rock with rap names / rap with rock names

empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
edited January 2011 in Strut Central
i was thinking while watching CONAN last night when he introduced his musical guest THE GHOST OF A SABRETOOTH TIGER that you can pretty much guess what kind of music a group is going to be without listening to their stuff. are there any musical acts that you would think otherwise if you had no context, solely basing genre on the name? nowadays a group qualifying their name with "THE" in the beginning is typically going to be some "indie" / "hipster" rock outfit.

off the top of my head -
rap names that could pass as rock:
- people under the stairs (emo, sorry thes!)
- the nonce (early 80s punk, later new wave)
- edan (some shoegaze / atmospheric steez)
- lil' jon (folk / renaissance lore)
- the-dream (80s hair metal better know for their monster ballads)

rock as rap:
- the doobie brothers (rappers rapping about weed, duh)
- no doubt (90s hip-hop/r&b with a pop feel)
- black sabbath (political / preacher raps)
- zz top (new jack swing)
- talking heads (cerebral raps)

other:
junior mafia (tejano)

this is probably a stupid thread to up, but something to pass the time this friday. please add on. have a good weekend!

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Whodini - Costume Arena Rock

• MC 5 - disco rap group

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Notorious B.I.G. = epic 85 hair pop a la Scritti Polliti
    The Pharcyde = String Cheese Incident / Phish / Medeski Martin Wood / and I'll even say Sublime fans would love this jazzy funky teenaged garage band out of Boston
    Killarmy = Norwegian death metal at its finest

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    - gucci mane (italian disco pop girl + guy duo known for their matching luscious hair)
    - t-pain (christian screamcore; the "t" representing the crucifix)
    - drake (contemporary country harking back to it's "country & western" roots)

- bloc party (electro-infused, party-based hip-hop with bright clothes + sunglasses at all times. did i mention they're russian?)
    - the descendants (native tongues' second cousin's cousin)
    - the smiths (family-super-group comprising of will smith + jada pinket with children + breakout talent jaiden + willow.
    file under emerging genre to be known as "one-to-grow-on" rap)

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Here are some:

-Powerrule (heavy metal band).
    -Two in a Room (80s synth pop, ala Depeche Mode).
    -Linkin Park (hip-hop group named after their neighborhood).
    -Kid Rock (sounds like an MC name).
    -Black Rock and Ron (a funk-rock group like Living Colour or Bad Brains).
    -Cella Dwellas (a goth-rock group).
    -EMF (a rap group with letters in the name that represent group members' names like EPMD).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• rap as rock:
    Above The Law - punk/anarchist vibe
    Original Concept - prog
    Masterdon Committee - indie collective
    Reflection Eternal - shoegaze
    Dream Warriors - Dokken cover act
    The X-Ecutioners - Death speed metal

rock as rap:
    GG Allin - audacious use of double initials
    Motley Crue - it's a crew AND misspelled???
    The Killers - supergroup of formerly solo gangsta rappers
    MC5 - originally batted the Cold Crush

• cookbook said:
    MC 5 - disco rap group
    HAHAHA JUST SAW THIS, yes!

• Woimsah said:
    Notorious B.I.G. = epic 85 hair pop a la Scritti Polliti
    The Pharcyde = String Cheese Incident / Phish / Medeski Martin Wood / and I'll even say Sublime fans would love this jazzy funky teenaged garage band out of Boston
    Killarmy = Norwegian death metal at its finest

lmao

• empanadamn said:

- a tribe called quest (native-american inspired, jam-hippy-folk rock comprised of 4 berklee college of music graduates on guitar and percussion, with a peruvian* on pan flute. now booking for festivals, special events + children to adult parties. * = subject to availability)
    - de la soul (above music group moonlighting as latin ensemble, moving one of the guitar players to congas, + another to trumpet. crowd favorites include covers of "kokomo" + lounge-influenced "vida loca". available exclusively during the winter for ship cruises or weddings in florida / along the carribean)
    - jungle brothers (afro-jazz-funk side project of the above comprised of 3 of the aforementioned members on heavy percussion, trumpet, lead by a light-hearted + engaging johannesburgian (by way of new jersey) singer / songwriter who puts his own spin on all the classics while channeling the heart, spirit + showmanship of james brown. now taking bids for college appearances spring 2011).

