Return of D.O.C?

waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
edited August 2011 in Strut Central
In the late 1980s, D.O.C. was recruited by Dr. Dre to Southern California from his childhood home of Dallas. Shortly thereafter, the Texas-bred wunderkind helped bring gangsta rap to the mainstream, ghostwriting large portions of the biggest West Coast classics, starting with Straight Outta Compton. He gave voice to the volatile yet comedic character of Eazy-E and helped define the personas of Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg. The MCs who used his words admired not just his rhymes but his ability to mold ideas and fragments into memorable songs. "He showed me how to take the greatness out of the words and combine that into a verse, a hook, a bridge," Snoop recently told English radio personality Tim Westwood.

D.O.C.'s 1989 solo debut, No One Can Do It Better, was expected to make him a star like his collaborators. Featuring his nimble, aggressive yet warm chops, it's considered one of the best rap debuts of all time, and Jay-Z cites it as a profound influence. But while driving home drunk and high from a video shoot for a song from the album, D.O.C. fell asleep and spun out; he was thrown out of the back window before the car slammed into a tree. "I had so much in my system that they couldn't sedate me," he recalls over a late dinner at Sherman Oaks restaurant Senor Fred. He fought the medics when they tried to insert a breathing tube, causing it to scar his larynx. As a result, he speaks in what sounds like a stage whisper, almost like he's talking through a smoker's voice box.

http://www.laweekly.com/2011-08-04/music/legendary-ghostwriter-d-o-c-is-back-but-can-he-save-detox/

Comments