Speakers

kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
edited August 2011 in Strut Central
So, what to do for sound?

We're moving, and I promised the lady that I would downsize from the giant speakers I bought out of the back of a van on my 21st birthday.

So what do y'all like? Not looking to break the bank, don't need some super-surround shit. Just need some noise.

Comments

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Music Direct is having a blow-out on Wharfedales:

http://www.musicdirect.com/m-485-wharfedale.aspx

• leonleon 883 Posts
    You could also check for 2nd hand speakers. Lot of audiophiles out there that change their setup every 5 years or so. Also, good quality vintage speakers are to be found, nice design stuff too, if that's your thing.

• mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
    Yeah- Look into to second hand gear for sure. What's your price range? The Absolute Sound likes the PSB Alpha B1's for $280. I've got some PSB towers that I love. They're a good value company.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    "Paradigm Atoms."
    Small and very effective. Crystal clear.
    Get great stands.
    Get nice gauge speaker wires, don't need monster cable - ripoff.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    I'd check out http://audiogon.com/ for used speakers

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Just found these speakers today at a thrift shop and was wondering if an one knew anything about them. There was no company and no model number, the are about 14" tall the bottom part appears to be a 10" subwoofer and the top looks to be a tweeter, they both work but I'm curious to know more about these, anybody know anything?

UPDATE: Nevermind just found out what they were http://atomicspacejunk.com/retro-electronics/vintage-audio-amplifiers/zenith-circle-of-sound-omnidirectional-space-age-round-vintage-floor-speakers/

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,887 Posts
    Dem shits look crazy.

Do they sound any good, doe?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    Dem shits look crazy.

They sound ok, I'm definitely keeping them and now I'm looking for a good wood panel receiver to match them. Not amazing g speakers but more than happy to own a pair, there are several of the same type on eBay going between $20 - $60 currently (check the link I posted)

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Guzzo said:
    J i m s t e r said:
    Dem shits look crazy.

They sound ok, I'm definitely keeping them and now I'm looking for a good wood panel receiver to match them. Not amazing g speakers but more than happy to own a pair, there are several of the same type on eBay going between $20 - $60 currently (check the link I posted)

You could always change the speaker out. Cool look, might be worth fixing up.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    volumen said:
    Guzzo said:
    J i m s t e r said:
    Dem shits look crazy.

You could always change the speaker out. Cool look, might be worth fixing up.

I got no idea how to do this, is this easy?

• Hey Guzzo,

I got a speaker guy here in L.A. who loves projects like this. Hit me up if you want his info.