Lee Morgan recommendations?

RishanRishan 454 Posts
edited August 2011 in Strut Central
what are his absolute stand out classics? APART from sidewinder, which i think is overrated... from what i have heard, i prefer Freddie Hubbard, Kenny Dorham and Blue Mitchell when it comes to putting albums together. thanks...

Comments

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    ehh the man has mad jawns son. dont know if you would consider these stand out classics but not to slaep

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I'm particularly fond of "Search for the New Land"...not a bum track on it, lots of different moods/styles. Also, there is a budget release on Trip called "A Date with Lee Morgan" that is fire:
    http://muzzicaltrips.blogspot.com/2009/04/pearls-band.html

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,887 Posts
    Live at the Lighthouse. Whole set is smoaking.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    so far 'the gigolo' sounds like a great session.

• Co-sign on "Search for the new land" - great stuff. I also really like "Candy", an earlier and more sparse session.

• J i m s t e r said:
    Live at the Lighthouse. Whole set is smoaking.

Pretty much everything on Blue Note, but I love the Lighthouse set. A little edgier, semi-out and the sax by Benny Maupin is next level.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I think all of the Bluenote sessions up through Cornbread are great--after that, it gets more spotty.

Search for the New Land is also my favorite.

There are some good ones that were inexplicably not released at the time--like Tom Cat.

His two Vee-Jay releases are also good.

And he made major contributions so some Jazz Messengers classics--I was just listening to Indestructable last night, with Morgan and Shorter out front.

I recently revisited his final album (with Billy Harper), and think it stands up as an interesting venture into electric territory.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Hell, I even like his first record - how can you not like a dude with a suit airbrushed on? (Not sure what's going on with the pants, though):

• caramba!

a couple of great tunes on that one... "suicide city", "cunning lee".

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    nice one, this was exactly what i was hoping for. lighthouse, gigolo, new land...the more interesting stuff rather than straight blowing sessions. cheers all!

Jspr said:
    Horseleech said:
    Hell, I even like his first record - how can you not like a dude with a suit airbrushed on? (Not sure what's going on with the pants, though):

Have never seen anybody besides Diz blow a horn like that

Morgan was in Dizzy's big band at the time, and Dizzy had secured a sponsorship for the band from the manufacturer of his trademark horn--guaranteed Morgan did not pay for that one.

Rishan said:
    from what i have heard, i prefer Freddie Hubbard, Kenny Dorham and Blue Mitchell when it comes to putting albums together.

I missed this: no way are any of Blue Mitchell's records seeing Lee Morgan's

• BlastkidBlastkid 240 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    Rishan said:
    from what i have heard, i prefer Freddie Hubbard, Kenny Dorham and Blue Mitchell when it comes to putting albums together.

This one does the trick. It features Blakey and Golson and they even play Blues March, so you can compare it with the Jazz Messengers days easily.

Check it out here:

• bigchalzbigchalz 220 Posts
    neil_something said:
    caramba!

a couple of great tunes on that one... "suicide city", "cunning lee".

cosign on caramba, this is a great album.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Blast Kid said:
    faux_rillz said:
    Rishan said:

This one does the trick. It features Blakey and Golson and they even play Blues March, so you can compare it with the Jazz Messengers days easily.

This is a great record. I was always a little underwhelmed by his Blue Note Lps, but his Riverside output is top-notch.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    'the thing to do' is an excellent blue note date. cosign the riverside stuff.