.....all in all, how do YOU feel about T.R.O.Y.???

Digger_Phelps_IIDigger_Phelps_II 174 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
i've come to that time in my life again (this happens every 3 or 4 years) where i hafta hear this instrumental at least once a week! and then i waver between the instrumental & the vocal as to which is more powerful...sh*t still gives me chills...not to mention that the sample while not being nearly funky or soulful IMO is just perfect...everything hits on all cylinders...i could go on but i wanna hear other opinions

Comments

• nah you should go on

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I love this record, but "tell us how you REALLY feel about T.R.O.Y." is a post perhaps better suited to www.okayplayer.com

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    I love this record, but "tell us how you REALLY feel about T.R.O.Y." is a post perhaps better suited to www.okayplayer.com

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    i've come to that time in my life again (this happens every 3 or 4 years) where i hafta hear this instrumental at least once a week! and then i waver between the instrumental & the vocal as to which is more powerful...sh*t still gives me chills...not to mention that the sample while not being nearly funky or soulful IMO is just perfect...everything hits on all cylinders...i could go on but i wanna hear other opinions

I love it.

• i guess this wasnt an appropriate thread for this board.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    i guess this wasnt an appropriate thread for this board.

fuck that. you're talking about music.

i don't share your love for this track but go on...

• i guess this wasnt an appropriate thread for this board.

fuck that. you're talking about music.

i don't share your love for this track but go on...

cool.....while we're at it, i'm kinda wondering how many posts before the large pro ghost-producer debate rears its ugly head.....or doesnt..rear its head.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Classic but I heard that joint too many times.It's become like muzak. Cats throw that on during their "golden era" sets..................................

• I guess I have to admit that I was never blown away by it. When it came out it was just another good rap song to me. I liked it, and I still like it, but it never really changed my life or anything. To be honest, Welcome To The Terrordome blows my mind much more than TROY.

We're talking about the movie Troy, right?

• the best hip-hop song of all time.

the best hip-hop song of all time.

Straighten your kufi.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I just got the straighten it out 12in a couple weeks ago and i have been diggin the troy remix.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

that tile pattern is ILL.

• Options

Classic but I heard that joint too many times.It's become like muzak. Cats throw that on during their "golden era" sets..................................

Mix with "Soulful Strut" for effect.

K.

• the best hip-hop song of all time.

Straighten your kufi.

faux_rillz: thorough in his ninny-ass "hatting"

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Overated, boring, unnecessary... must I go on? What is CL Smooth talking about on this record? He's incoherent (not just on this, but on every record he's ever made). And I don't care if Pete Rock or Large Professor made the beat, it doesn't matter- it stinks like cooked pig ass. Have you ever heard the original record they got the sample, what is it, Tom Scott's "Honeysuckle Breeze"? It sounds like the bastard offspring resulting from smooth jazz fucking muzak in the ass. And you're gonna tell me you can make a "classic" "hip-hop" "record" from that shit? Yeah, I got some breeze you can suckle on, honey. "T.R.O.Y." is terrible, end of story. People must've been getting high on some really, really good shit back when that record came out.

• Overated, boring, unnecessary... must I go on? What is CL Smooth talking about on this record? He's incoherent (not just on this, but on every record he's ever made). And I don't care if Pete Rock or Large Professor made the beat, it doesn't matter- it stinks like cooked pig ass. Have you ever heard the original record they got the sample, what is it, Tom Scott's "Honeysuckle Breeze"? It sounds like the bastard offspring resulting from smooth jazz fucking muzak in the ass. And you're gonna tell me you can make a "classic" "hip-hop" "record" from that shit? Yeah, I got some breeze you can suckle on, honey. "T.R.O.Y." is terrible, end of story. People must've been getting high on some really, really good shit back when that record came out.

are you joking ?

• Overated, boring, unnecessary... must I go on? What is CL Smooth talking about on this record? He's incoherent (not just on this, but on every record he's ever made). And I don't care if Pete Rock or Large Professor made the beat, it doesn't matter- it stinks like cooked pig ass. Have you ever heard the original record they got the sample, what is it, Tom Scott's "Honeysuckle Breeze"? It sounds like the bastard offspring resulting from smooth jazz fucking muzak in the ass. And you're gonna tell me you can make a "classic" "hip-hop" "record" from that shit? Yeah, I got some breeze you can suckle on, honey. "T.R.O.Y." is terrible, end of story. People must've been getting high on some really, really good shit back when that record came out.

I agree 100%. It doesn't fullfill any racial stereotypes I have of blacks and it doesn't make me feel anymore secure in my manhood or causes me to forget that i'm really soft.

AANnnnnnnnnndd....It didn't get a high number of radio spins or even go gold.

Overated, boring, unnecessary... must I go on? What is CL Smooth talking about on this record? He's incoherent (not just on this, but on every record he's ever made). And I don't care if Pete Rock or Large Professor made the beat, it doesn't matter- it stinks like cooked pig ass. Have you ever heard the original record they got the sample, what is it, Tom Scott's "Honeysuckle Breeze"? It sounds like the bastard offspring resulting from smooth jazz fucking muzak in the ass. And you're gonna tell me you can make a "classic" "hip-hop" "record" from that shit? Yeah, I got some breeze you can suckle on, honey. "T.R.O.Y." is terrible, end of story. People must've been getting high on some really, really good shit back when that record came out.

I agree 100%. It doesn't fullfill any racial stereotypes I have of blacks and it doesn't make me feel anymore secure in my manhood or causes me to forget that i'm really soft.

This attempt at "humor" = quite kuficular

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

so there!

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

are you joking ?

not to speak on phill's behalf, but this track --and every single one of it's related facets-- has been talked about to death (at least on SS)

anyhow, do your thing digger. this is a new convo to somebody..

• Options
    death

• gibla74gibla74 182 Posts

Phill you've been quite critical today, knocking some of the big boys, Krs, rakim etc & now troy. That's fair enough but what shit do you think was genuine classics from that period?

First time I heard troy it blew me away. These days I've heard it way too much & I can't really play it at home. When I hear it at a club though I still get nostalgic. I also like the tom scott tune but maybe I'm

are you joking ?

not to speak on phill's behalf, but this track --and every single one of it's related facets-- has been talked about to death (at least on SS)

anyhow, do your thing digger. this is a new convo to somebody..

i generally avoid the hiphop threads on here because most of the time i have no idea what you guys are talking about. so it is new to me. i also try to avoid the non music threads which means i read about 3 threads per day.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Ralph McDaniels played that video to death. It got mad late night NYC radio spins.
    Those horns................Those horns..........aaahhhhhhhhhh. I was also a club banger as well w/ ladies mouthin' that shit along w/ the dudes. Shit is Classic!!

• this track --and every single one of it's related facets-- has been talked about to death (at least on SS)

i had a feeling that wouldve been the case on this type of forum, and as a result i figured that those not interested in the topic would do the obvious thing and not click into the thread but hey, everyone is welcome

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

Phill you've been quite critical today, knocking some of the big boys, Krs, rakim etc & now troy. That's fair enough but what shit do you think was genuine classics from that period?

From that period? You mean like late 80's, early 90's??? Nothing. That era is basicaly shit compared to what's been going on lately in rap. In a nutshell, most rap back then was made for other rappers. Today rap is made for regular people who could give a fuck less about you "eating up 21 emcees at the same time" or some such schitt. Hence, it is more popular and just better today than it was back then.

And my name is not Phill. I'm just using his computer.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    i guess this wasnt an appropriate thread for this board.

Nonsense. TROY is