NOLA VIRGIN (Looking for recommendations)

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited May 2011 in Strut Central
So I'm breaking my New Orleans cherry this coming weekend and would love some advice on what to check out. Basically looking for really fucking cool shit to do. It's Jazzfest weekend and I have VIP passes to the festival but want to do other shit. I have a show of my own on Friday night too.

I have a small apartment right outside of the French quarter so I think I'm kinda located okay. I'll probably rent a car too.

Lifelong dream to go there and I've had this romantic thing in my head about if forever and I wonder if it will live up to that hype.

I want to eat mad crawfish and jambalaya and oysters and shrimp.

I want to see mad brass bands.

I want to see the indians.

What else? I'm afraid I might not ever come back.

Please advise... Thanks!

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    -Cemetery district
    -Real men rock umbrellaz
    -Beignets
    -Hifive Dr John
    -Willie Mae's Scotch House
    -Congo Square (get your fortune read)
    -Go on a riverboat if you can, I didn't get to
    -DONT GO TO THE VOODOO MUSEUM, IT SUX
    -Drive around and see the city, but be very fucking careful driving, the stoplights and boulevards are made for accidents. Some say people juke you on purpose for lawsuiting.
    -If water gets up to your bumper on the road, turn around and go home.
    -Drive across Lake Pontchartrain and get your fanboating/alligator spotting on.
    HAVE FUN!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    The_Non said:
    -
    -Willie Mae's Scotch House

^^^Fried Chicken Here Is A Must^^^

Drago's Charbroiled Oysters

Couchon

http://www.cochonrestaurant.com/

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Restaurant August has a 3-course lunch for $20. K-Paul's (one of my first kitchen jobs) has a great lunch special, as well. Among newer places, Cochon Butcher has great food and incredible mac and cheese. Mandina's is my all-time favorite, though (shrimp bo-boy, turtle soup). The Galley in Metairie has some of the best crawfish, but it's good all over really.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

Yes! Cochon Butcher is their lunch spot around the corner. Great new spot!

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who's never been to New Orleans. Wherever you go, you will be good. You can't control the quest. Safe travels, bud.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    rental car essentials

b/w

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Caf?? du Monde Beignets=believe the hype

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Cosign Cochon & Drago's Charbroiled Oysters- but, seriously, you can hit Drago's for that dish, get a drink, and move on. Nothing else essential there.

Mother's is worth the hype, but go for dinner and no one is around. The Crawfish Etouffe and the Bread Pudding will melt faces.

Hole in the wall Po' Boy places abound.... If someone says, "this is my spot," try that one.

Arnaud's French 75 is a nice place to get a drink. Quiet, and just 1 block off of Bourbon St.

• Cosmo said:
    So I'm breaking my New Orleans cherry this coming weekend and would love some advice on what to check out. Basically looking for really fucking cool shit to do. It's Jazzfest weekend and I have VIP passes to the festival but want to do other shit. I have a show of my own on Friday night too.
    Congrats on poppin that cherry Cos, we're stoked to have ya. Jazzfest is YawnFest, but the good news is that all kinds of
    local hype is goin on outside of the Fest. Check out The Gambit online for cool shit.

I have a small apartment right outside of the French quarter so I think I'm kinda located okay. I'll probably rent a car too.
    Man, screw a rental unless you want to get out of the city. NOLA is small and compact. Streetcars are a cinch,
    Cabs are cheap inside the city. Where you will be, everything you wanna do is within a 15 min. walk, or a 10 minute
    streetcar ride uptown for fancy shit.

Lifelong dream to go there and I've had this romantic thing in my head about if forever and I wonder if it will live up to that hype.
    Gotcha. First morning you wake in NOLA, walk to the head (away from Canal st.) of Royal st. in the Quarter, grab a
    Au Lait at the Royal Blend (Best coffeshop courtyard in Da Quarter) and slowly meander up Royal towards Canal st.
    This is the romantic picturesque NOLA you seek. Walk slow. Breathe deep. Look up. I'm old and jaded and this
    walk gets me all misty every time.

