blue note s , what s good?

buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
edited December 2010 in Strut Central
Finally starting to turn my [very] modest purchasing power towards picking up some Blue Note essentials. Who are the resident experts here? I'm looking for some suggestions or pathways to follow.

I'm not so much interested in any of the "groovy" stuff, nor the later funky stuff. The sweet spot for me seems to be about '64 when some of the talents on the label started taking the straight/bop stuff and slightly edging it into newer territory, modal experimentation, etc...

So far I'm 100% down with this one, which is an iron-clad classic:

and on the more experimental side of things:

This seems way ahead of its time. Kinda floored me when I first put it on.

Just found a nice 60s MONO press of this:

Nice straight-ahead stuff.

other nice pieces:

What's next from there??

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Are you kidding?
    Seriously, just keep buying everything from the time period you like (1964) on Blue Note.
    Then buy more earlier and later records featuring the same players on the ones you like.
    If you don't like the bluesy stuff avoid Jimmy Smith and double check the personnel and song titles on the other organ players records before buying.

Blue Note werent puttin out no trash in the early 60s.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    as said, pretty much anything from that era is great if that's the sound you're into.
    Try John Coltrane - Blue Train & Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue. These were two of the earliest Blue Notes I bought which got me hooked on the label.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

Seriously, just keep buying everything from the time period you like (1964) on Blue Note.

Makes sense, but
    A) they were exceptionally prolific during that period
    which sort of goes hand in hand with
    B) buying OG Blue Notes really starts to add up after like, oh... one title :P

I was going to check out Herbie's other stuff from the era for sure, Andrew Hill too. But I figured I'd see if anyone was hip to any kind of "sleeper" titles that might get overlooked or just not be as famous.

On that tip: I picked up one of these as well, which I'm still not entirely sold on. it definitely is going to require a few more listens:

Maybe we should do top 5's.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    some Blue Note recommendations
    Canonball Adderley - Somethin' Else
    Bud Powell - The Amazing Bud Powell Vol. 1
    Larry Young - Unity
    Joe Henderson - Inner Urge, In 'N Out, Page One
    Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil, Juju, Night Dreamer
    Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder, Cornbread
    Bobby Hutcherson - Stick Up!
    Hank Mobley - Soul Station, Peckin' Time
    Freddie Hubbard - Blue Spirits
    Jackie McLean - Destination... Out!, Demon's Dance
    it's mostly straight head but not boring like some bebop can tend to be

Grachan Moncur III's Blue Note albums are good but I prefer his releases on BYG and JCOA
    they are more ambitious efforts imo

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    oh, where to start,i am no expert,but as mentioned that era was almost faultless for the label
    holiday for skins 1 + 2 (although these are actually late 50's they would fit into what i think you are after)
    horace silver qunintet song for my father, tokyo blues, finger poppin (basically anything between 58- and even some of serenade to a soul sister)
    jimmy smith midnight special, home cookin and the sermon
    donald byrd fuego, a new perspective
    that is off the top of my head, i will go through some records tonight and fill in a few more personal favourites.

dL's Blue Note Mix by Decades mixes

this is a blue note mix i made a little while ago for my own pleasure, if you require a tarck list let me know

breadwinner said:

higher the price the better the music!

I do think that photo on the $$$$ Hank Mobley is the sickest thing ever.

Song For My Father seems to get spoken of very highly, gotta check that one for sure.

tokyo blues is imo nearly perfect too, dont what ever you do overlook it!

• Is 1965 too late? 'Cause I'll definitely ride for Larry Young's Unity.

EDIT: evidently Button is cool with '65, because he just mentioned Song For My Father.

We shall see Pickwick; we shall see...

Also for the record, Blacks & Blues (1974) is one of my Desert Island absolutes.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Pretty much anything with Hancock on BN is fire, my desert island picks being "Speak Like A Child" and "The Prisoner". The music and arrangements on those sets are incredible (these are later than 64). The other BN must have for me is Lee Morgan's "Live at The Lighthouse" set.

I am kind of wary of Hutcherson's stuff because it's too out for me but your tastes may be more accommodating. I am the type who wants to play along with the tunes, whereas the Hutcherson may benefit recreational smoaking..

• I like the westcoast Pacific Jazz and Fantasy stuff better, but my personal BN fave is Horace Silver

Saba: How come and what are some of your top picks for those labels?

--

Thanks for that mix dL

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    As others have said, there's a lot of goodness to choose from. Grab whatever you find, and can afford then pass on the ones you're not so mad on. Horace Silver on Blue Note is a great jumping off point for the label but you can pretty much dive in anywhere and come up with quality music.

