Rap aint dead...

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    batmon said:
    dj_cityboy said:
    hiphop died before rap ever did...imho

Explain

You really don't want him to

I believe he is referring to the "Four Elements" marketing myth, something that people from other countries often struggle to see through

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I can't leave this thread without posting my favourite norwegian rap video:

They really worked hard on copying that Fresh Prince intro!

• faux_rillz said:
    batmon said:
    dj_cityboy said:

Explain

I believe he is referring to the "Four Elements" marketing myth, something that people from other countries often struggle to see through

I believe that the one CityBoy is a homegrown American who hates on commercial rap as well as Wal-Mart.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    batmon said:
    dj_cityboy said:

Explain

"But Chuck D said we were Real Hip Hop!"

"Were about to do a collabo w/ Percie P and AG!!"

hogginthefogg said:
    faux_rillz said:
    batmon said:
    dj_cityboy said:

Explain

I believe that the one CityBoy is a homegrown American who hates on commercial rap as well as Wal-Mart.

And?

• faux_rillz said:
    batmon said:
    dj_cityboy said:

Explain

cant really say that i see it as a myth, the marketing portion is true though, turning hiphop into a watered down commodity completely different then the way it started definately holds true to that statement. there was definately a time when the DJ was taken out of the whole element of hiphop on stage and dj's were replaced by dat machines and rocking over CD instrumentals, dancers fell of well before that time, and graffiti made it on stage in front of large crowds very rarely.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    If anyone wants to spread the word though - there are vast empty spaces in the northern parts of Sweden where KRS could found a hiphop country - if the whole "hiphop state" concept falls through. Was it Arizona he had in mind? Anyway, just trying to do my part.

dj_cityboy said:
    faux_rillz said:
    batmon said:
    dj_cityboy said:

Explain

cant really say that i see it as a myth, the marketing portion is true though, turning hiphop into a watered down commodity completely different then the way it started definately holds true to that statement. there was definately a time when the DJ was taken out of the whole element of hiphop on stage and dj's were replaced by dat machines and rocking over CD instrumentals, dancers fell of well before that time, and graffiti made it on stage in front of large crowds very rarely.

"DJ JamMaster Jay featuring RUN & DMC"

• hogginthefogg said:

I believe that the one CityBoy is a homegrown canadian eh! who hates on commercial rap as well as Wal-Mart.

yep thats me....cant say i hate on mainstream hiphop i just dont find any of it appealing (to me)...i cant help be stuck in the early 80 to mid 90's, sorry guys it is what it is....not like um coming here dissing all the music out today i just dont feel most of it end of story, cant say i would rather rock out to some jay-z then some crashcrew..not my fault.

call me a fussy music listener, s'all right, i just cant dig most of the shit out there right now...

great thing about opinions is that no one has to agree with mine...and yeah um alright with that... and hey! if your rather rock out to Jay-z then crashcrew...thats cool too, too each their own..

• SportCasual said:
    the Hip Hop Santa Claus

American?

European?

American?

Australian?

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    dj_cityboy said:
    and graffiti made it on stage in front of large crowds very rarely.

I heard those Graf concerts BITD were nuts. Paint everywhere!

dj_cityboy said:
    hogginthefogg said:

I believe that the one CityBoy is a homegrown canadian eh! who hates on commercial rap as well as Wal-Mart.

yep thats me....cant say i hate on mainstream hiphop i just dont find any of it appealing (to me)...i cant help be stuck in the early 80 to mid 90's, sorry guys it is what it is....not like um coming here dissing all the music out today i just dont feel most of it end of story, cant say i would rather rock out to some jay-z then some crashcrew..not my fault.

call me a fussy music listener, s'all right, i just cant dig most of the shit out there right now...

great thing about opinions is that no one has to agree with mine...and yeah um alright with that... and hey! if your rather rock out to Jay-z then crashcrew...thats cool too, too each their own..

Why not enjoy both? Where is your cut off point?

