Restaurant Strut

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited November 2010 in Strut Central
I'm always looking to find good spots to eat so I share with others when I find one...

Saturday I went to the spot below which is in an operating Conoco Gas Station and honestly, it has some of the best food I've had in the D/FW area regardless of price.

As an appetizer we had sliced duck breast in an orange/ginger sauce with leaf spinach....5 star quality...$6.99!!!

For an entree I got the blackened pork chop butterflied and stuffed with crab on angel hair pasta with an asiago sauce...the taste was amazing.

And for dessert(which I had later that night) bread pudding in cognac sauce....I had never had bread pudding before and was not too excited at the prospect but it may very well be the best dessert I've ever had.

If you come to D/FW, or if you are a local, check this spot out...It's 30 minutes out of Dallas but well worth the drive.

They will be catering my Cowboys/Saints tailgate party so if you're going to the game drop me a line and I'll let you know where we'll be at.

http://www.chefpointcafe.org/Menus/

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I was just in Richmond, VA and visited a couple of my favorite restaurants.

Mamma Zu - Italian
    I can't even explain how good this place is. If you go, I'd recommend skipping lunch and getting there 10 minutes before they open at 5:30. The portions are huge so don't over do it on appetizers.

Black Sheep - Southern
    Ive only been for breakfast/brunch but Ive heard everything else is just as good. The fried catfish with crawfish hollandaise and stone ground grits and andoulle sausage is unbelieveAble

I'd get into NYC spots, but that's been done to death here

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Possum Tom said:

Black Sheep - Southern
    Ive only been for breakfast/brunch but Ive heard everything else is just as good. The fried catfish with crawfish hollandaise and stone ground grits and andoulle sausage is unbelieveAble

This sounds great.....wish I had known a few months ago when we were in Richmond.....next time for sure.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Coming up to Fort Worth the day after Thanksgiving, meaning I'm just going to barely miss your tailgate party...dangit!

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Be prepared to wait. It's small and really popular.

Fuel city in Dallas is still the best tacos I think I've ever had.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Possum Tom said:

Only problem with Fuel City is there is no place to sit down and eat so you basically have to eat in your car...they are the shit though.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Be prepared to wait. It's small and really popular.

• damn yall are making me hungry...so these to joints arent really restuarants, but more along the type of places you would see on Food Networks "Diner's Drive-in's & Dives"

http://www.johnslunch.com/
    ^^ the most awesomest seafood on the eastcoast, no trip to halifax/dartmouth is complete without going to this place, its small and the size of the place hasnt changed since my first visit in 1979, fish&chips;, clams&chips;, scallops&chips;, they have pretty well any seafood you would everywant to taste...cool thing about this place is in the summertime the parking lot to this place is filled with oldschool cars every thursday, 67corvette's, camaros, mustangs, woodeys, V-dub wagons, great place to chill check out some nice rides and eat seafood.

http://chickenburger.com/main.php
    ^^ another amazing spot, this place has been around since the 40's and hasnt changed much either neither has their menu, i believe it has been the same since they opened, they serve up "real hamburgers" and have the wickest thickest Milk Shakes...other gathering place for hotrod cars and such as well, usually on Sundays in the summer.

prolly not many peeps coming to this neck of the woods, but if you do, dont embarrass yourself by not going to at least one of these spots...lol

• where my YELPers at? whip yo hair back n forth

• clonn all you want.. and i don't even have an account, but Yelp Mobile is a pretty powerful app, especially with GPS-based local search.

in the past year alone we've got in meals in two suburban towns and one small city where friends or relatives have said "$%#^% how did you know about that place? that's a locals only secret spot!"

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I was talking about Oklahoma Joe's just last night, which for my money has the best BBQ on the planet. Always Smitty's was my favorite before that but I dunno man Joe's kind of kills it. They have brisket sandwich with an onion ring on it. I can eat that for the rest of my life, which if I consistently ate it, would not be long...

http://www.oklahomajoesbbq.com/

Also we've been eating a lot of Lao food recently. One of my favorites is Larb which is an extremely spicy finely minced meat salad. Pretty much the best thing ever. My favorite Larb can be found in Oakland at Champa Garden which is hidden in a residential neighborhood in (what I believe is) East Oakland. Super cheap too and they got $2 Laotian beers which are dope.

http://champagarden.com/

Growing up, Italian food was always kind of my comfort food (although I am not Italian at all.) This weekend I ate at Dino on Dekalb in Fort Greene and was pleasantly surprised. Small plate / slow food / italian is their thing but it doesn't stray too far from the tenants of traditional Italian cooking. Try the bucatini with pulled pork! can be pricy and also crowded but worth it...

http://dinorestaurantny.com/

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    selperfuge said:
    clonn all you want.. and i don't even have an account, but Yelp Mobile is a pretty powerful app, especially with GPS-based local search.

in the past year alone we've got in meals in two suburban towns and one small city where friends or relatives have said "$%#^% how did you know about that place? that's a locals only secret spot!"

I like Yelp but I find the user reviews to be abhorrent. But i find most user review on things like that to be...

I've had the Zagats moble for a minute and it's been okay but some of the features and navigation blow monkey cock. Recently I've been using Urbanspoon and it's been fucking killing it...

• selperfuge said:
    clonn all you want.. and i don't even have an account, but Yelp Mobile is a pretty powerful app, especially with GPS-based local search.

that was not a poke at yelp, i am a registered user and find the service extremely helpful. post up your links, lets be friends.

• Yelp fucking sucks for NYC, bunch of know nothing fucks giving reviews, no offense cookbook.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Garcia_Vega said:
    Yelp fucking sucks for NYC, bunch of know nothing fucks giving reviews, no offense cookbook.

