TV Strut (what u watching related)

OkemOkem 4,619 PostsSuper OG
edited May 2011 in Strut Central
I thought I'd start a general TV tread rather than cluttering up the board with more separate tv related threads.

What have you been enjoying on the old goggle-box soulstrut?
-

Game of Thrones


Anyone else gotten into this? I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far. (although I expect it's a little too much AHHHWHITEPEOPLE for some strutters)
For the unfamiliar, it's an HBO series based on George R. Martins' epic fantasy best sellers. It's part LOTR, part Deadwood, part Spatacus. Being HBO its very well made, it looks like your childhood fantasy roleplaying games come to life & it has a pretty solid cast.

It's almost the only thing I look forward to catching each week.

-

The other being Community.

IMO this is the best sitcom going at the moment. It's very funny, incredibly well written, the detail they put in to each episode is impressive. It just seems to have a real vitality about it, whilst others are looking stale and uncreative. (The whole 'lets try a new spin on the The Office' needs to be put to rest already.)

Fun fact The whipping-boy character Starburns, is also a writer for the show.
«134

  Comments


  • Loving Game Of Thrones - can see it building up in lots of different places..the bastard must come back and save some people at some point..

    The Killing - AMC,Nuff said. Also killing it with the suspense each episode.

    Storage Wars - Just like watching the little half-hour of this each week. Doesn't contain douches like Storage Kings or American Pickers.

  • motown67motown67 4,513 PostsSuper OG
    NBA playoffs are number one right now.

    I'm trying to stick with Top Chef Masters but the challenges and chefs are not appealing to me this season.

    Justified on FX is probably tops after basketball right now. Also Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations.

    I check Storage Wars as well, but I don't remember what night it's on. Parking Wars is funny as well. First 48 too.

  • Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,040 Posts
    Been repping reruns of this recenty:


  • debardebar 215 Posts
    The Killing
    Parks & Recreation
    Shameless
    Justified
    Community

    Though, I thought Community last season was way better than this season

  • marwal_bustmarwal_bust 195 Posts
    I clicked this thread to say Game of Thrones, this really pulled me in.

    I usually hate anything fantasy/period/kindoms and all that shit but this just really stands out. At first I felt overwhelmed with trying to stay on top of who is who and all the families, but by ep 3 it is all very easily followed. Highly recommended.

    I have been curious about The Killing and watched the trailer, but then saw people talkinabout 'it is not as great as the original' and I got scared off...

  • InnerSpaceInnerSpace 443 Posts
    I've read the Song and Ice series (at least the books released so far) and it is excellent and I highly recommend it even if you don't like fantasy. Game of Thrones is top on my list and Martin gave his high stamp of approval on the series which is not a common occurrence with these type of remakes.

    I just finished up all 4 seasons of MadMen because I missed it the first time around. Great show. No clear protagonist. It's going to be hard to wait another year for season 5.

  • CosmoCosmo 9,758 PostsClassic
    Unlike a lot of the HBO series that start out with the slow burn and then get outstanding, Game Of Thrones really came out the gate fully swinging. I was hooked by the second episode, and by the 3rd episode I'm convinced that The Dwarf is the best character on television right now. Dude is the illest.

  • BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    getting stuck into The Trip (missed it when it was on telly). its ok.

    i want walking dead season 2

    enjoying americas next top model current season. alexandria is such a b*tch. keep telling my friends to "emote" when taking pictures of them now.

  • CosmoCosmo 9,758 PostsClassic
    Yeah I can't wait for Madmen. That show kind of changed my life in a sense. And for real, Don Draper is perhaps one of the finest characters ever created for small screen.

  • GrandfatherGrandfather 2,302 PostsAlumni
    I'm really into Game of Thrones as well.
    It recently finished up but the second season of Archer was fantastic.
    I've missed the last two episodes of The Killing but I was really into it. I need to catch up.

  • DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,826 PostsSuper OG
    Grandfather said:

    It recently finished up but the second season of Archer was fantastic.

    Archer rules. The cancer drug/rampage episode was redamndickulous. Love Community too. I'm psyched to check out Game of Thrones, but it's going to have to wait. There's no way I'm going from antenna to a $100 cable package just to watch one show.

  • GrandfatherGrandfather 2,302 PostsAlumni
    DB_Cooper said:
    Grandfather said:

    It recently finished up but the second season of Archer was fantastic.