I want to eat mad crawfish and jambalaya and oysters and shrimp.
    At Jazzfest, get you some Crawfish Bread. GotDAMN.
    Oysters are everywhere. Burbon House probably has the best in the Quarter.
    For Jambo, get thee to Jacques imo's uptown on Oak. Distrust Quarter Tourist Jambalaya.

I want to see mad brass bands.
    No problem. Besides the numerous gigs that weekend, just walk around the Quarter, the
    Marigny and Downtown around dusk. During Jazzfest, local restaurants hire bands to
    parade the blocks around them to lure customers. Follow one till you have a cocktail
    in your hand and are dancing with a strange woman. Boom.

I want to see the indians.
    Well, then come back for Mardi Gras. That's really the only time to get down.
    I'm sure the 'Fest has some Indian Troupe perfoming, but meh.

What else?

Go to the Hotel Monteleone on Royal, saddle up to the revolving carousel bar
    and order a mint julep. Sip. Gaze.

Go to a bounce show in the Bywater.

Bluebird Cafe for hangover cure/breakfast.

Apple Barrel bar in the Marigny for local gutter punk and boozy floozy experience.

Evelynes Bar on Decatur in the Quarter for hole-in-the-wall PBR experience and
    top-secret-best-gumbo-in-town experience.

Louisiana Music Factory across from HOB on Decatur. Great people. Buy some Rebirth CDs.

Have a blast, but don't try to cram too much in.
    It's 'Nawlins, you're supposed to slow down and settle into your shoes.
    Strike up convo with folks. You might wind up at a party.

Have fun!
    Oh, and where's your gig? Would love to check it out.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Yep, leave some time for just wandering around, as the sponaneous always trumps the planned in New Orleans. My bars there are typically corner stores, as most of my drinking takes place on the street. There will be young brass bands posted up all over during Jazzfest, won't be hard to find them. At Jazzfest, I recommend a cochon de lait po-boy and go see any Haitian acts you can, which are kinda unique to this year. Make sure to eat a roast beef po-boy while in NOLA as well, way better than a Philly cheese steak IMO. And oh yeah, jam Fiend's Street Life album while you're there...

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

I cannot cosign this strongly enough. I had perhaps the best meal I've ever eaten there--so freakin' good.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Oh god I can't fucking even contain my enthusiasm.

You think I'm playing when I say I might never leave. I am not playing.

Oh yeah, give me the dirt on that SECRET HOT MINDMELT SHIT too.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    I went to NOLA for the first time in September and it was amazing. I'm not extremely well traveled, but I've been to a few places, and nowhere I've ever been has the vibe of NOLA, it is truely something special.

One spot that hasn't been mentioned that my wife and I loved is Felix's in the quarter. Real old school place, best oysters and bloody marys I had on my trip.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    gareth said:
    Drago's Charbroiled Oysters- but, seriously, you can hit Drago's for that dish, get a drink, and move on. Nothing else essential there.

Co-sign.....I usually tell people to order a dozen as an appetizer but don't order your main entree until you've eaten that dozen....then order another dozen or so as your entree.

When I fianlly snap and go on a murderous rampage, go to Death Row and am about to be executed and I have one last meal request.....it will be these friggin oysters.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    All these suggestions are awesome. Please tell me more.

Please tell me the things that will make me cancel my return flight.

ALSO, I will be staying in the Uptown area, if that helps for suggestions.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    what day are you getting in/leaving? are you trying to do some record buying? are you going to the Fest all during the day Friday-Sunday?

feel free to PM me--can make plenty of specific gig recommendations and/or food recs. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one on SS who actually lives in NOLA.

this is important: the best way to drink at Jazz Fest is to bring a flask of rum in your back pocket and mix with a nectar snoball / mango freeze / strawberry lemonade. the best way to close the Fest on Sunday will be either Glen David Andrews in the Gospel Tent or Maze on Congo Square (thousands sliding to "Before I Let Go"). New Orleans LOVES Maze

Cosmo said:
    All these suggestions are awesome. Please tell me more.