In my limited experience, I have to agree. Four stars? Oh, word Fordham alumnus? Actually that pizza spot sucks.

• ^^ damn i forgot restuarants were in that list....

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    VA Beach-
    MP Cafe-Mind numbingly incredible Jamaican food w/a Jamaican buffet. This shit is hot fiyah. If you go and are disappointed, you have psychological issues.

Doumar's-Homemade Ice Cream plus apparently, they make good barbeque sandwiches or something (I don't eat pork). Featured on Blonde Guy w/douchey hair's show.

Captain Groovie's-shockingly high end food that brings it (wouldn't know it from the outside). Get a dessert. Whatever it is, just try it.

Albany, NY-
    Mr Pio Pio-hole in the wall Ecuadorean restaurant that leaves you satisfied every time. Be prepared to watch soccer if you wanna dine in.

Sitar's-Great Indian food plus cool vibe in the place. Say high to the owner Sonny (looks like a bald character actor, behind the bar).

Mr Roy's-Fuck Clayton's, go to Mr Roy's for Jamaican in Albany. In an area Albany people consider "a bad part of town" so sac up and don't be a bitch.

NYC shine-
    Awash-Amsterdam Ave, great Ethiopian. Haven't heard anyone talk about it on here. Delicious. Don't be scurred and don't be a markass bitch and ask for utensils.

Western Mass-
    Don't come, the food sux. But if you do, go to Athena's Pizza in Amherst, but don't order pizza OR go to Baku's in Amherst if they decide to open the restaurant, really good African.

Louisville, KY-
    Paradise Cafe-delicious. Also, if you like eating in a restaurant that looks like Pee Wee's Playhouse, this is your Xanadu.

Havana Rumba-Great Cuban food, but the service here kinda blows if I remember correctly.

India Palace-great Indian, usually empty, uncertain why, because it was always really really good.

I had good Thai there too, but don't recall what it was. It was near Taylorsville Rd, not in the city center.

Black Sheep is famous in Richmond Rock. Read up on your read ups!

The_Non said:
    Western Mass-
    Don't come, the food sux. But if you do, go to Athena's Pizza in Amherst, but don't order pizza

When did this open? It was all about Antonio's when I was in college.

• DB_Cooper said:
    Garcia_Vega said:
    Yelp fucking sucks for NYC, bunch of know nothing fucks giving reviews, no offense cookbook.

In my limited experience, I have to agree. Four stars? Oh, word Fordham alumnus? Actually that pizza spot sucks.

Obviously, NYC can disprove this theory (as well as many other general theories regarding US cities).

• The_Non said:
    Louisville, KY-
    Lynn's Paradise Cafe-delicious. Also, if you like eating in a restaurant that looks like Pee Wee's Playhouse, this is your Xanadu.

Havana Rumba-Great Cuban food, but the service here kinda blows if I remember correctly.

India Palace-great Indian, usually empty, uncertain why, because it was always really really good.

I had good Thai there too, but don't recall what it was. It was near Taylorsville Rd, not in the city center.

Simply Thai

• DB_Cooper said:
    Garcia_Vega said:

Let me guess, Pugsley's?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    The_Non said:
    Western Mass-
    Don't come, the food sux. But if you do, go to Athena's Pizza in Amherst, but don't order pizza

I dunno. It's on University Dr, not on Pleasant St thru town, and I'd rather go to Antonio's for a piece of pizza, (especially because Athena's is Greek style pizza) although I think pizza in this area generally sucks. Antonio's to me is a competent piece of pizza in an area that doesn't know how to maka da pizza.

Garcia_Vega said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Garcia_Vega said:

Let me guess, Pugsley's?

Yup. :shitty:

The_Non said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    The_Non said:
    Western Mass-

I dunno. It's on University Dr, not on Pleasant St thru town, and I'd rather go to Antonio's for a piece of pizza, (especially because Athena's is Greek style pizza) although I think pizza in this area generally sucks. Antonio's to me is a competent piece of pizza in an area that doesn't know how to maka da pizza.

I can get behind that. I'll take El Buen Gusto over Antonio's most days. Of course, I'm working from collegiate bong-hit bias memories.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Anyone in the Bay needs to go to Chez Panisse immediately

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    If we're talmbout non-ny restaurants, I'll just say, I was down in Nashville and Memphis this summer, and I have to give some *big* shouts to Central BBQ and Gus's in Memphis, and Monells in Nashville. Making me hungry just thinking about these spots..

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    musica said:

Have they stepped it up there? I went years ago, and it was good, I guess, but not up to the hype at all (and not worth the cost).

But folls definitely need to holler at the Bakesale Betty fried chicken sandwich.

If you Bay Area dudes haven't been to Wood Tavern, you're missing out. My dude Max is the Executive Chef. His bourbon pate is ri-damn-diculous.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    musica said:

Have they stepped it up there? I went years ago, and it was good, I guess, but not up to the hype at all (and not worth the cost).

But folls definitely need to holler at the Bakesale Betty fried chicken sandwich.

It's been years for me too. But I recommend the cafe upstairs instead of the fixed-menu dining room downstairs. That way you can choose what you want without spending a small fortune.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    musica said:

Incorrect. I had the single best meal of my life there (sage / butter stuffed quail) and it has been amazing each of the last 3 times I've been. Definitely only for special occasions though (~$100 per person if you hit up downstairs).

b/w

cosign on Bakesale betty's chicken sandwich. About to roll out and grab one right now (post-lunch rush related).