HOLY SHIT (UBB Related)

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited January 2011 in Strut Central

Pretty sure they're replays, but still...

Comments

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Yes please.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    fack! pretty sure i threw up in my mouth right there....

thats ill man!

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Mutable bells!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Cosmo said:

Pretty sure they're replays, but still...

Yeah, I'm guessing these are the multitracks of those UBB instrumental replays that came out a little while back. Still, this is a handy/clever way of packaging them up.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    wait so is this specifically for protools or are these just waves (.WAV)? i use Sony Acid Pro 7 currently and have been using acid for a while (insert acid jokes here-->) for my production, so is this worthwhile for me to look at copping?

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    DEFINITELY replays

:weaksauce:

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Quite impressed by how good those replays sound. The horns on I Believe In Miracles sound a little artificial, and nothing sounds quite like the drums on Synthetic Substitution apart from the drums on Synthetic Substitution. But nevertheless, someone's gone to a lot of trouble to get as close to the o.g.'s as they can, so full marks for effort.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    Quite impressed by how good those replays sound. The horns on I Believe In Miracles sound a little artificial, and nothing sounds quite like the drums on Synthetic Substitution apart from the drums on Synthetic Substitution. But nevertheless, someone's gone to a lot of trouble to get as close to the o.g.'s as they can, so full marks for effort.

Yeah certainly not perfect but going in the right direction. Hopefully these will continue to improve.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    El Michels Affair I guess...

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    full marks for effort
    Soft McCoy.

In the year 2011, when UBB has been mined so thoroughly and so heedlessly and for so long, what do these jernts still have left except their original fiber, that ghosty stuff, their abstract but nonetheless irreducible ooh-that's-that-shit-ness? And replaying them strips them of even that, their last remaining pot to piss in. I'm not mad at a band getting paid, but this is Pickwick Songbook shit all the way. Lightning bug v. lightning, you know? This project might have novelty value, but anyone who would take it seriously (even as, like, a "production tool" or what have you) is probably the kind of wack motherfucker who thinks seriously about what his girl might look like with different teeth.

I'm not really as mad as I sound, but still: Boo, I say. Boo.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    james said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    full marks for effort
    Soft McCoy.

In the year 2011, when UBB has been mined so thoroughly and so heedlessly and for so long, what do these jernts still have left except their original fiber, that ghosty stuff, their abstract but nonetheless irreducible ooh-that's-that-shit-ness? And replaying them strips them of even that, their last remaining pot to piss in. I'm not mad at a band getting paid, but this is Pickwick Songbook shit all the way. Lightning bug v. lightning, you know? This project might have novelty value, but anyone who would take it seriously (even as, like, a "production tool" or what have you) is probably the kind of wack motherfucker who thinks seriously about what his girl might look like with different teeth.

I'm not really as mad as I sound, but still: Boo, I say. Boo.

I can't really argue with anything you're saying here, and I'm not sure I would, even if I could. But I suppose what I'm trying to do is to look objectively at what this thing is or appears to be, and whether or not (looked at on those terms) it has any use. Now, I'm not the least bit serious about my shit when it comes to this kind of thing, not compared to some of the dudes on here. I'm strictly a hobbyist. And if I ever decided to get more serious about it, and was in the market for some software that'd perform the same function as training wheels while my technical skills caught up with my imagination, it's unlikely I'd reach for something like this in any event. But nonetheless, I do think it's an original idea within this particular realm, and I wouldn't rule out the possibility that the genuinely creative could create something genuine with it. Although that in turn begs the question; why would the genuinely creative bother in the first place? And I completely agree with what you say about the textures of the o.g.'s being where a big chunk of the magic lies, although again, some may see a challenge in trying to recreate even an approximation of that using modern kit.

I have to say, though - this;

probably the kind of wack motherfucker who thinks seriously about what his girl might look like with different teeth

Worth the price of admission alone.

• james said:
    probably the kind of wack motherfucker who thinks seriously about what his girl might look like with different teeth.