This is what I'm listening to right now.

• button said:
    Saba: How come and what are some of your top picks for those labels?

--

Thanks for that mix dL

I like the WestCoast sound a little better than the hardbop and for a while I was collecting 10" jazz only. I like the Brubeck and the Tjader 10"s on Fantasy. Early George Shearing on Discovery. Chet Baker and Mulligan stuff on Pacific.

Westcoast also has a closer relation to brazilian bossa nova cross-over. But I don't profess to be a big Jazz longhair. I also lived in S.F. for a while, so the North Beach beatnick sound appeals.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Eric Dolphy's Out to Lunch is other worldly...

• Five great ones:

Freddie Hubbard - Ready For Freddie
    Dexter Gordon - Go
    Grant Green - Idle Moments
    Freddie Redd - Shades Of Redd
    Lee Morgan - Vol. 3

• I've gone mad for Andrew Hill. I can't believe I'd never checked him before this summer!
    'Compulsion' is blowing my mind this week.
    "Too in to be out, too out to be in" as someone says about him somewhere. This is my favourite kind of place, as it turns out.

• breadwinner said:

Not really true, I hope you are being sarcastic... A lot of Blue Note collectors know this is not the case. You might spend more for a Mono version of something on the Blue Note label but it doesn't necessarily make it better than another album. Just compare the prices that Lee Morgan's Indeed album go for in Mono original Lexington pressing. And that is by far not even Lee's best album let alone is it better than other Blue Notes out there. The fact is that it is just more obscure and so the price for it is more. And that Mobley, IMO is not the best that Blue Note has to offer. Again I hope that you are kidding. That said, some of you have some great taste from what I can tell. I lean towards the same kind of stuff from Blue Note's mid 60's.

You have a great start, Button. Every Andrew Hill is killer to me so out there and like nothing else especially Compulsion, Bobby Hutcherson put out some top notch stuff if you are into that sort of vibes style. I would move onto Sam Rivers- Contours or Fuschia Swing Song and also onto Jackie Mclean's stuff from that era. The Grachan album has a lot of the same players and styles as Jackie's Destination and One Step Beyond. And also Grachan's other album Some Other Stuff seems like part 2 of Evolution with Wayne Shorter instead of Jackie.

Larry Young's Unity is essential as well as Pete La Roca's Basra (my personal fav). Of course I am trying to cater to your personal taste from what I can see.

And I agree that everything from Herbie is brilliant, especially Speak Like a Child.

Hope this helps....

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    InnerSpace said:
    Jackie Mclean's stuff from that era.....
    listening to Right Now! (1965) atm

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I said any thing from that time period at the start.
    I thought by now peoples favorites would have covered most all the artists/titles from then.
    I think I see a few missing.

Who rides for early/mid 60s blue notes by:
    Duke Pearson
    3 Sounds
    Blakey
    Tony (Anthony) Williams
    Dorham
    Braith
    Roach
    ?

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

Duke Pearson
    3 Sounds
    Blakey
    Tony (Anthony) Williams
    Dorham
    Braith
    Roach
    ?
    I ride:
    Duke Pearson - Sweet Honey Bee
    3 Sounds - Out Of This World & even the earlier self titled one with the orange cover
    Blakey - A Night At Birdland, Buhaina's Delight
    Tony (Anthony) Williams - Spring. Lifetime
    Dorham - Whistle Stop
    Braith - Soul Stream, Two Souls In One
    Roach - Brown Sugar, Mo Greens Please, Good Move
    are all filed here.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Not BN, but beautiful straight ahead mid 60s jazz.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Duke Pearson

"Wahoo" (from '64) is a great LP IMO. Recommended.

Wow I just checked out BASRA. God damn thats right up my alley. Dark & unhinged feeling, but still grounded in the jazz movements of the previous era. I need more stuff along those lines.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

• BLUE NOTE ALTERNATIVE:

This is a fantastic album of musicians who were all Blue Note regulars - if it had been on Blue Note it would easily be a $500- $600 album, but because it's on Vee Jay an OG can be had for $80 or so:

Lee Morgan, Wayne Shorter, Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers, Philly Joe Jones

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    holmes said:
    as said, pretty much anything from that era is great .
    Might be more informative changing the thread title to "60s Blue notes, what's not good?"

If you dig Basra then definately get Inner Urge. Joe Henderson never played better IMO. Same vibe on the title track and El Barrio only even more intense.