What would you do? (Ebay related)

the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
so i sell a record to a dude in England, the dude is a first time buyer and I cut dudes a break when they are but...The dude says he can't for some reason sign up for a Paypal account, he asks if i will take travelers checks, I have done it before so I say ok, When I get the checks it is $80 but he owns me $84. Also the checks need to be signed twice by him but are only signed once, I e-mail him telling him about the signatures he tells me to copy his signature...what should I do? send his checks back and do the second chance offer to someone else, copy his sig and see what happens at the bank...

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Copy his signature IF the traveler's check looks legit. If it does not look legit, send it back. If legit, then say if you don't get the remaining $4, you'll be sending it surface. Why couldn't he just send you a registered letter with USD?

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    Send it back and ask for payment in full

If no luck then sell to someone else, don't put up with this bs.

• is there anyway i can prevent the neg feedback that he might give out spite

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    To his credit, I believe traveler's checks can only be in round numbers like 20, 40,60,80,etc

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    There are a lot of check scams out there now. Exam them for all the anti-counterfit marks. If you have any questions take them to your bank and have them look at them. Call the check issuer and they can help you determine fraud.

I would not forge his sig. Send them back to be signed and ask him to include 2 pounds, or 3 euros for the balance.

Q: Why do 1st time buyers get a better deal than repeat buyers?

Dan

• MassiveMassive 194 Posts

Just send it back to him and request additional funds and a correct signature. If he doesn't want to comply, file a mutual agreement to not continue auction and recoup your listing loss-relist. Maybe even hold onto it until after the summer slump.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

ask him to include 2 pounds, or 3 euros for the balance.

Dont do that because those denominations only come in coins and banks in the US wont change coins only bills. If you do find a bank that will do it you will have to pay a huge fee.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Tell him to include 8 packs of Rizla. They cost about 3 times as much over here so you'll be making. Then send them to me and I'll paypal you 4 dollars.

LOL.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Tell him to include 8 packs of Rizla. They cost about 3 times as much over here so you'll be making. Then send them to me and I'll paypal you 4 dollars.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

ask him to include 2 pounds, or 3 euros for the balance.

Dont do that because those denominations only come in coins and banks in the US wont change coins only bills. If you do find a bank that will do it you will have to pay a huge fee.

Didn't think about the coin problem.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

I'm an importer-exporter, although the importing is in a slump right now... or was it the exporting?!

• There are a lot of check scams out there now. Exam them for all the anti-counterfit marks. If you have any questions take them to your bank and have them look at them. Call the check issuer and they can help you determine fraud.

i don't question their authenticity, they are real

I would not forge his sig. Send them back to be signed and ask him to include 2 pounds, or 3 euros for the balance.

i don't want to forge either, cause I don't want to fuck around after I send hime the record and then the bank tells me they have a problem with them

Q: Why do 1st time buyers get a better deal than repeat buyers?

Dan

i didn't say that they get a better deal than repeat buyers, i would do the same for them

right now i think iam going to send him the checks back and do a second chance to the lower bidder who has good feedback, if i do a second chance does the high bidder still have the ability to leave me bad feedback?

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    This has scam written all over it. Send back the travelers check and tell him to do it right. Don't copy the signature. It's illegal. Sure, you probably won't get busted but is it worth it for $84?

• edubedub 715 Posts

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Send back those checks - who knows what could happen with that? I do think that traveller's checks are only sold in 20, 40, 60, 80, so it makes sense that he'd be short 4 bucks...Anyway, this sounds weird; why not just get a postal money order? It could be possible that dude sent them off to you & reported them stolen, hoping that you'd send of the lp upon recepit of his payment. I'd send it back & sencond chance it.

Peace

h

• well i just e-mailed him and told him i am going to send the checks back, and if he still wants the record it's paypal or nada cause at this point i don't even want to fuck around with a money order.

iam just worried about the negative feedback, is there anything i can do to prevent this?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    well i just e-mailed him and told him i am going to send the checks back, and if he still wants the record it's paypal or nada cause at this point i don't even want to fuck around with a money order.

iam just worried about the negative feedback, is there anything i can do to prevent this?

I think you can contest feedback if its unfair & you can leave a comment explaining your position. Beyond that, I'm not certain...Maybe the guys who sell volume on the bay could chime in?

h

• well i just e-mailed him and told him i am going to send the checks back, and if he still wants the record it's paypal or nada cause at this point i don't even want to fuck around with a money order.

I think you can contest feedback if its unfair & you can leave a comment explaining your position. Beyond that, I'm not certain...Maybe the guys who sell volume on the bay could chime in?

h

not. there is nothing you can do about negative feedback. you can leave a comment about it about that's it.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    well i just e-mailed him and told him i am going to send the checks back, and if he still wants the record it's paypal or nada cause at this point i don't even want to fuck around with a money order.

h

not. there is nothing you can do about negative feedback. you can leave a comment about it about that's it.

Once, I left a negative someone & we fixed shit up & the feedback was withdrawn after I emailed ebay. It was still visable in their account, but didn't count in their feedback score & there was an attached note saying that the feedback was annuled. I guess that's kinda different, tho.

h

Once, I left a negative someone & we fixed shit up & the feedback was withdrawn after I emailed ebay. It was still visable in their account, but didn't count in their feedback score & there was an attached note saying that the feedback was annuled. I guess that's kinda different, tho.

i think it has to be mutually withdrawn.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Did your original listing say you only take PayPal? Cause if you change the rules now, he has a reason to give you negative, even if he has been fucking the whole thing up. I would return the checks but say send me cash by registered letter, postal money order in US funds, or use paypal - if I don't get paid withing XXX days, I won't leave you negative feedback, but I will file non-paying bidder to get my refund, and relist the item.