Please tell me the things that will make me cancel my return flight.

ALSO, I will be staying in the Uptown area, if that helps for suggestions.

Sunday night at the Maple Leaf: best non-private crawfish boil in the city. they bring out a batch of perfect crawfish w/crazy meats mixed in, then Joe Krown, Walter Wolfman Washington & Russell Batiste play a first set.

at set break around 11:30 or so they bring out a 2nd batch of crawfish, and the band starts a second set while people are in the middle of eating.

one of the number one things i recommend to visitors.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    When you've been eating boiled crawfish and drinking beer for a while and feel the need to hit the head, wash your hands thoroughly as soon as you enter the restroom.

This will be your only warning.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    hogginthefogg said:
    When you've been eating boiled crawfish and drinking beer for a while and feel the need to hit the head, wash your hands thoroughly as soon as you enter the restroom.

cosine.

jacque-imo's for some yummy food. right next door to maple leaf.

cafe amelie near the quarter has a really nice courtyard area and is me and g's favorite place to go. nice date spot, if that is something you're looking for.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Camellia Grill is mad touristy, but it still serves the best omelettes known to man.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    jdeez said:
    hogginthefogg said:

cosine.

jacque-imo's for some yummy food. right next door to maple leaf.

cafe amelie near the quarter has a really nice courtyard area and is me and g's favorite place to go. nice date spot, if that is something you're looking for.

Don't know I didn't hit you up before, holmes. Yeah, date spot shmate spot... I'm just looking to get my face melted off pretty much #VQ #SensoryOverload

Also, people - VOODOO.

Good looking on the Maze advice. I get in Thursday morning and "leave" Sunday morning. I'm playing Friday night at Dragon's Den in case anyone wants to come see me do my thing.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Play the radio in NOLA, when I was down there, they had some of the best black radio stations playing whatever the fuck they wanted, like southern VA. It was great. I'd say drink it all in in NOLA, but also get outside the city and see the surrounding areas, just to soak it in. It's interesting. I went down not amped about the city, and came back being like FUCK YEAH!

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    nola rules...i stayed there a loong time when i thought i would just be passing through.
    lookout for my homie Brice Nice
    have fun, cos

• willie_fugal said:
    . I'm pretty sure I'm the only one on SS who actually lives in NOLA.

Nope.

Just moved the fam permanently to 'Nawlins.
    Uptown on Atlanta a block from the theatre.

Oh, and I've played the 'Den many times over the years.
    Pack that place and it becomes a crazy sweatbox.
    Good luck on getting any monitors, tho.

Def. gonna catch your show Cosmo, good looks.

Cosmo, if you're looking for brass bands there're 2 weekly gigs on Thursday night--Soul Rebels at Le Bon Temps & Stooges at the Hi-Ho. le bon temps is uptown, but it also gets a little more of a college crowd.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I'm gonna lose my fucking mind holy shit.

• WFugal is right, Sunday night at the Maple Leaf is one of the best times in the city.
    Dude, you can't miss it.
    AND, the crawfish have been crazy huge and delicious this year, seriously,
    it's being called the best crop in 10 years.

I've never heard the Stooges brass band, but the HiHo lounge is an institution.
    A cab from uptown is like maybe 8 bucks.

The city is taking it as a personal challenge to make you miss your flight home.

vinylstalker we need to get up sometime!

• Absolutely man, pm a player. I'll be at Cosmos' show, we should meet up.

And Cosmo, if you show proof of a cancelled flight in this thread
    I'll hook you up with the super secret facemelt schitt.

Oh, and Sunday Brunch at the Collumns Hotel on St. Charles is a must:
    Jazz trio, grits and grillades, mimosas, kudzu, linen suits and mint juleps.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    You know Pete O'Chester from Mt. Airy? He lives down there now and is a chef at some rad spot. You should hit him up. Just don't get a DUI like my brother did there in december. He went all out fucked around and got DUI. Except he said jail there was so pleasant. Yuh hurrd meh