:comedy_gold: :next_level: :killin_it:

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    Who needs an UBB recreation tool in 2011? Especially when the inherent archetypal sound characteristics of these recordings have been stripped away? This is bullshit and I hope nobody's copping and trying seriously to make music with it. Original session multitracks would be another thing (which makes the difference why Kon's disco multitrack re-edits were dope). This is not.

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    I guess the useful thing is to see how these great songs were arranged and harmonised, so as a compositional aid/tool

anyone actually sampling this stuff however...

• Synthetic substitution is taking over this land.

Replacing your woman with a love machine.

Oh, the irony.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    utters said:
    I guess the useful thing is to see how these great songs were arranged and harmonised, so as a compositional aid/tool

Come on, it's not Richard Wagner we're talking about. These tracks are not exactly marvels of complexity. In addition, to know how the songs are arranged a set of sheet music would do better than a handful of re-recorded ProTools sessions.

• Shades of "Music Minus One"

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Synthetic substitution is taking over this land.

Replacing your woman with a love machine.

Oh, the irony.

There it is!

I like - in concept - being able to break down these songs into the multis but the replays sound so obviously fake. Boner softener.

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    disco_che said:
    utters said:

Come on, it's not Richard Wagner we're talking about. These tracks are not exactly marvels of complexity. In addition, to know how the songs are arranged a set of sheet music would do better than a handful of re-recorded ProTools sessions.

not everyone can read music dude, like I say, some people might find it useful... but to be honest it's being marketed as if you had access to the original multitracks, which is bs

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    disco_che said:
    utters said:

I got my Wagner pro tools on lock. Expect to see my Beastie/Wagner mash up album Hello Nazi getting the internet going nuts sometime in 2011.

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    I would pay good money for the 'richard wagner UBB pro tools sessions'

"ill drama loop stabs for the producers"

• I think John Williams must have those

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    lol

• there are a few real sessions of songs that are on ubb.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    God forbid a cool, fun thing like this be available to folks. People might actually learn something, have fun, get a chance to mess with some good music...

B/W

Hi Kon!

• Cosmo said:
    God forbid a cool, fun thing like this be available to folks. People might actually learn something, have fun, get a chance to mess with some good music...

I don't know dude. The "Substitution" file sounded wilde corny. I mean, I'm sure it might be fun to mess with... won't find me paying hard-earned for it, though.

As far as "learning" goes, I think dudes could learn a lot more by fucking around with 2 copies of Johnny The Fox than trying to recreate a recreation of "The Mexican" or whatever.

Kon - are any of the actual UBB sessions on this thing?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    As far as "learning" goes, I think dudes could learn a lot more by fucking around with 2 copies of Johnny The Fox than trying to recreate a recreation of "The Mexican" or whatever.

Edan did a bit with two JTFs during his instore at Academy and I thought it sounded cool as shit.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah that Edan JTF routine is tite. Too bad they took it down off the youtubes.

And Jonny yeah I hear you man, but I just look at it like there's so much wack shit out there, why be mad at this? That's all I'm saying.

• Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Cosmo said:

I don't know dude. The "Substitution" file sounded wilde corny. I mean, I'm sure it might be fun to mess with... won't find me paying hard-earned for it, though.

When, with a little bit of digging, you can find Stevie, Marvin, Queen, Beatles, etc. multitracks, why would you pay for tepid replays? I like the concept though.

• I mean I am not like ANGRY at it, I'm just kind of like, "ehhh".

On the one hand, I'm pretty convinced that 5% of the folks that get a hold of sessions actually do anything meaningful with them, trying to improve on this kind of shit is a total exercise in futility and I'd rather hear new music or even just sampled music that's done in a fly way.

On the other hand, this strikes me as capitalizing on the UBB legacy but using replays that, to me, don't live up to the originals, and back in the day I feel like people would've just called it "wack". But we've grown over the years and now I can just say, "not for me".