What are the best Too Short albums?

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited April 2005 in Music Talk
Seeing as Short Dog is one of those legendary rappers that I've never been able to get into (don't get all huffy, Yay Areans- I'm trying to expand my mind here), I feel that it's my duty to really check out all of his best material and see if maybe I just missed something. So y'all Too Short fans, plaese let a brotha know what the classic lps are and I'll get my soulseek on asap. This is probably gonna end up as a failed experiment, just as my quest to "find" 2Pac was, but I feel obligated to at least attempt to understand why Short is considered one of the GOAT by legions of folls everywhere.Again, I just KNOW somebody's gonna get twisted undergarments over the fact that I don't already kiss the Short Dog ring, but plaese remember- I am trying. And that is all that we can do, isn't it? Now I want the info... pass that shit, batches!

Comments

• DJelV2000DJelV2000 322 Posts
    check out "life is" and "short dog's in the house"

Those are classic, right thurr...

IMO all his shit is pretty good, though, even the later stuff

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Phil,
    The order in which I listed the albums below is the order in which I enjoy listening. The later stuff (Get In Where You Fit In) gets the most play for me. The earlier stuff is great, but it's that Pee Wee + Shorty B instrumentation/Ant Banks production that wins.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I'm really all about Life Is..., Short Dog's In The House, and In The Trunk. All the early stuff is dope but the full albums kind of are more what's up imo. While I heard early cuts I didn't really start listening until Life Is...

Hi

• UMADUMAD 187 Posts

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
    I'm really all about Life Is..., Short Dog's In The House, and In The Trunk. All the early stuff is dope but the full albums kind of are more what's up imo. While I heard early cuts I didn't really start listening until Life Is...

Hi

Is that the one with Freaky Tales? If so I pick that too... I actually like Schooly D better but that's only if I had to choose, cause you know Parkside ah 1-2, and PSK, and Gangsta boogie.... Matter of fact Scratch magazine said that, that was the 1st gangsta rap, Is that true? Well I guess that's off the subject and should be on another post... Sorry I will stay focused next time just add that to Freaky Tales.....

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Is that the one with Freaky Tales?

= Cocktails

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    The Short Dog countdown[/b]

12)can't stay away

11)chase the cat

10)gettin it

9)my favorite word

8)married to the game

7)you nasty

6)shorty the pimp

5)cocktails

4)born to mack

3)life is too short

2)get in where you fit in

1)short dog's in the house

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    Is that the one with Freaky Tales?

= Cocktails

Freaky Tales is from Born to Mack circa 1988.

My favorite 80's $hort cuts:

Playboy $hort
    Dopefiend Beat
    I Ain't Trippin

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    i can't believe no one's mentioned my personal favorite yet:

also:

which was compiled on:

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    A-ight, cool. What about the early tapes and stuff he did back before the Jive record deal? What y'all Yay Area folls know about that? Is that the REAL Short Dog shit or what? I'm tryin' to cop nuthin' but the realness, raw and unstepped on.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts

This is my favorite only because it was my high school anthem and brings back so many memories.

We had a girl we called "Blowjob Becky", she would dance to this song at parties and then. Yeah. She didn't care. Mighty experienced for a 15 year old.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

which was compiled on:

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' 'BOUT RIGHT THERE.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    A-ight, cool. What about the early tapes and stuff he did back before the Jive record deal? What y'all Yay Area folls know about that? Is that the REAL Short Dog shit or what? I'm tryin' to cop nuthin' but the realness, raw and unstepped on.

Hi, Phil,

The stuff on the 75 girls label is not bad - I think I have mp3s. Check me on soulseek if you like. Username kingmob74.

Is that a Jack Kirby shout out in your avatar?

Peace

H

• Is that the one with Freaky Tales?

= Born To Mack[/b]

This was his 'first' album that he slang out of his trunk:

This is the Jive Records version, but a homie of mine had the tape with the yellow cover and skull and crossbones on it.

Pretty much this one, Life Is..., Short Dogs in the House, and Get In Where You Fit In are the classic jawns. Also look for the MC Pooh joints too, the first two are rope-a-dope.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Was "Married To The Game" released on wax?

Thanks

h

• Phil~

I would start with "Life is..." or "Born To MAck". The early og stuff on 75 Girls (which is pre "born to mack" for the most part) is awesome and definitely raw but the production hasn't quite developed the melody and funk that the first few dangerous/jive knockers present. "Short Dog's In The House" is another that would be good to check early on. Anything after "Get In Where You Fit In" may take a little more (or less ) concentration to appreciate for a new listener.

I'm sure you know about the In The Trunk remix with PRimo production, although I dig the OG version more thanks to Ant Banks' funky basslines. Tracks like "I Ain't Trippin', Freaky TaLES (1 OR TWO IT DON'T MATTER), Short But Funky, The Ghetto, Don't Fight The Feelin' etc are a necessity.

My homie Spair made a remix of "Burn Rubber" using a a mid 70's Bar Kays loop, pretty dope stuff although the Lil' John original is pretty devastating yet nice and simple.

"Married To The Game" is unfortunately CD only as far as I know, that album has some fire on it too.

