The thread where you hate on Kanye's new album

On_the_Red_ClayOn_the_Red_Clay 1,728 Posts
edited November 2010 in Strut Central
...except for the fact that i really like it. Kanye sounds like he's lost his mind, and he's enjoying it. Topics range from serious misogyny to nuanced cultural critiques, and the production sounds lo-fi and adventerous. Go Kanye!

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

• DB_Cooper said:

"lo-fi and adventerous" google image search?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    No hate. Not blown away but it's better than "808s"! (not saying much)

• Just a couple songs in here and Ye is kind of styling.

I can't really feel the whole "better than 808s" critique. He kind of couldn't get to this point without doing 808s. Not that it doesn't have its issues or whatever, just not really apples to apples.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    Reynaldo said:

is this the dirty or the clean?

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Just a couple songs in here and Ye is kind of styling.

I can't really feel the whole "better than 808s" critique. He kind of couldn't get to this point without doing 808s. Not that it doesn't have its issues or whatever, just not really apples to apples.

Yeah, I know. I was being facetious given how people seemed to uniformly hate that LP. I agree though, it's an outlier.

In any case, I wish Ye hadn't added the RIck Ross section to "Devil in a New Dress." It was perfect the way it was before.

SIRUS said:
    Reynaldo said:

is this the dirty or the clean?

Clean version = not a great look but hey, a leak's a leak.

• Can at least say it sounds a lot better when not accompanied by a wretched bird video.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    brokenrecord said:
    wretched bird video.

• mannybolone said:
    In any case, I wish Ye hadn't added the RIck Ross section to "Devil in a New Dress." It was perfect the way it was before.

he ruined what Bink! did for him with all the extra instrumentation

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    brokenrecord said:
    Can at least say it sounds a lot better when not accompanied by a wretched bird video.

The bird video is great

Kanye = the only famous rapper that still matters

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    cookbook said:
    DB_Cooper said:

"lo-fi and adventerous" google image search?

That's me doing a random driveby on this thread.

• I like it so far but "All The Lights" is fusking terrible.

• The movie was ehhh to me. I respect his vision and the fact that he funded it himself, but the whole time I kept thinking "this fool has way too much money."

faux_rillz said:
    brokenrecord said:
    Can at least say it sounds a lot better when not accompanied by a wretched bird video.

The bird video is great

Kanye = the only famous rapper that still matters

Damn, really? (Not that I disagree...just wondering who else would be in contention)

• This album is real good so far. Studio raps with teh session players is max poppin'! Kanye is a genius.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Listened to it three times today and trying to appraise it pretending I hadn't heard most of the songs previously. For me personally it's everything I wanted from 808s - a mixture of IMHO stunning production, angry Ye running his mouth and a coherent feel from start to finish.
    Sure others will disagree (and there are moments when I question whether it's a triumph or a cheesy mess) but for me the fact that one of the biggest names in rap released an album like this and that it will hopefully sell a shitload is just great.

Sure it steals from every single influence that he's heard over the last year and there are moments of pure indulgence but to me that's what really puts the icing on the cake, an artist who could quite easily release a BEP style pop release and sell shitloads filling an album full of things like a two minute vocoder instrumental or a track built round an aphex twin sample or stripping things back to a simple soul sample. The album should be an incoherent mess but credit to Ye, it's all pulled into one vision.
    Epic rap done right.

As a footnote I am becoming a Ye apologist more each day, for me personally the scene is a lot more interesting with him in than without, cock shots and all.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    No vidz of Kanye rapping on an airplane to passengers to promo the new album?

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    B/w apologies if the above is too cheerleader, on a train home after a night on the town and listening to this album again through headphones and it really is so damn good. Take a step back, pretend you've never heard the GOOD Friday releases, and appreciate how much is going on in this album.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    DOR said:
    No vidz of Kanye rapping on an airplane to passengers to promo the new album?

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts
    just gave it a spin. the first two tracks are pretty blah but it gets better once Dwele comes in.

didn't mind 'all the lights' (and i'm not typically a Rhianna fan).

but then once Nicki leaves, it gets blah again. 'devil in a new dress' is pretty good but i'm not really feeling that epic pop Kanye sound from the last couple of years.

nice last track - where did that come from?

and he's still not my kind of rapper.

(i sound like i'm hating! maybe i am...)

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    The album would be perfection if he would've replaced those two(Monster & So Appalled) weak ass posse cuts.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Can I please take two seconds to hate on him for retracting his Katrina comments?

Thank You.

Nine times out of 10, he isn't making music I enjoy. I am happy it makes some of you happy, though.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    bassie said:
    Can I please take two seconds to hate on him for retracting his Katrina comments?

Thank You.

This.

It's convenient that he has an album dropping and bush is promoting his book at the same time.

• day said:
    bassie said:

Thank You.

This.

It's convenient that he has an album dropping and bush is promoting his book at the same time.

day, you just blew up my mind grapes

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    wow that quote was my favorite thing kanye ever did
    i like devil dress and dark fantasy
    not much else

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Goddamn this album is fucking killing... High praise.