~Education Strut: MBA's~

NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
edited December 2010 in Strut Central
Is there anybody on here with an MBA? Debating if I should get one. Leaning towards an executive MBA, but I suck at standardized tests and did horrible both times I took the GMAT, even took a Kaplan class that didn't really help.
On the flip side there are tons of MBA grads applying for jobs where I work and not getting hired so it doesn't appear to be the deal breaker either.

Thoughts and/or experiences to share? A lot of people I talk to say they're not worth it at the end of the day whereas others think it's crucial for career advancement.

I'm hoping a message board filled with shut-in record collectors can help guide me and give me the advice I need.

Comments

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Question: Do you feel like you've reached the highest position you can without it?

If so, then it's definitely worth pursuing. Even so, (I'm very cynical towards MBA so take this for what it's worth) I think you're better off continuing your work career because you'll accomplish more in that time it would take you to get your MBA. It's also lost a lot of its meaning in recent years with the over abundance of graduates less qualified than those that kept working. It's also often seen as a last resort for people that couldn't find work. I know that's not the case for you, but I know you, and I'm sure there are more hiring managers that look at it that way on a resume.

With that said, an Executive MBA is a whole different ballgame. As I mentioned last time we kicked it, my buddy is in the Executive MBA program at Stanford. He'll exit that one year program as a C level executive. They're super tough to get into, obviously, but you have a pretty solid track record.

Either way, good luck and I'm sure you'll keep rocking it!

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    I can't help with much first hand experience, other than to empathize with dealing with the GMAT. I had started taking a Princeton-Review course several years ago, just a few years after getting my undergrad in business, and was surprised to see how much of the GMAT was algebra and geometry based. Even more surprised to realize that I had pretty much forgotten that level of math by the time I was a Freshman in college. Always made me think I could have done better on the GMAT as a Sr in high school than as a undergraduate with actual accounting/finance work experience.

That aside, I have a good amount of friends/colleagues that either have their MBA or are getting one now. The general consensus I seem to hear, is that unless you get into one of the 'major programs' (eg kellog, stern, whartons, ivy-league, etc) or unless you want a total switch in your career (like moving from a tech or medical line of work to a business profession) than an MBA may not be worth the money/time. If you already have a business degree, but are looking just to go to a state school (or something down the list of 'top' programs) to pick up the title, than perhaps your energy is best spent elsewhere.

I doubt it can hurt, but in my case as a business undergrad with concentration in accounting, I get the sense that getting a CFA or getting a CPA could add a similar level of business prestige for career advancement. Maybe a different level of business acumen in getting a license over an MBA, but in the end a similar result.

Oddly enough (or not) the dudes I know who have dealt with MBA programs always are quick to comment about how much of a "college" affair it is, with excessive amount of drinking all in the name of networking and camaraderie.

good luck which ever route you choose

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Are you currently situated in a career? I feel like MBAs are more career boosters than anything else. If so, does your current workplace have a plan for employees who return to school? If you're looking to advance generally in your field or become a subject matter expert, a master's program might be something to consider.

If you have good grades and sufficient work experience, low standardized test scores might not make a difference unless you're applying to a very competitive program like Haas. Depends where you want to go. Sacramento State and SF State have less competitive yet decent programs and I know plenty of folks who have attended those schools and are doing well in their careers. You can always email the coordinator/administrator who represents admissions at a specific business school.

Good luck with applying to schools, and please do look outside of SS for advice.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Marriage Breakup Award.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    EDIT: We're great.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    MBA in the US is different. George W Bush has an MBA and was the first president to hold one. He is also in the running for douchiest president, though I don't know if that's connected.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Actually maybe it's the same.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    this was in the WSJ this morning...another sense of what many current MBA students are dealing with.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703945904575645201882250696.html?mod=ITP_marketplace_2

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Well that makes sense, since every time the economy goes tits up, all the people who had overpaid marketing jobs go back to school for 2 years to get an MBA. Then 2 years later they are all back on the market.