Hope that is helpful, have fun and make sure those subs are rattling the block

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts

The song "Playboy $hort", which I'm pretty certain came out in 85, sets the foundation for all that was to come for Todd Shaw. The beauty of the recent "Burn Rubber" to me is that it takes tha man's style 20 years full circle back to its original starting point.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I'm sure you know about the In The Trunk remix with PRimo production

In my experience, this is the best way to ease people into $hort--particularly east coasters (like myself). The Primo beat is frickin' crazy, and while it's not stereotypically Primo, it at least has a familiar sound, so you can then appreciate the way $hort spills rhymes more.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    "get in where you fit in" has to be Shorts best album. those were some good times out ehre when that album dropped. back when the Lake used to crank evry weekend. the cadillac club, the dragon spot used to crank...even Summer Jam was poppin back then. sideshows used to go on for hours with NO POLICE at all. try that now.

get in...
    life is
    born to mack
    cocktales
    short dogs in the house (props to cube and dj pooh)
    you nasty (big sleeper..'Pimp shit' was the comeback song of the year)

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    This reminds me...

When I was in 9th grade, I had a part time job as a telemarketer. At that job I had become frieds with Ali, a Yemeni kid bout the same age and we would sit there and yap about music and stuff instead of calling and bugging people about money. So after a little while, hommie finds out I had not been checking for Too Short so he decides to make me a mix of too short joints. Let me just say that, having only been in the US less than 2 years, my head was blown with all the talk of pussy, hoes, pimpin and cash. I remember thinking how controversial all that shit way. Needless to say, haven't been the same since.

my question is, why wasnt Too Short on "We're all in the same gang"? they had hammer/357 and DU...
    ?????

• This reminds me...

When I was in 9th grade, I had a part time job as a telemarketer. At that job I had become frieds with Ali, a Yemeni kid bout the same age and we would sit there and yap about music and stuff instead of calling and bugging people about money. So after a little while, hommie finds out I had not been checking for Too Short so he decides to make me a mix of too short joints. Let me just say that, having only been in the US less than 2 years, my head was blown with all the talk of pussy, hoes, pimpin and cash. I remember thinking how controversial all that shit way. Needless to say, haven't been the same since.

I remember riding around Port Arthur, TX with my friend Roy back in 1987 or '88. He put me up on Too Short and it all seemed very, very skanless. But dope.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    I like "Get In Where You Fit In" but I can't really listen to it when I'm rollin with my lady all the time. Too much "bitches and hoes" rappin going on. If I had to estimate, I'd guess Too Short says "bitch" 50 times in an hour easily. Great album anyway... BEEEITCH!

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts

Phil~

I would start with "Life is..." or "Born To MAck". The early og stuff on 75 Girls (which is pre "born to mack" for the most part) is awesome and definitely raw but the production hasn't quite developed the melody and funk that the first few dangerous/jive knockers present. "Short Dog's In The House" is another that would be good to check early on. Anything after "Get In Where You Fit In" may take a little more (or less ) concentration to appreciate for a new listener.

I'm sure you know about the In The Trunk remix with PRimo production, although I dig the OG version more thanks to Ant Banks' funky basslines. Tracks like "I Ain't Trippin', Freaky TaLES (1 OR TWO IT DON'T MATTER), Short But Funky, The Ghetto, Don't Fight The Feelin' etc are a necessity.

My homie Spair made a remix of "Burn Rubber" using a a mid 70's Bar Kays loop, pretty dope stuff although the Lil' John original is pretty devastating yet nice and simple.

"Married To The Game" is unfortunately CD only as far as I know, that album has some fire on it too.

Hope that is helpful, have fun and make sure those subs are rattling the block

Man, I just gotta say, P-Ro is the mole frackin MAN!!!

and don't sleep on "I'm a Playa," man I remember when that came out it was KILLIN the radio out here. E. Trill I was feelin you on how summer jams used to be crackin, I never went 'cause I was too young but was listening on the radio and it sounded like

to me, Too Short just goes with hot weather, you can't bump that shit in the wintertime. Then again, the Sco doesn't really have summers...

• I like "Get In Where You Fit In" but I can't really listen to it when I'm rollin with my lady all the time. Too much "bitches and hoes" rappin going on. If I had to estimate, I'd guess Too Short says "bitch" 50 times in an hour easily. Great album anyway... BEEEITCH!

Then you need to get the radio version of Short Dog's In The House - "Ain't Nothin' But A Word To Me" with Ice Cube is classic!

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    did someone mention that one song he did w/ lil jon on production?

burn rubber?

his first like 4 albums were dope... wasnt feeling cocktails too much but dude is a legend. he's in the guiness book of records on some shit. maybe under, only rapper who raps w/o really rhyming words. i could have swore he rhymed orange w/ ho or bitch. ill confimr this later.

-richard

• did someone mention that one song he did w/ lil jon on production?

YUCK.

I think most East Coasters hated Short when he came out, because his rhyme style wasn't technically amazing or anything. And really, as a rapper he's not that great. So why is it that people love Short so much? I dunno, but I'm one of them. Must just be the personality, sense of humor,... something. Its like sitting there listening to somebody talk shit over a beat.

cus he spoke on some real shit. if you knew about pimpin and playin girls and just game in general, he was the man. no gun talk and all that, dude just stuck to what he knew. gotta respectthat

• cus he spoke on some real shit. if you knew about pimpin and playin girls and just game in general, he was the man. no gun talk and all that, dude just stuck to what he knew. gotta respectthat

Don't know if this $50Grand or Prego talkin', but Prego! Remember that time we went to Justice League and that Latino dude said, "You from Oakland? Hey, is it true that Too Short is a pimp?" Like you went to school with him or something. Then he quoted some Short rhymes with the word "nigga" in them freaked out that you were gonna go off. He was on some "IT'S COOL--I HAVE BLACK FRIENDS!" type shit.

Shorty the Pimp, bridging the cultural divide.

Good times.

kinda like the time when i loc'd up on Luke Skywalker when he tried to put those handcuffs on me when we were about to infiltrate the detention block to rescue Leah. no wait, that was chewbacca.

ha! i think i do remember that night. that used to be the spizzot though. up n down too.