One-Way Long Distance Moving Truck Rental?

spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
edited January 2011 in Strut Central
I'm moving to from the Bay to LA this month, and trying to figure out the most headache-free and cost-effective way to move my stuff down this month - a few shelving units, a queen size bed, records, couch, desk, etc. - enough stuff that it's just not going to work trying to haul things down piece by piece in an SUV or pickup. I hate moving and hopefully this will be the last time until I buy a house.

I'm confident that everything could fit easily in a 10-ft truck. But U-Haul can bite it and I don't have much experience with other companies, particularly for one-way rentals - I have a local company that's been great to me who I'll call tomorrow, but their per mile charge is still pretty high.

Has anyone used a company before that does NOT charge per-mile? I was looking at quotes from Budget at around $250 that included about 430 miles, but that's still billed per-mile and I'm pretty sure I can do better. Also put in a request for a quote on one of those POD units, but I'm wary - anyone have experience with them?

Thanks strut-fam!

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Pack your POD game tight if you use it, because if anything happens, anything whatsoever, they will blame you, even if you have insurance.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    The_Non said:
    Pack your POD game tight if you use it, because if anything happens, anything whatsoever, they will blame you, even if you have insurance.

Yeah the more I read about these things the less interested I am.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    It's hella convenient though, converts into storage if need be and you can go at your own pace vs a herculean all day moving affair.

• Penske is cheaper than UHaul. Pods are expensive, but convenient.

• ha, i thought this thread was going to be about a collection in Missouri you were looking to clean out.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    spelunk said:
    Has anyone used a company before that does NOT charge per-mile? I was looking at quotes from Budget at around $250 that included about 430 miles, but that's still billed per-mile and I'm pretty sure I can do better. Also put in a request for a quote on one of those POD units, but I'm wary - anyone have experience with them?

Thanks strut-fam!

I looked into a bunch of options when I moved from Boston to New York a few months ago. I didn't find anything more reasonable than that Budget quote. Good luck!

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    I moved cross country (CA to NY) a few years back, and from what I remember, PODs were STUPID expensive, basically laughable, when I hollered. That was for cross country, though.

Really, it depends on how you want to handle it in terms of insurance, but looking on Craigslist for moving services is always a good look.

The service I ended up using when I did move was via a moving auction site. Basically, you post up a list of what your're moving (doesn't have to be super super detailed), and different moving companies bid on your move. As the offers come in, they give you detailed info about their companies, etc. It's pretty handy -- and I can vouch for it as I used it myself.

I'm not remember what the site was called, but if you google "moving/relocation auction site" or something to that effect, I'm sure it'll come up.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    ah hah - found 'er...

http://www.uship.com/moving/

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    When I moved from Oregon back to Texas, I wanted to just rent a big truck but prices were so insanely high...it was around the same price or even less to have movers take all our furniture and stuff, and then for the weight of all our books and records, which would have driven the price of movers out of reach, I rented a little trailer to tow the books and records behind my then Jeep.

• whether it be a truck, van, pod or trailer, pack up your belongings so that nothing has more than half an inch of jiggle room and no more than a 6 inch fall.

play this song on repeat while loading up:

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    half an inch of jiggle room and no more than a 6 inch fall.

comeonsrsly holmes are we going to have to go over the UPS load methods again?

SEAWA '98