RIP

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited January 2011 in Strut Central
25 years ago today.

GOAT status.

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I've revealed my fanboy status many times here.

My favorite rock singer evar!

RIP

• Man, 25 years...I think a radio tribute is in order.
    RIP

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I'm kinda new to worshippping Mr. Lynott. But I'm all in by this point. Always liked their radio classics and have had copies of Jailbreak and Johnny the Fox for the longest. But in the past couple of years, I've really dug deep into the Thin Lizzy catalog and I couldn't be more sold on it. Chinatown is my favorite complete album of theirs, but what a career dude had before passing far too early...such a great songwriter!

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    My dude.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    I've revealed my fanboy status many times here.

I think it's safe to say that everytime a Thin Lizzy thread was created on Soul Strut, then Pickwick33 was in the house.

"Bustin' out, dead or alive!"

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Everybody loves Thin Lizzy. Even pensioners. Seriously.

Top ten desert island jams.

• Dublin knows what's up

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Posting shit up on my Facebook, I found this clip. This footage is crazy #BreakRelated

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I was driving with my brother, his wife, and my fiance, when AC/DC - Jailbreak came on the radio. I remarked off-hand that they should just retire that song since it can't hold a candle to Thin Lizzy's Jailbreak, which incited a round of "AC/DC is totally better than Thin Lizzy" and whatnot, which was enough to irk me into a raer bout of overt music snobbery culminating with me pissed off saying "Shut up. None of you know shit about music. Just shut up."

Don't fuck with the Lynott.

The early stuff is great???..the later solo stuff is great??????Phil was just greatness.

• Options
    A longtime favorite here.

Onstage banter from Lynott:

"Do any of you girls have a little Irish in you?"

(Loud screams of affirmation.)

"Would you like a little more?"

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    100% badboy.

b/w

Eric Bell - so slept on.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Phil's lyricism is pretty much unfuckwittable.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Greatest catalogue. Greatest vocal delivery. Greatest talent in any genre ever, imho. The only things that ever really jarred with me was how he let his drugginess get him bloated and fuck those vocals up with the nasal whine (from Chinatown onwards), and the fact that on his 'desert island disc' equivalent on Radio 1 he included a few of his own tunes. A bit naff, that was.
    We'll erase the Billy Bremner 'Trouble Boys' outing and that Greedies 45 from the memory banks too. Oh, and that godawful Hardcastle collabo 'Nineteen' as well. Horse and bugle had a lot to answer for.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    I was driving with my brother, his wife, and my fiance, when AC/DC - Jailbreak came on the radio. I remarked off-hand that they should just retire that song since it can't hold a candle to Thin Lizzy's Jailbreak, which incited a round of "AC/DC is totally better than Thin Lizzy" and whatnot, which was enough to irk me into a raer bout of overt music snobbery culminating with me pissed off saying "Shut up. None of you know shit about music. Just shut up."

Don't fuck with the Lynott.

GOLD.

I dig the Greedies 45

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Ray-gun is probably my favorite of their songs

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    color me a fan. rip.

• TheKindCromang said:
    Dublin knows what's up

The Ace With The Bass. Most certainly a fan. Rest well.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Disc 4 of this box set isn't as strong as the other three, and there are more concise Lizzy primers out there, but overall, this is definitely worth copping.