."

McCarthy gets a lot of plaudits, and he deserves every one.

I just finished, "The Universal Baseball Association, J. Henry Waugh Proprietor," by Robert Coover, which I loved. Just started, "1861," by Adam Goodheart on the first year of The Civil War, as I'm sure you surmised.

Back to the questions and whiskey.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Just finished Neal Stephenson's latest, "REAMDE." Loved it. That's two in a row, after getting bogged down in that Baroque Cycle thing he did.
    It is his first book based in modern times in a long time, and I guess has the most widespread appeal of any of his stuff. It has internets, PNW settings, terrorists, Russian mobsters. And he's still funny.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Seems like the place to ask...

David Foster Wallace.

I have read a few short stories, one of which haunts me to this day. I got half way through The Pale King before packing it in the wrong box, I must now wait for the container to arrive.

Infinite Jest beckons, but damn that is one hell of an investment. Who's read it?

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts
    really liked 1q84. definitely need to read the last part.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    I started reading this, purely based on the authors name.

Luther Blissett is a multiple-use name, an "open reputation" informally adopted and shared by hundreds of artists and activists all over Europe and the Americas since 1994. The pseudo-name first appeared in Bologna, Italy, in mid-1994, when a number of cultural activists began using it for staging a series of urban and media pranks and to experiment with new forms of authorship and identity. From Bologna the multiple-use name spread to other European cities, such as Rome and London, as well as countries such as Germany, Spain, and Slovenia. Sporadic appearances of Luther Blissett have been also noted in Canada, the United States, and Brazil.

For reasons that remain unknown, the pseudonym was borrowed from a real-life Luther Blissett. Luther Blissett, for those unaware, was a black football player who was bought from Watford FC by AC Milan. Legend has it that a talent scout for the Italian club mistook Blisset for John Barnes, who also played for Watford and went on to have a glittering career at Liverpool. This legend is apparently false. Blissett had a decent spell in Milan, and became a cult figure with the fans.

In December 1999, the Italian activists who had launched the Luther Blissett Project in 1994 decided to discontinue usage of the name by committing symbolic ritual suicide, or seppuku. After authoring the best-selling historic novel Q as "Luther Blissett", five of them went on to found the writers' collective Wu Ming.

The book follows the journey of an Anabaptist radical across Europe in the first half of the 16th century as he joins in various movements and uprisings that come as a result of the Protestant reformation. The book spans 30 years as he is pursued by 'Q' (short for "Qo??let"), a spy for the Roman Catholic Church cardinal Giovanni Pietro Carafa. The main character, who changes many names during the story, first fights in the German Peasants' War beside Thomas M??ntzer, then is in M??nster's siege, during the M??nster Rebellion, and some years later, in Venice.

Shortly after starting this novel, I decided I needed some background info on the reformation, so I began reading this book titled The Reformation In Germany. Illuminating stuff.

LoopDreams said:
    GenePontecorvo said:
    I am finishing Dance with Dragons, and I don't want it to end because then there won't be one for me to read after it yet..

I'm there to: now we have to wait another 5 years btwn books. I'm always worried w/ a series that the author's gonna kick it before they finish their opus.

Yeah, I have that on the nightstand, queued up and ready to go. I am definitely going to be jonesing when I finish it.

gareth said:
    Fusk it, I'm up late writing interview questions and sipping whiskey, and basically looking for a way to procrastinate... so, here's my favorite paragraph in all of literature, from near the end of Suttree, which I shared on here a few years ago:

"He lifted a hand and turned and went on. He had divested himself of the little cloaked godlet and his other amulets in a place where they would not be found in his lifetime and he'd taken for talisman the simple human heart within him. Walking down the little street for the last time he felt everything fall away from him. Until there was nothing left for him to shed. It was all gone. No trail, no track. The spoor petered out down there on Front Street where things he'd been lay like paper shadows, a few here, they thin out. After that nothing. A few rumors. Idle word on the wind. Old news years in traveling that you could not put stock in."

McCarthy gets a lot of plaudits, and he deserves every one.

I just finished, "The Universal Baseball Association, J. Henry Waugh Proprietor," by Robert Coover, which I loved. Just started, "1861," by Adam Goodheart on the first year of The Civil War, as I'm sure you surmised.

Back to the questions and whiskey.

Read All The Pretty Horses a while back and meant to follow up, but got sidetracked. It was excellent. Read The Universal Baseball Association, J. Henry Waugh Proprietor in college for an American Studies course called "Sports in America" and loved it too. And the course wasn't as bullshit as its sounds. Well, not quite as bullshit. It wasn't Organic Chemistry either.