    Archer rules. The cancer drug/rampage episode was redamndickulous. Love Community too. I'm psyched to check out Game of Thrones, but it's going to have to wait. There's no way I'm going from antenna to a $100 cable package just to watch one show.

    I'm thinking of a word, starts with T and ends with orrents.

    Dude, that rampage episode was my favorite as well. Rampaging here Lana

  • DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,826 PostsSuper OG
    Grandfather said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Grandfather said:

    It recently finished up but the second season of Archer was fantastic.

    Archer rules. The cancer drug/rampage episode was redamndickulous. Love Community too. I'm psyched to check out Game of Thrones, but it's going to have to wait. There's no way I'm going from antenna to a $100 cable package just to watch one show.

    I'm thinking of a word, starts with T and ends with orrents.

    Dude, that rampage episode was my favorite as well. Rampaging here Lana

    I suck at orrent-tays. I think I'm doing it wrong.

  • OkemOkem 4,619 PostsSuper OG
    DB_Cooper said:
    Grandfather said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Grandfather said:

    It recently finished up but the second season of Archer was fantastic.

    Archer rules. The cancer drug/rampage episode was redamndickulous. Love Community too. I'm psyched to check out Game of Thrones, but it's going to have to wait. There's no way I'm going from antenna to a $100 cable package just to watch one show.

    I'm thinking of a word, starts with T and ends with orrents.

    Dude, that rampage episode was my favorite as well. Rampaging here Lana

    I suck at orrent-tays. I think I'm doing it wrong.
    If you can't manage a torrent most stuff if available for direct download these days. cough

  • DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,826 PostsSuper OG
    Okem said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Grandfather said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Grandfather said:

    It recently finished up but the second season of Archer was fantastic.

    Archer rules. The cancer drug/rampage episode was redamndickulous. Love Community too. I'm psyched to check out Game of Thrones, but it's going to have to wait. There's no way I'm going from antenna to a $100 cable package just to watch one show.

    I'm thinking of a word, starts with T and ends with orrents.

    Dude, that rampage episode was my favorite as well. Rampaging here Lana

    I suck at orrent-tays. I think I'm doing it wrong.
    If you can't manage a torrent most stuff if available for direct download these days. cough

    You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

  • FrankFrank 2,354 Posts
    Cosmo said:
    Yeah I can't wait for Madmen. That show kind of changed my life in a sense. And for real, Don Draper is perhaps one of the finest characters ever created for small screen.

    I agree completely on this.

    I don't watch TV but wait for the DVD release of the respective season and I can't remember ever having anticipated any DVD set as much as the last season of Mad Men. Watching a full season on one weekend is so fun and so rewarding. A bit of a challenge though, especially since I have developed the habit of having a drink whenever Don is having one.

    Biggest bummer was Sons Of Anarchy. I saw this getting a thread here so some rainy weekend a few months back when the new release shelve at the video store didn't hold anything we hadn't seen before, I grabbed this and was deeply disappointed. Lame story, shit acting, even the bikes, the tattoos and the music were horrible.

    Right now we're watching OZ. Never seen this before and I know this is a massife latte pass?? but damn, this must have been a massive game changer back in the mid-late 90s when it originally aired. Really amazing shit.

    What's up with Breaking Bad? Any good?

  • OkemOkem 4,619 PostsSuper OG
    Cosmo said:
    Unlike a lot of the HBO series that start out with the slow burn and then get outstanding, Game Of Thrones really came out the gate fully swinging. I was hooked by the second episode, and by the 3rd episode I'm convinced that The Dwarf is the best character on television right now. Dude is the illest.
    Yes. It is most satisfying when a character with real depth comes along. Although the shallowness, inexperience or single mindedness of the characters around him, that helps to make him stand out, makes me admire the writing all the more.
    It's a most pleasingly complex story/plot/situation and it's satisfying to see a character like him just taking it all, ruminating and calculating.

  • leftrightleftright 97 Posts
    can't hate on a show that uses the Skinny Boys for their intro




  • GrandfatherGrandfather 2,302 PostsAlumni
    Frank said:
    What's up with Breaking Bad? Any good?

    OZ was such a dope show and Breaking Bad is the best show on TV IMO. I love that show and can't wait for season 4 in july. It is must watch IMO.