• dayday 9,612 Posts

SKUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUD??UDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUD??UDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUD??UDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUD??UDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUD??UDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUD??UDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUD??UDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUD??UDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUD??UDUDUDUDUDUDDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDU??DUDUDUDUDUDUDU

• ^^^^

Secret house party tour van related.

• batmon said:

tbh, i really dont know....i started not liking hiphop around the mid 90's ish...i dont mind gangster rap at all, but id rather listen to some schoolly d or spice 1 then listen to half of the crap since that time...i cant say everything from that era i hate, once the 2000's came there was more and more fluff being pushed out compared to some of the other dope shit that i was listening to back then, people still driving to be original and do things differently, i wasnt a huge fan of the whole anticon movement dealy, but i applaud then for doing something different, rather then talking about wack shit, my ears thrive on hearing something different, if its the same story, same format, same guns/money/bitches i block it out...

i guess once the old shit started getting duplicated i began to lose interest, now that i am a bit older i would much rather listen to the shit my borther listened too when he grew up, sabbath, floyd, zeppelin and what ever else, i listen to more non hiphop then hiphop now a days...and that sux, maybe i am being over critical i dunno, but most of the people that i chill with feel the same way about music now and then.

• here is some more wacknes for you guys ....merry xmas

• dj_cityboy said:
    batmon said:

tbh, i really dont know....i started not liking hiphop around the mid 90's ish...i dont mind gangster rap at all, but id rather listen to some schoolly d or spice 1 then listen to half of the crap since that time...i cant say everything from that era i hate, once the 2000's came there was more and more fluff being pushed out compared to some of the other dope shit that i was listening to back then, people still driving to be original and do things differently, i wasnt a huge fan of the whole anticon movement dealy, but i applaud then for doing something different, rather then talking about wack shit, my ears thrive on hearing something different, if its the same story, same format, same guns/money/bitches i block it out...

i guess once the old shit started getting duplicated i began to lose interest, now that i am a bit older i would much rather listen to the shit my borther listened too when he grew up, sabbath, floyd, zeppelin and what ever else, i listen to more non hiphop then hiphop now a days...and that sux, maybe i am being over critical i dunno, but most of the people that i chill with feel the same way about music now and then.

lol you say it's your opinion and that it's cool to disagree as you call stuff you don't like "crap" and "wack shit"....nagl

• RoNiKaL said:

wow

this thread is amazing

• walter_chron said:
    lol you say it's your opinion and that it's cool to disagree as you call stuff you don't like "crap" and "wack shit"....nagl

whats so nagl about it, i dont like punk and i think its wack, just my opinion, but i am not going to knock dudes who love punk music, my opinion is just that my opinion...if you love punk music awesome man, thats cool that you like it, personally i dont, i dont see what people/you dont get about that?

you might like lil poo-poo/zane/wayne/whoever else for all i care, i think that shit is wack...if you like it cool man, thats your deal, not mine...we all cant be expected to listen to and love everything we hear, my mom loves country music, me not so much, do you think my mom is offended by me not liking country music...

i am fairly open to listening to most things, i'll give it a go at least once, i dont dig punk music nor do i dig opera, dudes dont need to get so uptight if they do like it..its no biggy is what um saying so therefore theres no need to make a big deal of it...

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    It may be time to start the "Reggae Ain't Dead" thread......I have Matisyahu videos for days.

• idiotproof said:
    you pulled the pull card.

• RoNiKaL said:

odub I think this was directed at you.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    thread turned into straight unKut comedy
    I am the one who brought up Afrika Bam
    my fault

• matisyahu is top notch man ....that youth album was crazy

damms said:
    thread STARTED straight unKut comedy

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    all these youtubes are proving that OZ rap is not just merely bad, it's perhaps the worst on the entire planet

at least the Germans are funny

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    RoNiKaL said:

Maybe a skill that US rappers have that others lack is the ability to hear themselves suck.