• little b - private press sweet soul

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Genius thread.

• Cosmo said:
    Genius thread.

totally agree.

this is what every strut thread can/should be: music knowledge + humor that the whole family can enjoy.

post a pic of Alba and we have the thread of the month.

• 5 stars...so many good choices here

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    empanadamn said:
    - the descendants (native tongues' second cousin's cousin)

milo goes to college being the remix of "i left my wallet..."

flock of seagulls
    as popularity of lil' wayne's young money camp (including chart topping, media darlings drake + nicki minaj) continues to soar, birdman (aka baby), co-founder of cash money records, takes to the air with this attempt at employing a new, but no spring chicken, [del] rooster[/del] roster of off-the-cuff rappers who's rhyme flows are unique as their personalities. a recent mixtape leaked over the internet from the group, commonly known on message boards on the internet solely as "the flock", features one stand-out track (64 total) of a 360-bar rap barrage of nothing but chorus! the flock as been referred to by bloggers as the new, avian wu-tang, yet stand-out individuals have yet to rise above their collective coop. look out for a birdcall via twitter (@birdman5star) as more projects are on the horizon. cash money is an army, better yet a navy... mixed with an airforce... to be reckoned with.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    Arctic Monkeys - unlistenable late nineties futuristic rap-collabo (Del was in there, feature by Kool Keith)
    Hellacopters - Raps about post-apocalypse (one beat produced by Primo, LP has features by Vast Aire and Aesop Rock)
    Pablo Cruise - Hispanic early 2000s bling-bling about cars and guns and dog-fights
    Three Dogg Night - Snoop, Nate and another cousin on the dark side of westcoast rap (more sawtooth to the sinewaves)

Public Enemy - skate-punk, opening shows for "Suicidal Tendencies"
    Cannibal Ox - dark speed-metal with gore lyrics
    Naughty By Nature - Casted fun-punk band with tame lyrics pointed at kids aged 7-12

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    CinisterCee said:
    empanadamn said:

That one cracked me the fuck up--so perfect, I can totally see it happening. He'd do that Christian Side Hug song.

Main Source = third-rate imitation of Tool
    The Beatnuts = carrying on the spoken word tradition of Reg E. Gaines
    Poison Clan = thrash metal group that may not take too kindly to non-white folks

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    EMPANADAMN IS TED BAWNO!

hahaha... dude!!!

i was just thinking, did ego trip do this before? totally seems like they would...

hi j*ff*s*n!

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Seriously though, you need to approach Ego Trip with this stuff, holmes!

I'll play.

Common Sense: reggae group made up of 4 white men with dreadlocks...oh wait.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    *The Violent Femmes: 3rd wave feminist riot grrl punk
    *World Class Wreckin Cru: deathmetal played at my local Gold's Gym
    *Pearl Jam: Def Jam's offshoot outfit aimed at capturing the attention of Kardashian-inspired female R&B fans
    *The Black Eyed Peas: Southern blues-y folk band that adheres to the tradition of eating b.e. peas on new year's day for good luck
    *Salt n Pepa: a capella group of grayingseniors who audition to be the next big thing on a prime-time TV talent show
    *Grand Wizard Theodore: white supremacist solo act
    *Fleetwood Mac: or Eff-Mac for short, yet another addition to the Bay Area's hyphy scene. Macks on Berkeley and SF State chicks regularly
    *Andre Nickatina: sings about the pleasure of smoking hand-rolled tobacco cigarettes; famous for his raspy voice and on-stage hacking fits