David McCallum Appreciation Thread

TheKindCromangTheKindCromang 1,463 Posts
edited March 2011 in Strut Central
I had been wondering to myself, "If Axelrod produced those McCallum records, and H.B. Barnum arranged them....what the hell did David McCallum actually do? He doesn't sing......so........" then I looked him up on wikipedia. Turns out he is a classically trained musician who conducted all the pieces while also writing some original compositions of his own.

Even more interesting, to me, was this little tidbit of info -

"He was married to actress Jill Ireland from 1957 to 1967. They had three sons: Paul, Jason - an adopted son who died from an accidental drug overdose in 1989 - and Val (short for Valentine). He introduced Ireland to Charles Bronson when both were filming The Great Escape. A few years later, she left McCallum and married Bronson"

What was he thinking introducing his wife to Bronson anyway?!?!?

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Love Man From UNCLE when I was a kid.
    Watched some reruns a number of years back and found them entertaining.

David McCallum loaned his face to the covers. Don't buy the classically trained conducting hype.

I'd rather listen to the MFUNCLE soundtracks than those DM records.

• A couple years back I got into it with some sprout who insisted that McCallum was some kind of unsung hero of sampling and rare groove.
    What Laser said, i.e. a popular face on the LP jacket and no more.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Love Man From UNCLE when I was a kid.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    i can specifically remember an interview i read years ago where axelrod put mccallum on blast and said that he didn't do anything towards those lp's apart from have his photos taken.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    jammy said:
    i can specifically remember an interview i read years ago where axelrod put mccallum on blast and said that he didn't do anything towards those lp's apart from have his photos taken.

If I remember correctly, Axelrod also recorded a scathing diss track, "Will the real David please stand up".

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    McCallum's fine but the true magic from British actor/singers lies with the soft and lilting tones of my man Ewar Woowar.

Eleanor Rigby - Edward Woodward

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Patrick McNee also repped hard on "Kinky Boots" ("Sexy little schoolgirls"-R)

Pls 2 not tet the OG Bowler-hatted Mack.