  • WoimsahWoimsah 1,741 PostsAlumni
    Cosmo said:
    Unlike a lot of the HBO series that start out with the slow burn and then get outstanding, Game Of Thrones really came out the gate fully swinging. I was hooked by the second episode, and by the 3rd episode I'm convinced that The Dwarf is the best character on television right now. Dude is the illest.


    Agreed. Peter Dinklage is a beast -- and I love that his last name is "Dinklage".

    This show was pretty ill off the bat. I'm really surprised the incest ish isn't getting a little more hype in the press, etc. I mean dude is bagging his sister. Shit's pretty raunchy. Other dude is copping feels on his sister. I was convinced on Sunday night that when Obama was slated to speak he was going to come out and just be like "yo, b, that's dude's sister".

  • cookbookcookbook 783 PostsAlumni
    Grandfather said:
    Frank said:
    What's up with Breaking Bad? Any good?

    OZ was such a dope show and Breaking Bad is the best show on TV IMO. I love that show and can't wait for season 4 in july. It is must watch IMO.



    Frank, my wife and I do the same thing, burning through seasons in a weekend. We caught up on Breaking Bad in 2.5 weeks, the show is incredible. Can not wait for season 4. Highly recommended!

  • FrankFrank 2,354 Posts
    cookbook said:
    Grandfather said:
    Frank said:
    What's up with Breaking Bad? Any good?

    OZ was such a dope show and Breaking Bad is the best show on TV IMO. I love that show and can't wait for season 4 in july. It is must watch IMO.



    Frank, my wife and I do the same thing, burning through seasons in a weekend. We caught up on Breaking Bad in 2.5 weeks, the show is incredible. Can not wait for season 4. Highly recommended!

    Thanx! I'll go for it then!

  • OkemOkem 4,619 PostsSuper OG
    My main issue with Breaking Bad is that there isn't a single likeable character in the whole show.

  • GrandfatherGrandfather 2,302 PostsAlumni
    Okem said:
    My main issue with Breaking Bad is that there isn't a single likeable character in the whole show.
    hmm, Walt Jr is a good kid and Walt Sr. is pretty much a nerd criminal bad ass.
    Gale was/is awesome too.

  • FrankFrank 2,354 Posts
    Okem said:
    My main issue with Breaking Bad is that there isn't a single likeable character in the whole show.

    I don't mind this in movies or TV series.
    Usually I find something wrong whoever is presented as likeable and end up rooting for some borderline asshole anyway.

    Different topic: I couldn't help but think by myself how Sister Pete (Rita Moreno) in OZ must have been a knockout when she was younger. She still looked great in the series only that they messed up her hair and makeup after season one. I just googled her and voila:



    Stunning!

  • pcmrpcmr 5,590 PostsSuper OG
    wow!
    frank go for breaking bad, i loved it
    i was disapointed by sons, in the end
    I loved watching oz late when i was a teen but having bought the whole set i felt like from season 4 onwards things just got really out of hand and heavy handed.
    I share a drink with the characters of deadwood and that series is stunning...
    For mad men I am doing what i did with sopranos
    watch nothing of it...wait until the deluxe set comes out (i anticipate coasters and manhattan glasses
    and then enjoy it in all it's glory. Bourbon and cigar in hand!

  • The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,188 PostsClassic
    I've been watching hours and hours of Top Gear lately. I'm not really into cars at all, but I love this show...it's funny, good guests, silly stunts...good stuff.

  • dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,304 PostsSuper OG
    Okem said:
    My main issue with Breaking Bad is that there isn't a single likeable character in the whole show.

    Badger! But in general, yes, the characters are not likable, but they're not psychopathic (with the exception of Tuco Salamanca), just flawed and human.

    Breaking Bad is my favorite show the last two years running in a field of tough competition. If you can stand icky stuff, it's well worth the time.

    WHAT DID YOU DO TO MY TIO!!!!

  • Options
    Just now watching the 1st episode of the final season of Law & Order: Criminal Intent with Vincent D'Onofrio ending his great run. I know feelings run hot and cold on this franchise but I'll ride for VD'O on this show all day.

  • motown67motown67 4,513 PostsSuper OG
    Frank, I couldn't disagree with you more about the last season of Sons of Anarchy. I didn't think they could pull off the kidnapping of the baby, especially when it was revealed that they had to go to Ireland, but I think they did a great job and kept on surprising me with plot twists. The very end was bad ass as well.
Sign In or Register to comment.